Author Topic: Corona Renderer 1.6 for 3ds Max, Hotfix 2 released  (Read 7874 times)

2017-07-24, 16:57:54

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Corona Renderer 1.6 for 3ds Max, Hotfix 2 released! Download it here https://corona-renderer.com/download/

- Removed old and unused image samplers
- Added new and improved image sampler, capable of up to 100% speedup; on by default for all new and old scenes
- Changed rounded edges algorithm: new one is much faster and produces no noise, but works on same object only
- Removed now obsolete parameters of rounded edges - samples and include/exclude mode

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2017-07-24, 17:16:31
Reply #1

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
- Changed rounded edges algorithm: new one is much faster and produces no noise, but works on same object only
- Removed now obsolete parameters of rounded edges - samples and include/exclude mode

What does that mean in a real world setting? Will the problems that was discussed before hotfix 1 (ugly lines in the middle of a surface caused by internal polygons etc) return?

2017-07-24, 19:07:17
Reply #2

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys! I've just tested the new hotfix in one simple scene and i'm barely seeing any speed benefits if i set the same fixed noise level for both. Setting a fixed noise level of 6% in this particular case produces a more cleaner image on the hotfix 2 render though. I guess the old image sampler sees noise differently from the new one? See attachments.

2017-07-24, 19:13:34
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile

What does that mean in a real world setting? Will the problems that was discussed before hotfix 1 (ugly lines in the middle of a surface caused by internal polygons etc) return?
yes, these problems will probably return (not all of them - depends on the specific geometry). We are trying to find a solution that solve all cases, it might be done in a week or two

Hey guys! I've just tested the new hotfix in one simple scene and i'm barely seeing any speed benefits if i set the same fixed noise level for both. Setting a fixed noise level of 6% in this particular case produces a more cleaner image on the hotfix 2 render though. I guess the old image sampler sees noise differently from the new one? See attachments.
yes, unfortunately the noise estimation is not perfect (it is a theoretical model that has assumptions about the noise that are not always true), and it generally estimates the new and old images as having the same noise for same amount of passes, even though the new image is much cleaner. The best solution is to adjust your usually used noise levels - this is the new standard in Corona.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-07-24, 19:17:21
Reply #4

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah, that's the method i figured also :)

2017-07-24, 20:38:30
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Maybe not 100% but definitely an improvement. Also noticed that displacement is slightly more detailed in jul 24 build. Was something done to it or is it due to improved sampler?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-07-24, 22:38:09
Reply #6

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I found the biggest difference in interiors with UHD cache enabled, then in exteriors lit mostly by direct light from HDRI. I should also test scenes with many lights, I suspect the differnce there being big ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-07-25, 08:11:18
Reply #7

SS

• Users
    • View Profile
I found 3ds Max 2017 crash with Corona 1.6 hotfix 2. Hotfix 1 work correctly.  Test scene: interior with 18000000 polygons

2017-07-25, 08:28:07
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
can you upload minidump of the crash? Are you sure you are not running out of memory, as the hotfix takes up to 15% more memory?

2017-07-25, 11:41:10
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Some tests - 1.6 hf1 vs 1.6 hf2:

1. DOF
Speed and noise quality is similar, but in hf2 you don't get the "patterns" in strong dof, manifested by the "holes" in blurry areas.

2. Interior with UHD Cache - 5 minutes
Generally lower noise level, and the noise patter is more "pleasant". Also more details are visible in the noisy areas - e.g. on fine textures, when there are subtle shadows, etc.

3. Rounded corners
One pass:

« Last Edit: 2017-07-25, 11:46:43 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-07-29, 22:30:45
Reply #10

rodrigogkf

• Users
    • View Profile
how did I use rounded corners?

2017-07-29, 23:36:44
Reply #11

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Just plug CoronaRoundEdges map into materials bump slot and you're good to go.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-07-30, 01:10:56
Reply #12

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice compilation MarcĂ­n!