Author Topic: Pricing and release date announced  (Read 190821 times)

2014-10-08, 19:57:56
Reply #105

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think there is a lot of movement here, and since a few posts we are walking in circles, I propose that we let some time to the team to explain the different things like the Box subscription and such things, and let's see what they say, what do you think?

Cheers!

Yep, and on that note. My personal opinion there should not be any box model here. There should be their SaaS model and expansion of nodes (like standard 3 nodes plus extra 6 nodes for $$(to have a complete of 10 including workstation) and 14 extra nodes for $$ and if you need more and then price per node or share revenue model)

The way I see it is that the box model is for somebody who actually believes that current version is enough for them "forever" and that is just delusional.. maybe in a world without a competition.

I want to see constant push forward in corona, just like it did until now. You can really see every month or so after you get that update that somebody has been working hard on it...

I don't want bullshit cosmetic updates I don't want to pay monthly for something I don't care about.

But yes, this is just my own personal view on this... :)

2014-10-08, 20:03:37
Reply #106

AdamHotovy

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Corona Heisenberg
    • View Profile
    • Corona Renderer
Hi guys, as I wrote on facebook earlier, we really like that we have started discussion and it is interesting to read your opinions and suggestions.
We went through the points raised here, fb and emails and we made conclusions which we would like to present probably at some point tomorrow.
I just want to let everyone know, that we read every post and that we are already sadly aware that we cannot make everyone happy. It is not possible.
I like turtles.

2014-10-08, 20:15:40
Reply #107

zzubnik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, as I wrote on facebook earlier, we really like that we have started discussion and it is interesting to read your opinions and suggestions.
We went through the points raised here, fb and emails and we made conclusions which we would like to present probably at some point tomorrow.
I just want to let everyone know, that we read every post and that we are already sadly aware that we cannot make everyone happy. It is not possible.

You will never make everybody happy! Good luck though, this is a product that deserves to do well.

2014-10-08, 21:16:32
Reply #108

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile

That's for sure Adam, that is impossible, but it's great that you are concerned about this, you are talking about this and you are thinking in solutions and options :)

Cheers.

2014-10-08, 21:29:56
Reply #109

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
This is an interesting topic for me to really think about. I use MAX and Corona at work and at home, but the home side is more hobby as I don't freelance very often, even though I'd like to.

For me, I think the box method is best, as paying one price up front is fine. To be honest, if we are all already producing such terrific work with what Corona provides, I don't forsee needing to constantly update for a few new tidbits here and there. The same goes for any other software. Given what is to be included in the official sales version release, I can't imagine what more I'd need to produce great work. A hobby version with, lets say, limitations on output resolution and a few other things would be great for my home use. You guys already have an awesome product. Adding the interactive rendering, SSSR, GGX and small things now is great, and I can't honestly see what else I'd need. I don't do animation (only archviz), so in my mind only a few other things would make Corona completely dominate everything else (material presets, faster calculation methods for mats/lighting, etc).

The idea of a small subscription for updates in addition to the box payment is also great. I'd be willing to pay more for some upgrades when I feel they are necessary or would enhance my work.  I am quite content with what we have, so I would think I could pay more later down the road for any monumental improvements as long as I can keep producing what I already do with what is available now. Anything that Corona doesn't do can be covered by 3rd party plugins, bare new materials/maps and implementation of new/better GI solutions and whatnot. The biggest thing that is worth the money in my eyes is speed; but half of that is attributed to the software while the other half is my hardware.

I guess what I really want to ask is what would make it worth it for me to do one payment method over the other? How many additional features can be added over time that would make me want to use one over the other? Do you have a long term plan or idea of what more Corona can do in the next few years? I feel like at some point the software, and this goes for nearly any software, can peak and the only improvements would then be on the code side in terms of performance.

So many things to consider in the next couple of months. As an aside, are you guys worried about piracy? Let's face it, someone is going to want to crack Corona once it goes into pay mode.

2014-10-09, 00:34:45
Reply #110

AnubisMe

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think the price is very good considering how much Vray costs. I hope Corona begins to catch on, and see this turn into a global success.

