Author Topic: Curvature Shader  (Read 1523 times)

2022-02-04, 05:14:59

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I really like what you did there, also the simultaneous access to concave and convex.
What I would like is a max distance texture, similar to what the AO shader has.

And, here I am not sure, would it be possible / useful to have it for concave/convex separately?

PS
I think it would be useful to give the node two extra outports: concave and convex that would deliver a greyscale intensity map that could be used as masks in a layer shader.
« Last Edit: 2022-02-04, 05:56:58 by Cinemike »

2022-02-04, 22:58:17
Reply #1

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
To illustrate my "mask" request I added an image.
Currently it is possible, of course, to create such a mask in the way I setup the Curvature shader.
Having the convex and concave mask outports (greyscale) would be a convenience. Nothing more, but also nothing less.
And a distance map for some irregularities would be great.

I think, masks will be much more often needed than pure color outputs.

PS In the max forum I read the request for a curvature angle parameter. I support that idea.

2022-02-05, 00:09:21
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Is that supposed to be Mark Zuckerberg?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2022-02-05, 00:23:58
Reply #3

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is that supposed to be Mark Zuckerberg?

Now that you mention it ^^

2022-02-13, 00:59:43
Reply #4

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Had some time to play again ...

From left to right:
Standard curvature usage, Convex only (masked) in red, Concave only (masked) green

On a brighter base colour, the curvature effect really pales in comparison to a dark background (pun intended). I read on the Max forum that there was something in the works against that but I have no idea if that's already in our C4D daily. Or is this something else?

Anyway, I prefer using the shader as a mask, although the mixing, especially with textures involved, has its good uses, too.

Some remarks to the curvature shader on grey:

- I would have expected a stronger "reaction" on the convex bulge on the bottom (and none, neither convex nor concave on the 90° angles, that AO rather? - Do we need an angle value?)
- I still think we need separate settings for convex and concave.
- I still think two mask outports would be a pretty usefull convenience

And a question: Why is the upper concave area used by the convex AND the concave shader output?

Thx
Michael

PS There is an IR update issue (for me) when I adjust the colours in the materials (not only for the curvature shader). Sometimes, not always, IR to the viewport does not update and I need to move/rotate the viewport just a tiny bit to get an update.

« Last Edit: 2022-02-13, 01:18:42 by Cinemike »