Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520074 times)

2020-03-18, 23:39:41
Reply #990

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Not really a Threadripper, but the border between Threadrippers and Ryzens became kina fuzzy, right?
I have just built my first AMD system, and the first computer since... 15 years? So I'm really surprised that it's working fine and that the building process was pretty painless.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3900x
CPU fan: Noctua NH-D15
Mobo: ROG Crosshair VII Hero
Ram: Goodram IRDM Pro 3600 (those are some of the best looking RAM sticks I've ever seen)
GPU: GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
M2
HDD
Case: Meshify C (with a dark window, they didn't have the solid ones in stock)

Here are some issues and notes. I decided to share those so that other users can find them.

- Meshify C is a TINY case. I was really surprised when I opened the box it came in. I was expecting it to be slightly bigger.
- All components fit perfectly fine into the case. I was a little worried about Noctua, but no problem here (can't install the optional fan though, because the RAM sticks are too tall so it doesn't correctly attach to the tower).
- Even though everything fits, I would recommend a larger case for easier installation. I'm really glad I have tiny hands. Otherwise it would be much harder to plug cables in those corners.
- I had a small problem installing the Noctua. I could not screw the two main screws which is the last installation step. I had to fiddle with it for some time, and somehow managed to do it. But it was really stressful.

Hah, you had the full experience :- ) Which is... getting stressed about screwing down Noctua's mount, and running into all sorts of unexplainable bios issues.

The temps are fine, the 3900X runs the hottest of all, and all Zen2 chips have 40C Idle, that's just how they are.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-03-19, 11:18:29
Reply #991

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
[..]

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have similar setup in mind - although at this point i'm not sure if it would be better to wait for zen 3 instead - i'm sure this will come handy when i will be building my PC.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-03-20, 09:29:26
Reply #992

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
[...]
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3900x
[...]

Quick update:
I downloaded this amazing little app (freeware) - https://www.gimespace.com/products/powercontrol.html
This activates a "low" and "high" power plans based on CPU load. So when browsing, the system is super quiet and when rendering, the fans are launching into space. Attaching a screenshot of an example setup I am using.
Then, to squeeze extra performance, I can launch Ryzen Master and apply the creator plan with all settings enabled except for RAM control.
With the above, I am getting 1:11 in Corona Benchmark. 
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-03-20, 10:11:02
Reply #993

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I removed some random stuff and made new thread for general questions, so that half of this thread doesn't become about Cases :- ). Really only the fully unconnected posts (including my shit about ANC headphones :- ).

I've left the GPU stuff, just for now... although I wonder if I shouldn't separate that into another GPU only thread? I thought that would be too many threads perhaps.

This thread can stay for Threadripper and Ryzen (there is no functional difference for questions about either) connected questions.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-20, 10:36:41 by Juraj Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-03-20, 19:19:47
Reply #994

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Hello guys.

I have 3990x sitting on the table, had no time to properly check mobos yet but from quick research i did today it seems that almost every TRX40 mobo is enough in terms of VRM.

Thing is that i will use one gpu and few hard drivers so im not sure if i can justify paying 500e more compared to some "entry level" boards. Looks like the price is tied to I/O palette and spending hundreds more on something i will never use seems like a bad idea. Any advices about this ? Im on the fence with Taichi boards but they are sold out. First, i was torn between Zenith Alpha and Aorus extreme but i think its a waste to have such mobo if im not even going to OC or use PBO. Im planning to cool with with NHU14S. Aorus Master looks like a nice middle ground but i read that some people are not satisfied with them.

Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2020-03-20, 20:34:22
Reply #995

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Looks like the price is tied to I/O palette and spending hundreds more on something i will never use seems like a bad idea

Absolutely correct.

i think its a waste to have such mobo if im not even going to OC or use PBO

Outside of Alpha (as top contender for OC) and Taichi (as slightly weaker than rest), almost all of them have equal capacity for overclock. Some might do better in cases with stronger airflow (Gigabyte), some don't need almost any (MSI), but ultimately the difference seems very small like in the recent Hardware Unboxed video someone posted few pages back about Alpha.

There is bit of feature gating (ethernet..) and intentionally making the "entry" level boards look worse/game-rish but after you close the case you won't care at all.

