Poll

Do you think Interactive Rendering is slower than it used to be?

Yes
32 (78%)
No
9 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: 2019-12-25, 19:34:47

Author Topic: Looking for a cause of Interactive Rendering slowdown (+Poll)  (Read 79612 times)

2019-10-10, 19:41:37
Reply #30

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
- Remove the, in my opinion, unnecessary IR subsampling (at least by default)

Personally i find IR subsampling to be very useful and i certainly don't agree with your opinion. If you don't like it, then turn it off and save the settings as defaults. Problem solved!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-10-10, 21:56:26
Reply #31

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
- Remove the, in my opinion, unnecessary IR subsampling (at least by default)

Personally i find IR subsampling to be very useful and i certainly don't agree with your opinion. If you don't like it, then turn it off and save the settings as defaults. Problem solved!

How is it useful to you, out of curiosity?

BTW, I'm not the only one who finds the subsampling annoying.
Quite honestly I don't know what is the purpose for it, and why it was brought up in the first place.
The only scenario I can see it being somehow useful is with very simple scenes.

2019-10-11, 10:16:59
Reply #32

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
How is it useful to you, out of curiosity?

It can help with setting up the composition, lighting, etc. It is easier to see the changes immediately, rather than if you move your mouse....wait....and only then observe the changes. Basically, it makes IR more responsive to your actions. See this video:
« Last Edit: 2019-10-11, 16:59:05 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-10-11, 16:46:33
Reply #33

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The link to the video seems to be broken.

Maru, wouldn't this "new image interactively blending on top of the old one" does/used to do that anyway?

It is easier to see the changes immediately

The changes don't show immediately. You can see big squares of color that hardly tell you much. The composition can be seen on the viewport in real time anyway

2019-10-11, 16:56:52
Reply #34

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A quote by Juraj, who I respect a lot.

Didn't find sub-sampling to help much since when IR is slow, this will further obfuscate the image in buffer by making it unrecognizable during those 2 seconds freeze. Without sub-sampling, I can at least directly compare changes.

Sometime all those hang-ups in bigger scenes make regular hit/quit rendering a lot faster to facilitate iteration for me.

2019-10-11, 16:59:41
Reply #35

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The link to the video seems to be broken.

Maru, wouldn't this "new image interactively blending on top of the old one" does/used to do that anyway?

It is easier to see the changes immediately

The changes don't show immediately. You can see big squares of color that hardly tell you much. The composition can be seen on the viewport in real time anyway

Fixed the link - https://youtu.be/nAx9_EDyxCw

2019-10-11, 17:03:47
Reply #36

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
A quote by Juraj, who I respect a lot.

Didn't find sub-sampling to help much since when IR is slow, this will further obfuscate the image in buffer by making it unrecognizable during those 2 seconds freeze. Without sub-sampling, I can at least directly compare changes.

Sometime all those hang-ups in bigger scenes make regular hit/quit rendering a lot faster to facilitate iteration for me.

Another quote by Juraj from September 27:
the whole IR conundrum is strange. For me, IR was unusable in beginning, in time which people remember oppositely, and it's very smooth right now, and my scenes (while lacking ForestPack, disclaimer) are often gigantic in terms of unique poly and even more instances.
Right now I have 2 billion poly scene with CoronaScatter, and it's very smooth, of course, not too helpful since it clears slowly due to having millions of SSS carpet strands in small interior, but still smooth.

OFC I don't want to start a Juraj-quotes-fight, but just showing that the whole IR issue is relative, and possibly scene and system dependent.

2019-10-11, 17:53:44
Reply #37

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, I remember that video.
In my opinion this video is more impressive in regards to IR:

I really don't understand what was the need to change it to subsampling.
I don't expect you to answer this since you can choose to do anything with your software.
It's just a shame that something that was so good was changed.

I love Corona and the work that you do is just amazing. So please don't get my criticism and negative, but constructive.

Thanks.

2019-10-14, 09:46:31
Reply #38

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I really don't understand what was the need to change it to subsampling.
I don't expect you to answer this since you can choose to do anything with your software.
It's just a shame that something that was so good was changed.

I love Corona and the work that you do is just amazing. So please don't get my criticism and negative, but constructive.

Thanks.

Of course, we were counting on feedback exactly like this. It will definitely help us make Corona better!

2019-10-14, 11:49:50
Reply #39

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
maru, i just want to let you know, that not everyone shares lupaz's opinion about IR subsampling. Here's two short videos, that shows how subsampling is extremely useful not only in complex scenes, but in very simple ones as well. Without subsampling, IR is almost completely useless. Please consider this, before making any changes to defaults.

2019-10-14, 15:18:17
Reply #40

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
maru, i just want to let you know, that not everyone shares lupaz's opinion about IR subsampling. Here's two short videos, that shows how subsampling is extremely useful not only in complex scenes, but in very simple ones as well. Without subsampling, IR is almost completely useless. Please consider this, before making any changes to defaults.

Could you try doing that with corona 1.5?
I think the point here isn’t really subsampling vs no subsampling, but subsampling vs blending

2019-10-14, 16:27:35
Reply #41

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You've been actively advocating against subsampling, so i wanted to show that at least for some, subsampling is very useful and important. I have no particular interest in "blending", but i might do quick test, if those scenes will open in such old version of Corona.

2019-10-14, 17:20:56
Reply #42

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just wanted to say, that lupaz isn't the only one disliking the "new" subsampling behaviour. I'm with him on that, and liked the "blending" a lot better :)

Regards

2019-10-14, 18:07:37
Reply #43

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
So it looks like having subsampling and blending as choices sounds like a reasonable solution. ;)

2019-10-14, 19:22:05
Reply #44

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So it looks like having subsampling and blending as choices sounds like a reasonable solution. ;)

That would be great. Thanks Maru.