2014-10-09, 02:41:53
Reply #111

fco3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
First congrats to the Corona team for this great next step and all the effort in try to make it as affordable as possible, yes you will never make everybody happy, it is just the size of the beast really.
I am already in  Adobe CC and soon I'll need to start with Autodesk rental, yes some people does not like it, but for my freelancing it works. The Saas option is not strange to me and I feel is the option that I will take.
With all that said, I think the only problem (if we can call it that way) with the Box model, is the "feel" of lack of support, I know that Corona team didn't meant to do this, but invest in a software and know that after pay you are in your own, it feel not right.  I do understand the points, but I also think that maybe because of the difference type of approach SaaS and box, maybe they can just not coexist together in a product.  Maybe this is why Adobe cut everything and just keep CC, and that's why Autodesk is cancelling the updates and moving to a rental style.  Maybe the only way to make everybody happy would be a Box model, with constant updates and areate at the moment of a next realease, this would be weird because at the same time you have a very generous Saas model, and the developers will have to bite the bullet to make everybody happy?  think about it

Regarding renders nodes, free is always good, but I think that 3 render nodes is very generous, VRay give you one, Cinema 4D give you 3 and so on. More render nodes I would not call it Hobby, come on guys be honest, there is a lot of work developing a software, let us not abuse, this team is generous enough in spend all this time to make most of us happy, they need to make a living, or at least get paid for all the time invested in this software.
and since I am ready the corona Blog always it mentioned a free version for Hobby or people that can't pay no need to complain so much.
my two cents, or equivalent currency :p

2014-10-09, 07:51:36
Reply #112

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The price is nice. Except only 3 render nodes per license.

If we have only one workstation and 20 render nodes (we're not a commercial render farm) we have to buy 5 workstation licenses for rendernodes only. It is very strange policy. I think it will be really handy to have a rendernode license pack (if it is have to be not free for some reasons). Buying full workstation licenses seems not good in that case.

2014-10-09, 08:53:51
Reply #113

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Depends on how you look at it. It may very well be that workstation licence is simply cheap. Consider it that if you pay 20 EUR for monthly SaaS, then workstation licence costs 5 EUR, and 3 rendernodes also cost 5 EUR each. And workstation licence can be used as node licence as well. It's not like you are buying more expensive workstation licence that you don't need. You are buying ONLY rendernone licences, but as a bonus, one licence from each batch can be used as workstation one.

Or in other words, if there were rendernode licences only, they would probably cost exactly the same, just without possibility to use one of them as workstation when needed.

2014-10-09, 09:01:26
Reply #114

photomg1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I fall into the camp that refuses to rent software.So the box version would have been the only option of interest to me.
But your box support ( 90 days ) is the worst  I've ever seen on any piece of software, compare it to octane, maxwell , vray for example.

Hope you sort it out.
It's all largely irrelevant to me at the moment as I'm not a max user. Corona is just something I've had my eye on for a while hoping you would do a modo version.Must admit that your current box policy has killed my interest.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-09, 09:14:39 by photomg1 »

2014-10-09, 09:24:31
Reply #115

blank...

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But your box support ( 90 days ) is the worst

I could be wrong, but "You will get free upgrades just for 90 days." Upgrades, as in new features that are being developed, not that you'll loose all support and bugs will no longer be fixed. So coronas box is also better then others, you get new features for 90 days, then you'll have to wait for next version, you know, like with EVERY OTHER PEACE OF SOFTWARE.
Correct me if i'm wrong, that is how i got it.

2014-10-09, 09:31:18
Reply #116

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As soon as I don't even look at SaaS for me every node will cost 112 Euros (450/4) without discount. Seems to be not so cheap. Even if rendernodes needs license to be bought I see no reason to pay so much for node license.

We're (and many more) discontinued to use V-Ray for that terrible new pricing policy with render nodes. And this bad move is rising at great Corona horizon now. Sad...
« Last Edit: 2014-10-09, 11:30:34 by fobus »

2014-10-09, 09:32:58
Reply #117

photomg1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
All the other go through versions , maxwell for example went from 2 - 2.7 over a 3 year period even at 2.7 new features were added (grass).
I bought octane years ago and that had many many updated before it hit 2.0 which has now hit 2.1 with new updates .

So yes 90 days is very bad.Bug support after the 90 days has not been clarified at all on how they would proceed with issues of that ilk.

Anyway best of luck with it all .
« Last Edit: 2014-10-09, 09:41:57 by photomg1 »

2014-10-09, 09:42:39
Reply #118

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
One more question. I see no answer about type of license. Is it floating, node-locked or some other type?

2014-10-09, 11:38:26
Reply #119

arczi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I hope there will be possibility to switch the license between the computers, or at least installing on 2 computers which is standard policy in other softwares (at work or at home).