Aorus Master looks like a nice middle ground but i read that some people are not satisfied with them

What exactly? Only one I seemed to come across was the bios issue related to AVX instruction set that was actually due to AMD and it was fixed last week. One guy made a thread where he almost alluded to this being hardware VRM fault, and it turned out to be trivial thing. I myself downloaded the latest F4d bios for my Aorus Xtreme, run the Prime95 from that scenario and everything works correct.

Outside of that.. I haven't seen almost any mentioning of Gigabyte TRX40 Boards (or MSI/Asrock for that matter). Asus brand is still so strong, that they out-sell others 10:1. But since this is my first Gigabyte board, and I have lot of Zeniths (for X399 and X299 alike), here is one my opinion. I really like the UEFI so much more than Asus's one (and found the MSI one terrible). It's easier to use, there are no artificial limits (like 85C temp for custom fan curve,etc..). And from X399 generation, I can say that both Asus and MSI stopped bios support very early. I feel like Gigabyte tries the hardest to get foothold by having really bios support.

That said... you might as well spin coin or get what you're able to actually buy for good price and availability. You can't go wrong with anything.

2020-03-20, 20:53:12
Reply #996

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply.

I think i will go with Aorus Master. Im satisfied with x399 Aorus Extreme. Only downside is annoying VRM fan noise. Had to turn it off in bios several times but otherwise, zero issues.

EDIT : just found this (mem issues) https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-trx40-aorus-master-review,26.html
« Last Edit: 2020-03-20, 21:48:34 by michaltimko »
Coronaut!(c)2011

2020-03-20, 22:40:53
Reply #997

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

EDIT : just found this (mem issues) https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-trx40-aorus-master-review,26.html

That's not good :- / Esp. since I presume it has identical power delivery as Aorus Xtreme (looks very much the same to me). I have seen at least two people on Reddit with Aorus Xtreme/3990X/256GB 3600 memory (one OC-ed to 3766).

I doubt this is due to power delivery though, because they say the issue wasn't on non-Alpha or MSI, which both have slightly worse power delivery than Gigabyte boards. Gigabyte has 3 power stages for memory alone..but based on Bulldzoid videos, those are not of great quality, but apparently that shouldn't matter.

I only have 3000 memory on hand right now (and 3600 pre-ordered), but the memory on 3990X runs hot...very hot. If the issue wasn't on 3970X, but is on 3990X, perhaps the memory controller puts higher strain on memory (or vice versa).
I wish they had contacted Gigabyte and offered some follow-up. This is not a good look and puts the Asus as preferable solution.

Just checked price of Alpha out of interest, holy price inflation, 1150+ Euros. The MSRP for it is the same as base Zenith, 900 Euro, but looks like the shortage started long before Coronavirus as they sold them alongside but now it's really over-priced..
Just three weeks ago you could have bought Aorus Xtreme for 650 Euro on Amazon.fr, crazy deal, it was there for two weeks straight.

2020-03-21, 10:53:58
Reply #998

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Yea i dont know if its good idea to risk it and buy that Aorus Master or wait a bit. Maybe they hit jackpot and got some weird incompatibility issues between memory and mobo/bios/whatever.

Alos, i was checking MSI Creator and i found it 100-150e cheaper outside of Alza. Rest of the boards seems to have similiar price everywhere.
Coronaut!(c)2011

2020-03-21, 11:52:54
Reply #999

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I would not risk it either. It's always possible, I had mixed set of identically coded memories from Corsair (Both 3000 CL15), but couldn't boot higher than 2933 with it on my 3990X. After I swapped the half from that set which was Hynix to one that was B-Die based on Taiphoon reader, I could boot up to 3200 with super aggressive timing. Board had no issue whatsover, I even think it could boot up to 3466/3600 if I set the voltage to something stupid like 1.5 (which B-Die sets scale to).

But Max crashed on high-res DR due to temps on memory rising up to 80C. The Guru3D review says they used two kits (G.Skill and Corsair) and don't write which particular, and which ones was used. So the incompatibility could have always happen..

But it's better to be safe. No one likes issues with 4K chip..

This is squarely on board manufacturers. They know well people will use 128-256GB memory and want the fastest of course. They test zero of such in QVL.

