Author Topic: Biggest Noctua cooler on the Asus Dual socket WS  (Read 4997 times)

2017-02-21, 12:45:27

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hello everyone,

I am potentially looking into buying a really good cooling solution for a dual Xeon configuration. Summers get hot so I'd like to go as big as possible.

My question is, what is the largest (and most effective) Noctua cooling solution you can put on a dual Xeon rig on the Z10PE-D16 WS motherboard? Ram clearance is also important so lets say we got 8 out of 16 slots in use...

I'd really appreciate any and all opinions you guys have on this so feel free to chime in. Thanks in advance!
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2017-03-01, 21:29:49
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Are you sure you didn't ask this before ? Or was it someone else wondering if they can fit NH-D15 twice :- ).

It's Noctua UH-14S, or other slimmer heatsink with 140mm fans. Full clearance and powerful/silent.

I mean it's possible to do water loop but hardly necessary :- ).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-03-07, 15:56:41
Reply #2

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Sorry for the super later response!

Yeah I remember asking a similar question way back but that was a little more specific - whether the Noctua 15s can be mounted on a supermicro board.

NH-D15, as far as I can tell, can't be fitted. UH-14 is also too big (by the looks of it) so the "top end" solution from Noctua would apparently be the UH-14S.

Don't get me wrong, I know these CPUs are fine with smaller coolers but just for the sake of it ... and because I could fit it into the budget ... I am looking at the best option. Watercooling is out of the question - I am too afraid of leaks :)

2017-03-08, 12:04:29
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I am not aware there ever was any "U14" ? U14S, is single-fan heatsink, but second fan can be added. It doesn't necessarily improve the cooling in this setup.

As you can see in my photo, the second fans could still fit just fine.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-03-08, 12:52:57
Reply #4

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If anyone wants to get rid of their Noctua NH-D14 (with 2011 mounting kit), I'd be happy to buy it if the price is right ;)

2017-03-14, 22:56:38
Reply #5

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Thanks for the feedback!

Your photo Juraj was pretty much what I was looking at for reference :)

2017-03-26, 22:06:35
Reply #6

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Uh, reviving an old topic here.

Juraj, based on your image, are all the PCI-E slots fully usable with modern GPUs? That right heatsink seems to be hanging a little low there :)