Author Topic: Tone mapping with LUTs. Corona / Photoshop / Affinity Photo  (Read 7509 times)

2022-02-09, 02:22:55

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Full tone mapping solution in just one LUT. simple and consistent between applications.
.3dl >> CIE
.csp >> PS/AP
old trusty formula for filmic look. falls somewhere between aces an fstorm. this one is ageing extremely well.

Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2022-02-09, 09:27:43
Reply #1

NicolasC

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • CG supervisor / teacher / artist
    • View Profile
Interesting, thanks for sharing !
Nicolas Caplat
CG supervisor / teacher / artist

2022-02-12, 12:48:41
Reply #2

muoto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
How do you generate all these custom luts ? any specific soft/app ?

2022-02-12, 16:21:42
Reply #3

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
notepad, spreadsheet and photoshop/affinity photo should be enough. Fusion makes it a bit easier.
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2022-02-12, 21:53:32
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Thanks for sharing these Marcin. I have few questions though. Could you modify "mP_CoronaLogUE3Filmic_5.35_64.3dl" so it would not require to load it in log space please? Also, how one supposed to use these LUTs in Affinity Photo? I tried them both and they give very odd results, one looks very flat and the other one is extremely contrasty.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-02-13, 14:14:38
Reply #5

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
what is the purpose of avoiding log transform before LUT?
and regarding Affinity Photo - only .csp would work - and what is your view transform?
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2022-02-13, 16:20:50
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models

Just a convenience. All the other LUTs does not require this checkbox to be activated - i can conveniently scroll through the LUT list in Corona and immediately see the result. The fact that i need to do additional actions on some of them, simply means that i won't use them and will remove from the list.

and regarding Affinity Photo - only .csp would work - and what is your view transform?

Sorry, i have no slightest idea what it is.

2022-02-13, 19:19:00
Reply #7

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Just a convenience. All the other LUTs does not require this checkbox to be activated - i can conveniently scroll through the LUT list in Corona and immediately see the result. The fact that i need to do additional actions on some of them, simply means that i won't use them and will remove from the list.

Sorry, i have no slightest idea what it is.

heh, this one is a bit different. it should be used with intent, it is not a “look” lut. what it does is it provides a certain flavour of filmic tone mapping. the idea is you apply the lut and don’t touch ‘tone mapping section’ of CIE. lut tone maps the image for you - “one click” tone mapping if you will. the .csp lut provides the same in post.

view transform in AP - bottom right by default. when you open .exr or .hdr image you get 3 options: unmenaged, icc and ocio.

Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2022-02-13, 21:46:22
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
view transform in AP - bottom right by default. when you open .exr or .hdr image you get 3 options: unmenaged, icc and ocio.

Heh, i applied the LUT on 8 bit image, is that why i got wrong result? I tried it on EXR and it seems to be working ok.

2022-02-16, 16:00:06
Reply #9

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
this LUT will help you create your own tone mapping LUTs for corona in PS/AP. it does the same transform as "input LUT is in log space" option in Corona.
Photoshop: open raw exr in 32bit color mode >> apply LUT and merge >> change to 16bit color mode >> create your LUT >> load in Corona with "input LUT is in log space" on.
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2022-03-16, 18:27:58
Reply #10

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice LUT, I wanted to try it in my other render engine to see the results but it doesn't support "load it in log space". It only supports .Cube files, How can this LUT be used with that?

2022-03-16, 19:13:41
Reply #11

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
which engine? does it process input above 1.0 for .cube luts or just clips input at 1.0?
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2022-03-17, 19:27:13
Reply #12

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
which engine? does it process input above 1.0 for .cube luts or just clips input at 1.0?
Hi, the Engine is Fstorm, not sure if it processes input above 1.0 for .cube luts or clips.

2022-03-17, 23:20:45
Reply #13

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
fstorm? can’t help you, sorry. sanctions.
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2022-03-18, 03:18:03
Reply #14

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
fstorm? can’t help you, sorry. sanctions.
🤷‍♂️
« Last Edit: 2022-03-18, 08:25:31 by dfcorona »