Author Topic: The new Corona Converter feedback thread  (Read 65080 times)

2022-05-03, 18:03:02
Reply #135

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi corona Team,

Any possibility to add an option to convert "Selected materials only"?

2022-05-24, 22:11:23
Reply #136

grasshopper

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have to say, wither you regard it as a step forward in material creation, physical accuracy or anything else, it is a huge step back in workflow and usability. Converting almost all materials to metals and a load of materials to max physical materials is totally useless and makes it completely unusable.

The old converter was excellent, and to say if you are not including a converter for legacy materials because it is not the way forward it is incredibly arrogant. We need the tools to do our jobs so get it implemented so we can work, and then when you get a working Corona 7/8 converter phase out the old one if you have to.

I have very little interest it converting from corona 6 to 7 or 8, we wouldn't render jobs across 2 different versions. What we NEED is a quick and reliable way to get models from clients and get them in a state where we can start improving them. Not re-texturing them from the start.

Please put your users first not your ideals.

Rant over

2022-05-26, 21:35:58
Reply #137

denisgo22

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have to say, wither you regard it as a step forward in material creation, physical accuracy or anything else, it is a huge step back in workflow and usability. Converting almost all materials to metals and a load of materials to max physical materials is totally useless and makes it completely unusable.

The old converter was excellent, and to say if you are not including a converter for legacy materials because it is not the way forward it is incredibly arrogant. We need the tools to do our jobs so get it implemented so we can work, and then when you get a working Corona 7/8 converter phase out the old one if you have to.

I have very little interest it converting from corona 6 to 7 or 8, we wouldn't render jobs across 2 different versions. What we NEED is a quick and reliable way to get models from clients and get them in a state where we can start improving them. Not re-texturing them from the start.

Please put your users first not your ideals.

Rant over

+++100
I don't remember when was the last time I used a new converter in last Corona versions/  it is absolutely impossible to use it because you will never be even approximately sure of the final result. especially nice with multimaterials from others models libraries/ I just kept the old converter as a script.

2022-05-27, 09:09:39
Reply #138

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
We are working in improving the converter, some changes were already merged and will appear in daily builds soon
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2022-06-10, 12:26:48
Reply #139

grasshopper

• Active Users
    • View Profile

+++100
I don't remember when was the last time I used a new converter in last Corona versions/  it is absolutely impossible to use it because you will never be even approximately sure of the final result. especially nice with multimaterials from others models libraries/ I just kept the old converter as a script.

Hi Denisgo, Don't suppose you have a copy of that script you can post? or a link where I can get it please.

Thanks

2022-06-10, 12:57:01
Reply #140

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2022-06-10, 14:45:55
Reply #141

grasshopper

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2022-07-05, 17:27:26
Reply #142

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

I have some questions and some comments about corona converter :

01. Chaos Cosmos assets using only .tx textures. The only benefit of this format is mipmapping. Does corona renderer support this internal mipmap instructions or it is currently used in "read only" mode ?
      If corona have some internal benefits using .tx textures, it will be great to have the option in converter to convert classic jpg/png/tiffs to tx format. If not, then it will be great to have the option to convert tx textures back to common jpg file format.

02. It seems that corona converter does not currently support VraySwitchMaterial... It is very sad, because a lot of things are made with this function (especially product scenes, where you need fast look switch). It would be really great to have it, especially because corona has own beautiful CoronaSelectMaterial... (please look at coronaConverter-00.jpg)

03. If I want to get some help and I click on "performance and debugging FAQ", then -> whoops, the page does not exists (please look at coronaConverter-01.jpg and coronaConverter-02.jpg)

Thanks in advance

2022-07-06, 13:09:41
Reply #143

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

I have some questions and some comments about corona converter :

Point 3 is fixed, thank you for reporting. It is now linked to the main "Corona" folder with all articles in it, but I am afraid this is the best we can do right now. We are working on improving the documentation / FAQ, especially on its structure.

We will provide some feedback about the other points ASAP.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-07-06, 16:22:47
Reply #144

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I really appreciate the new 'force non-metal option.'  I wish there was also a way to disable it trying to emulate non-physical legacy materials by plugging in an IOR map.  I usually just run Batchmat to remove all IOR maps, but it would be cool if the converter had a 'Do not override IOR' checkbox....just my $0.02.  Cheers,
Daniel

2022-07-07, 21:02:03
Reply #145

JG_monomiru

• Active Users
  • JG
    • View Profile
    • www.gehrcken.de
Yep the IOR thing is really annoying.

2022-08-04, 09:40:10
Reply #146

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
About this point:

01. Chaos Cosmos assets using only .tx textures. The only benefit of this format is mipmapping. Does corona renderer support this internal mipmap instructions or it is currently used in "read only" mode ?
      If corona have some internal benefits using .tx textures, it will be great to have the option in converter to convert classic jpg/png/tiffs to tx format. If not, then it will be great to have the option to convert tx textures back to common jpg file format.

We only have initial support for TX textures so that we can render Cosmos assets. We are working on some improvements (out of core rendering of textures) that would work not only with TX but with all texture formats. The main benefit is potentially saving a lot of RAM. This is listed for V9 at https://trello.com/b/EfPE4kPx/corona-tentative-road-map-3ds-max

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-08-24, 17:32:44
Reply #147

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
1 - I often convert VRay or legacy Corona materials and it drops a map into an IOR slot.  It would be GREAT to have a feature to turn this off (similar to forcing 'non-metal.') 

2 - The above behavior also often kicks an error 'Falloff map in Fresnel mode is not supported in Base IOR Slot.'  If it's not supported, why would the converter put a fresnel falloff in IOR in the first place...?

Thanks!
Daniel

2022-09-17, 20:02:12
Reply #148

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For some reason all of the 3 latest daily builds give me this error on the converter start

the error appears when starting any of the "new" versions of the converter, I checked starting from 2.04
"old" 1.46 version runs without problems

I have 2 versions of 3ds max installed on my machine 2022.3 and 2023.2, Corona is in each

I've tried
  • reinstalling Corona in different configs multiple times
  • deleting the ENU folder
  • deleting CoronaConverter.ini
  • increasing initial heap allocation

2022-10-11, 17:39:18
Reply #149

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
About this point:

We only have initial support for TX textures so that we can render Cosmos assets. We are working on some improvements (out of core rendering of textures) that would work not only with TX but with all texture formats. The main benefit is potentially saving a lot of RAM. This is listed for V9 at https://trello.com/b/EfPE4kPx/corona-tentative-road-map-3ds-max

Hello Maru,

thanks for the information!

may I ask you - where can I found some detailed information about vray materials and vray texture nodes which are supported (and not) by corona converter ?

a lot of cool information here, but not what I'm searching now:
https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4526289638033-How-to-use-the-Corona-Converter-Corona-7-and-newer-

I'm looking for something like this:
https://docs.chaos.com/display/VMAX/V-Ray+Scene+Converter

I found some text in converter itself, but the content between it and "convert by class" list is different.

Best regards