Author Topic: Real thickness of materials with opacity  (Read 14710 times)

2017-04-08, 13:38:29

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
So as per my new thread (https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=15592.new;topicseen#new) where I used real thickness for banana leaves, I think implementing thickness as a feature (something like additional displacement method) would be a pretty handy addition to the engine. The thickness with custom edges parameter can be used to enhance appearance of foliage, and can be used in many different scenarios as well like perforated surfaces etc.. I attached some examples of where this would be pretty much appliable and could save time and provide new functionality with enhanced visuall beauty.

The way I image this could work is:
1. Lets imagine we have a simple plane (no thickness) with applied material on it.
2. Material would have an opacity map (leaf opacity, perforated holes opacity, whatever) and displacement map (for leaves lets say).
3. In material editor, there would be a new set of parameters for real thickness - and those are: Thickness and Edge Chamfer (or Profile Curve for a better edges customization).
4. With these two parameters user would be able to enable real thicknes without doing a very time consuming modeling or very time consuming adjustment of opacity map to bend the edges by appying shell modifier to the object and using adjusted (blurred) opacity map do displace edges (my banana way).
5. Also it would be cool to be able to have a mask for edges to be able to alter their diffuse map separately (leaves having brighter edges attached) - this is important as well, as you can see, (banana leaves have a brighter/yellower edges what helps sell the thing as well).

So in other words:
1. Simple plane with opacity map

2. This is how it looks when rendered

3. Plus displacement map

4. With turned on "real thickness" with "round profile edges" in material editor. See that texture mapping is bednded only - working "properly".

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 2017-04-10, 16:24:56 by JakubCech »

2017-04-08, 18:24:48
Reply #1

Raman_Tarasenka

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey.

If we talk about a small deception with a thickness, then this can make sense.

But if it's really thick leaves like 2-3 mm +, it's complicated. Since the faces are the only problem
My name is Raman Tarasenka and I’m 23 years old
CGI guy...

2017-04-09, 22:16:36
Reply #2

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
I think it would really come in handy for those objects that have really subtle thickness - the kind of objects you can get away if you don't map right on the Y axis (the thickness I mean).

To me that would be really welcome.

+1
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2017-04-10, 16:19:46
Reply #3

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
Hey.
If we talk about a small deception with a thickness, then this can make sense.
But if it's really thick leaves like 2-3 mm +, it's complicated. Since the faces are the only problem
I think 2-3 mm would be actually pretty okay - even a 1cm or so.
I think it would really come in handy for those objects that have really subtle thickness - the kind of objects you can get away if you don't map right on the Y axis (the thickness I mean).To me that would be really welcome. +1
Actually Y axis would be mapped from the texture applied - because we are "bending" - this means we would have in some manner properly applied mapping on Y as well, see below my "way of thinking".

I think it would work like this:
1. Simple plane with opacity map

2. This is how it looks when rendered

3. Plus displacement map

4. With turned on "real thickness" with "round profile edges" in material editor. See that texture mapping is bednded only - working "properly".

« Last Edit: 2017-04-10, 16:24:00 by JakubCech »

2021-08-03, 14:16:08
Reply #4

Dzmitry

• Users
    • View Profile
Hey :)
Could you please write more detailed how to set up the "real thickness" in the material? Couldn't find it
I used plane + shell modifier. The material with opacity checker map.
Thank you :)

2021-08-03, 14:36:06
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
@Dzmitry, it's a feature request, there's no such thing as "real thickness" in Corona. However, you can download a scene from here and see how it can be hacked in some cases.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures