Author Topic: SkyPark by Zaha Hadid  (Read 18017 times)

2016-12-08, 17:00:00

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi guys, lots of nice projects posted on forums these days, would like to join with few. This is project Veronika and I had done back in summer, using Corona using Corona 1.4.

We were given full freedom with this project, and had done interior design (to match the upper-middle class clientelle), styling, camera choices and photography. I wish we could have worked on the penthouses, but those were sold to foreign investors without need for images :- )

I will try to answer any question in bursts, some time ago started using ColdTurkey to block forums and lot of sites to avoid procrastrinating :- ) Highly suggest, heh. If you need faster answer, you can ask under FB post.
I will post two short making offs under this post.

Behance http://bit.ly/SKYPARK (easier browsing experience here due to new full-screen mode)
« Last Edit: 2016-12-08, 17:29:12 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-12-08, 17:00:22
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Short making off 1: (reserve place)

A short making of from the Terrace view. It's from the first Final version so there little bit of difference but I will explain what I later learned to do differently, but it's not much.

(1)This is raw render. You can see it's linear ( HL=1), with no post (there was none in version 1.5 of Corona). Looks pretty bland :- )
You can also see the HDRi visible behind glass has blue bellow horizon, not black. That's because I mirrored blue (and under-exposed) from the HDRi so I get little bit more blue colour bounce (like I would from the city streets).

(2)In 1.4 Corona version, I still used VFB+ to get tonemapping and little bit of color correction and bloom. I also use LUT which here is basically just little S-Curve.
I already do all of this in Corona framebuffer since 1.5 version.

(3) Most of the time, I don't maintain linear post-production, because I don't need to do any linear compositing (reflection pass,etc..) and because I already applied tonemapping and LUT in framebuffer.
So I used 16bit Tiff. 16bit to get more color bandwidth (to avoid banding and artifacts during post-production), and still get some dynamic range ( +/- 4 stops maybe ? ). I simply prefer TIFF compared to PNG or Targa as I find it works most seemlessly with alpha channel across every application. These days I use .exr even for tonemapped simply because it saves disc space (esp. for channels). Just that.

(4)I keep the base file as smart layer so I can always re-adjust my CameraRaw filter where most of my big post-production happens ( mostly curves and gradients ).
I add background as simple alpha channel background, but overlay some reflections onto glass using reflection channel and glass matID mask.
The other layers are just little local touch-ups.

(5)You can see I actually use "fake" lights from side and back :- ).
I don't consider them fake, this is something photographer would do with flash moving around (american style) to add some additional shadows and highlights in focal points.
« Last Edit: 2016-12-08, 22:20:43 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-12-08, 17:03:00
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Short making off 2: (reserve place)

2016-12-08, 17:09:08
Reply #3

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Insane work as usual Juraj! The blackplate integration is really great - did you get them supplied by the client or are they custom?
Vray who?

2016-12-08, 17:13:27
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Insane work as usual Juraj! The blackplate integration is really great - did you get them supplied by the client or are they custom?

Veronika shot them from opposite building high-rise owned by competitor developer :- D It was done in silence.

One thing I learned...bring sunglasses if you plan shooting sunset/golden/hour....and jacket if you plan to stay shooting blue-hour and night.

I was blind and caught cold next day.

2016-12-08, 17:16:22
Reply #5

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Veronika shot them from opposite building high-rise owned by competitor developer :- D It was done in silence.

One thing I learned...bring sunglasses if you plan shooting sunset/golden/hour....and jacket if you plan to stay shooting blue-hour and night.

I was blind and caught cold next day.

Haha good stuff man, serious dedication to your work.
Vray who?

2016-12-08, 19:54:49
Reply #6

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
The exterior ones are amazing, love the colors! Great work on the inside too, though I find the chair/champagne stuff looks oddly distorted. Enough to actually disturb the otherwise great image (top one). I wonder if this could have been avoided by simply moving the camera back, adjust clipping and lower the FOV? But I'm sure you have tried everything as I get it's a killer shot ;)

Great work as always you two!
My small 3D model shop: www.ikonoform.com/shop
My arch viz blog: www.ikonoform.com/blog

2016-12-08, 20:57:06
Reply #7

Paul Springer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good Jens, does an artist clip or change focal length (and stay inside real world walls) in exchange for some distortion.  I think style choice plus the client wants a full view of the product.   Juraj can you comment please.  Composition may be the most quietly difficult challenge with Archviz we have unlimited choices.

2016-12-08, 21:21:33
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The camera was our choice, accepting the distortion. The camera is already behind (almost 2 meters inside wall) and this is as far as focal length/clipping would work.

Reason for that is simple, this is very small, oval shaped terrace. If you want to make it look grand, and focus on the view and general feeling, the space and how it's perceived is unimportant in comparison.

I know people in archviz are allergic to wide-angle and distortion, but they are tools to be used for architecture and are super common in photography. I just embrace it, even though it's on the edge often. And quite frankly, even if that might seem wrong or ugly to some, I like the dynamic of such perspective often :- ) At some point is simply becomes a personal choice, a willful breaking of rules, like over-exposure, another thing I love to do that constantly irritates someone.

Catalogues need few "hero" shots, not multiple 50mm charismatic shots for instagram. Even if they look better, it's not option sadly.. and I accept that, it makes sense. This shot needed to encompass the lifestyle offered by this apartment, the connection between all the space, grandness of something that's not really that grand... selling an illusion a little bit, basically...marketing. People looking to buy it, they barely notice what kind of chair that is or that bottle is distorted. The super wide-angle makes it sort of abstract.

This is not something I would do for project describing architecture. But we're not selling architecture here at all.

But don't take it my reasoning makes it right :- D There is no need to like it, just explaining my thoughts that go into this.
« Last Edit: 2016-12-08, 21:50:31 by Juraj_Talcik »

2016-12-08, 21:52:47
Reply #9

Paul Springer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Outstanding marketing piece.  Sells the romance beautifully.  Great tips juraj.   ty.

2016-12-08, 21:57:10
Reply #10

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Outstanding marketing piece.  Sells the romance beautifully.  Great tips juraj.   ty.

Funny thing is the client had different issue with this shot originally. This is the biggest apartment (3-room), I mean, if we ignore the giant penthouses on top that were not visualized :- D (Because it would be in Saudi Emiratis style...)

But we could only fit single chair into the terrace and the shot...the shot simply didn't look good with two chairs. Marketing guy was afraid people would think we're selling this space for single people (and honestly, it will be sold more to single rich people than families, despite whatever they claim).

The solution ? Put two glasses of champagne :- D

2016-12-08, 22:46:18
Reply #11

zuliban

• Active Users
    • View Profile
night shoots  have really nice colors ,congrats !

2016-12-09, 08:08:38
Reply #12

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
I stopped commenting on arch-viz almost completely since it's all boring and generic lately.. but wow man, your work is simply so beautiful I couldn't resist not to. I could look at those images and admire them for hours. Attention to details and careful polishing of every single part of the image makes this one hell of a project! Thanks for sharing and keep being one of the best :)

Regards,
Tom
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2016-12-09, 09:35:09
Reply #13

tolgahan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Architectural visualization & Graphic design
Lovely night color palette and clean renders.
Imagination is more important than knowlege

2016-12-09, 09:54:57
Reply #14

Majeranek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As always awesome! :)
Juraj, How you did that contrasty sky (blue-orange) on main visualisation? It's just a HDRI?
marjoramstudio.com Website
be.net/filipmalecki Behance Portfolio
Instagram Instagram Profile