Author Topic: Better texture viewport representation (show map)  (Read 9858 times)

2016-04-21, 00:49:31

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The said material is multi-material, and the diffuse is MIX-map. It doesn't show the actual result of the mix when checked, but Vray perfectly does.

Edit: Faulty 3dsMax's maps are to blame. Temporary solution is to use node which has functioning "show shaded", on top of your nodal tree, such as ColorCorrect for example. That is, if you want to propagate such node to 100 materials that you mix map.
Ultimate solution would be to see how Vray can work around this and be able to use "show shaded" on top/material level.

It's not deal-breaking thing, but Interactive isn't always feasible (and it never will for actual scene work like dressing space, there is just too much lag for that), so the viewport should look somehow representive of the result. Esp. when viewports are getting more and more real-time.

DISCLAIMER for reading comprehension: This has nothing to do with ConverterScript function "show diffuse", which just activates top node with "show shaded" in diffuse slot. Which, doesn't work in all cases. A point of this request.

Illustration better than 1000 words:

Render:

Viewport:

« Last Edit: 2016-04-21, 23:35:43 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-04-21, 01:06:36
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Piggy-backing on this: What was the reason Corona can't display the final look in viewport but only top map in particular slot (and even that mostly works just for individual bitmaps).

This makes it big hassle when doing scene dressing with big amount of assets that requires color coordination in viewport. There is a point when I don't remember how the asset looks (books are good example).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-04-21, 09:21:51
Reply #2

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
vote +1 for this. I don't want to always use IR for some negligible need like this :)
if it is possible, all corona texmap (coronamix, coronaAO, coronafrontback) should be compatible with usual viewport shading.

2016-04-21, 10:50:18
Reply #3

Cheesemsmsm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is annoying me too.
and another thing, is it possible to make Corona materials support "Show shaded material in viewport" in the future version?
I know I can go to a specific node and click the button. It's just a little thing but really annoying me.

2016-04-21, 11:03:40
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
What was the reason Corona can't

3ds Max API... :/
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-04-21, 11:53:29
Reply #5

Frenkkk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I had the same problem
I solved it using show map in corona converter

2016-04-21, 12:03:34
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I had the same problem
I solved it using show map in corona converter

That's not the same problem. This is using "show map" already. But because it's in (either) multi-material, or the mix-map, it doesn't show the actual result of mixing texture and mask.

2016-04-21, 12:04:15
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
What was the reason Corona can't

3ds Max API... :/

But how does Vray do it ? This same material works perfectly in Vray in viewport.

2016-04-21, 14:37:35
Reply #8

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz

2016-04-21, 14:44:58
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Juraj, the top picture - did you use 3ds Max Mix, or CoronaMix texmap? AFAIK CoronaMix should work pretty fine.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-04-21, 16:30:21
Reply #10

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I did not use anything, this is converted material from commercial model (ModelPlusModel vol.6), and it uses 3dsMax's 'Mix' (Corona's Mix is called 'CoronaMix' and has completely different UI and does something completely else despite name afaik).

Actually, after further testing, this behaviour happens in Vray as well when using "show shaded" while in mix, but, is aleviated by using "show shaded" in material itself, feature, Corona does not support.

The MixMap is therefore Autodesk's fault, but show shaded should still work in Corona. This particular case shows that simply being able to show top level node doesn't suffice for all cases.

2016-04-21, 21:50:20
Reply #11

moadr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Vermeer by Stableworks
Tomorrow when I am in the office I will have a look into this. I have to check how the materials are built up, but as I also use some of these collections I can say that it works fine for me. When I import the files with the vray materials on top, after converting them to corona materials all the diffuse textures get turned off and only the diffuse color of the books show up. But after selecting the specific objects and selecting the "show diffuse map for selected objects in viewport" option inside the material conversion script it works fine for me.
I will double check it just to make sure and will let you know what I find.
Adrian Moorsel

Vermeer by Stableworks   |   https://stableworks.tech

2016-04-21, 23:02:57
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Guys, I am not yesterday.. I am glad "show diffuse" is mentioned second time in this thread but no.

This has nothing to do with ConverterScript function "show diffuse", which just activates top node with "show shaded" in diffuse slot, which you can do manually as well. Which, doesn't work in all cases where that given node doesn't work properly (Autodesk fault). A point of this request thread.

If the top level map is texture map, or composite, or CoronaMix, it will show, because 3dsMax knows what to show. 'Mix' map, doesn't have this feature working correctly (Autodesk fault), and only full material-level "show shaded" works in those cases, and Vray and other engines support this feature. Corona currently does not.

I attach examples from this particular collection, of course all of them work mostly, but not those setup using 'mix' node. That's the 5th asset group, the only one with interchangeable masks.

« Last Edit: 2016-04-21, 23:44:21 by Juraj_Talcik »

2016-04-21, 23:14:36
Reply #13

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Temporary solution to this issue, is to use another node on top of 'mix' which has correctly functioning "show shaded" function. For example 'ColorCorrect' node.

But the ultimate solution is just to use material to do this automatically, otherwise each nodal structure will have to keep particular node on top to visually function in viewport. Otherwise I have to modify hundreds of materials with performance degrading node (output doesn't show either of course, but that's again Autodesk's fault).

Did something like this ever made it into "small requests" on Autodesk Area ? Did ChaosGroup patched this by themselves ? Golden Unreal4...
« Last Edit: 2016-04-21, 23:22:01 by Juraj_Talcik »

2016-04-22, 03:43:21
Reply #14

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
Temporary solution to this issue, is to use another node on top of 'mix' which has correctly functioning "show shaded" function. For example 'ColorCorrect' node.

But the ultimate solution is just to use material to do this automatically, otherwise each nodal structure will have to keep particular node on top to visually function in viewport. Otherwise I have to modify hundreds of materials with performance degrading node (output doesn't show either of course, but that's again Autodesk's fault).

Did something like this ever made it into "small requests" on Autodesk Area ? Did ChaosGroup patched this by themselves ? Golden Unreal4...
aha that's a smart solution, but if we add a node above it I think it will affect rendering performance eventhough we keep it at default values ,am I right?