Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520419 times)

2020-02-08, 01:55:44
Reply #870

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Juraj,

Now that the reviews are in, can you tell us if the 3990x is worst in any way compared to the 3970x?

I have a 2990x and I'm painfully aware of the sacrifices in "everyday" use. I know the 3970x pretty much runs as a spectacular low-core processor as well as a beast of a multi-core one.

I'm trying to make sense of the reviews, and to my untrained eye, it seems like the 3990x pretty much is as good (or even slightly better sometimes) as the 3970x in terms of everyday use, while also being close to 1.8x faster in multithreading Corona rendering, which is pretty much the only multi-thred application I care about.

I'm not asking you if it's worth the price tag, because that depends on many factors, I've decided its worth it for me for corona alone, I just want to know if it comes with sacrifices like the 2990wx or not like 3970x.

I've learned a lot from this thread :) thanks!

2020-02-08, 19:07:15
Reply #871

pirillino

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Switching back to the cooler for the 3000 series....
I see that also with the Air Noctua the temp will reach easily 80°C, and I found many post on Reddit or AMD blog that reports the same situation, a lot of users that have this foolish temp.
My opinion: the CPU can support this temp without risk (I see that the limit is 95°C, with throttling at 85°C) or there isn't yet a reliable and well built cooler for the TR4.
This could be strange because I suspect that also in the past with the 2000 Threadripper series there was this temp problem, so I cannot realize why nobody (manufactirers) find a good solution.
Maybe the Treadripper is a "niche" market?
If I should have 80°C with Noctua I can still stay with the Enermax Liqtech II 360, until it works..

2020-02-09, 12:45:47
Reply #872

JoeS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Shade Digital
Hi All

Thought I might join in since I am upgrading from a 1950x. So after researching for sometime on parts here is a list of what I am thinking.

3970x maybe the 3990x I would like to see some more reviews before I go for the big boy.

ASUS Prime TRX40 Pro Motherboard. I don't think I need the high end features of the more expensive boards.

Ram seems to be an issue I am going for 128gig I can get two CMT64GX4M4C3200C16 dominator kits but I really don't want the rgb and large heat shields. I found some F4-3200C16Q-128GVK gskill kits that I can buy. both kits are on the QVL list.
Does anyone have any experience with either of these kits ?

Phanteks Revolt Pro Full Modular Gold 1000W Power Supply.

Lian Li Lancool Two Tempered Glass Case White.

2x ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD 2TB.

I am just going to use my two 1080ti's I am not buying new GPU's.

Etc

Any thoughts are welcomed I want this system to last for at least two to three years.

Also for cooling the ice giant could be an upgrade later this year.
https://www.icegiantcooling.com/prosiphonelite

« Last Edit: 2020-02-09, 12:51:17 by JoeS »

2020-02-09, 13:47:56
Reply #873

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yo guys, had a free time yesterday and did the small video, i have a new Sony a7 III camera, this is my first video ever. learning a camera settings :)

2020-02-09, 14:26:22
Reply #874

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Ram seems to be an issue I am going for 128gig I can get two CMT64GX4M4C3200C16 dominator kits but I really don't want the rgb and large heat shields. I found some F4-3200C16Q-128GVK gskill kits that I can buy. both kits are on the QVL list.
Does anyone have any experience with either of these kits ?

I generally ignore QVL lists for RAM. Memory IC's are made by a handful of big companies (Samsung, Micron, Hynix e.t.c).

I purchased: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gskill-F4-3600-%C2%B0C17Q2-128GTZR-DDR4-128-GB-Memory-Grey/dp/B073VPCHSQ due to the great timings and binning by Gskill. According to Typhoon burner my ram is Hynix DJR, 1 step off the commonly accepted best Samsung b-die, however DJR can run with more stability at higher temperatures than B-die.

I can run all 128gb at 3600mhz @ 16, 16, 19, 20, 32 (@ 1:1 infinity fabric ratio) completely stable after using Ryzen DRAM calculator by 1usmus.

I'd also get a more beefy power supply if you're getting the 3990x - according to the reviews some people were sucking down 950w+ when overclocking. I went for the Ax1600i due to the excellent reviews and silent operation.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte TRX40 Designare (comes with a free thunderbolt and NVME expander card), same VRM design as the Aorus extreme but a couple of hundred bucks less.

I made a 3D mockup of my watercooling loop (measured the case and mounting holes with calipers meticulously, and all fittings and radiators are to scale). Last bits to come in are the reservior and CPU block from Optimus, currently just running a Dark Rock Pro TR4 air cooler until I assemble the loop.
« Last Edit: 2020-02-09, 14:34:19 by agentdark45 »
Vray who?

2020-02-09, 15:12:10
Reply #875

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Last bits to come in are the reservior and CPU block from Optimus

Some solid delay right, huh ;- )? Also waiting for it, I kind of don't want to waste time using my existing EKWB that I will dissasemble.
Last ETA give to me was "Two weeks to shipping" on Feb 3rd. Oh well...busy month anyway.