(Btw, with 3990X you now get almost the same performance with base 2133 memory, so there is no need to stress the speed of memory. It's hillarious to see how everyone believes the Zen2 chips must max-out infinity fabric, when the only place it makes difference is obscure low-res high-fps games and even then just some. I see some people going with slower JEDEC standard unbuffered ECC, which run at 2666-2933 at CL22 but only 1.2V, and get super stable, super safe memory).
« Last Edit: 2020-03-21, 11:57:14 by Juraj Talcik »

2020-03-21, 12:57:01
Reply #1000

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Interesting info, thanks.

I`ll be using B-die kit from Gskill (3000/14) and i dont have any plans to push it further. Im even fine running it at 2133 if it doesnt affect Corona as it does on x399. Difference between 2133 and 2933 was huge, floating between 41s (2933) and up to 1min+ on 2133.

Anyway, just ordered MSI Creator, should be here on tuesday so i can finally put it all together. Its been 10 years since i had anything except Gigabyte mobos. I wanted Zenith but i like how Creator looks and they are basically same except few i/o differences.
Coronaut!(c)2011

2020-03-21, 13:21:38
Reply #1001

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
For me the benchmark is 17 seconds with 2133, and also 17 seconds with 2933/CL16/3000/CL15 and even when I overclocked to 3200/CL14. I am pretty sure it manifests elsewhere, and hard to say how it affects single-core performance but those are hard to even measure, PC felt the same.

The turbo clocks slightly change as the memory controller die is on chip, so the more power the chip takes, the less goes to 8-dies, to counter-act it, it's possible to do 'pseudo-pbo' by just rising the 280W to 300W to account for the additional power going into faster set memory.

Anyway, anyone buy the boards till you can :- ). Or don't... maybe you won't need it in recession at all : /
« Last Edit: 2020-03-21, 13:26:06 by Juraj Talcik »

2020-03-21, 22:11:56
Reply #1002

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2020-03-22, 17:17:43
Reply #1003

frame9

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hello everyone

i'm about to order these parts to build my first workstation
it would be really nice if you could give me a thumbs up if the selection is alright.

CPU: 3970x
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Black
Mainboard: ASUS Prime TRX40-Pro
Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 5700 XT NITRO+
Cooler: NH-U14S TR4-SP3  140mm TDP 180W + NF A15 (dual fan)
RAM 3200 C 16: Corsair DIMM 64 GB DDR4-3200 Quad-Kit CMK64GX4M4B3200C16
SSD 01 C: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB
SSD 02 D: Samsung 860 QVO 2 TB
Power: be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 11 Platinum 1000W

Thank you for your time
I hope you are all save and healthy

Tobias

2020-03-22, 17:46:39
Reply #1004

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
All good even as is. My personal notes:

- I would go with nVidia graphic for the single reason so that you can use Optix Denoiser during Interactive rendering in Corona. No issue with 5700 cards (apart from the driver shanenigans) but unfortunatately too many features depend on CUDA acceleration which is exclusively on nVidia for now.
- CMK64GX4M4B3200C16 With this kit (from B to C revision) it's unclear if you'll get B-die chips or Hynix, one works worse on Threadripper, and while you won't have issue with 64GB total memory, you might in future if you buy another kit and want to run them at 3200/CL16. Based on Amazon reviews, this particular kit is 90perc. Hynix, and people can't run it at 3200 on X570. X570/TRX40 have similar memory compatibility. I have personal experience where revision with Hynix wouldn't run at 3000 on my 3990X, but the b-die did up to 3200 without issue.

Which brings us to eternal memory question: How to even know which memory is made of highly-binned dies and which one not? There is limited online list with Samsung b-die kits, and perhaps even Micron Rev-e. Buying from brands that primarily source them (Crucial brand belongs to Micron, so their mid-to-high end modules are Rev-e automatically, while G-Skill built their reputation from sourcing b-die from Samsung mainly. Brands like Corsair buy absolutely everything, so you can never quite know and have better chance with their higher tiers but otherwise it's lottery).
I don't suggest wasting money on expensive memory, but usually the price difference isn't drastic enough right now to not search a little bit.