Anyway, nice parts ! We're gonna have very similar builds :- ). Also went for i1600 but there is no other PSU like that (the SuperFlower is non-digital platform, BeQuiet will release in March+,...)

RE: IceGiant ProSiphon
Seems to do good job in KitGuru's review but the mounting has me confused..the preorder page states compatibility with everything but not different option for baseplate. So did they just choose some size that works for both AM4 and TR4? And Intel 1151/2066 ? Anyway, pre-ordered, will be fun.

so I cannot realize why nobody (manufactirers) find a good solution.
Maybe the Treadripper is a "niche" market?

You answered your question perfectly correctly. That's it :- ). Despite the halo-ness of this platform, it ships very few units. Manufacturers don't care, or they take ridiculously long (Noctua takes 3 years to adjust one heatsink?..ok)

to my untrained eye, it seems like the 3990x pretty much is as good (or even slightly better sometimes) as the 3970x in terms of everyday use, while also being close to 1.8x faster in multithreading Corona rendering, which is pretty much the only multi-thred application I care about.

I pretty much agree with all you wrote, I have the same sentiment and understanding from current information. Summarized by me:

- Where it matters the most (for us Corona, esp. Corona Interactive), it kicks major ass.
- Where it matter less, it either does just as good job as 3970X or just slightly worse.
- When it does worse,...like Photoshop, the DELTA between BEST (ultra-overclocked Intel 9900K) and worst (3990X and such) is less than 8perc. That is absolutely meaningless. That's not a minus at all.

Regarding criticism from our smart youtubers:
- 4 vs 8 channels. This would be nice, but just like all benchmarks for CGI show, the bandwidth is never limitation. And esp. when it's mostly on writting speeds.
- Support only for non-registered memory. Also..would be nice, but 256GB can't be sneezed at. I just don't buy the calculations that particularly video editors will cross it instantly. This nonsense came with Mac Pro reviews when suddenly every youtuber needed 768GB for their compressed 8K RED footage for youtube...seriously? And I will let you guess which is better for latency-dependent ray-tracing, JEDEC Standard REG ECC 3200 CL22 or base UDIMM currently at 32GB 3600 CL16. I am ok with this limitation at the moment.

I guess we will never know if TRX/WRX80 was scrapped due to cannibalization..or it never even existed on drawing boards. Mystery :- )

I've decided its worth it for me for corona alone,

So did I. Ordered my 3990X in middle of nowhere driving to my weekend skiing retreat :- ). 2 pieces, right after I ordered, stock sold out locally.

So just the OptimusPC block needs to come.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-02-10, 16:06:34
Reply #876

PsychoBoyJack

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I generally ignore QVL lists for RAM. Memory IC's are made by a handful of big companies (Samsung, Micron, Hynix e.t.c).

I purchased: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gskill-F4-3600-%C2%B0C17Q2-128GTZR-DDR4-128-GB-Memory-Grey/dp/B073VPCHSQ due to the great timings and binning by Gskill. According to Typhoon burner my ram is Hynix DJR, 1 step off the commonly accepted best Samsung b-die, however DJR can run with more stability at higher temperatures than B-die.

I can run all 128gb at 3600mhz @ 16, 16, 19, 20, 32 (@ 1:1 infinity fabric ratio) completely stable after using Ryzen DRAM calculator by 1usmus.

Can you ELI5 the bold part ?

Does it mean you bought this kit and you plan to somehow manually change the timings or the voltage for your RAM or do you plan to use it 'as is" ?
I ask you this question cause RAM choice is for me the hardest part, and i'm starting to look around for my next 3990 build (plan to get aorus xtreme)

Thanks !:!

2020-02-11, 09:31:20
Reply #877

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Well have my chip. This is going to be all-out build. Next week should hopefully start shipping brand new Micron e-die 3600&CL16 32GB DIMMs, ordered 256GB. G.Skill plans to release same kit in Q2. I have some worries if that will run on Aorus, as latter was validated only on Zenith II Alpha which had boosted VRM mainly for the memory from what I read.

I even secured Optane drive (960GB 905P!! obscene thing), based on Spec benchmark with high-core CPUs, let's see if it can make some difference. So now just the block...and I can start building the loop. I expect this to be finished if all arrives on time next Friday.

« Last Edit: 2020-02-11, 09:43:53 by Juraj Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-02-11, 22:29:06
Reply #878

JoeS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Shade Digital
Hi All

Thanks for the reply's to my earlier post (agentdark45).

So I have decided to go with the 3990x but I need a suitable cooling solution would the nh-u14s tr4-sp3/Cooler Master Wraith Ripper ARGB TR4 be enough at stock speed to keep this thing cool ? looking at the AIO's available nothing else has a large contact plate and the enermax stuff is disaster AIO.

Any opinions on this would be really appreciated.

2020-02-13, 13:35:03
Reply #879

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Some solid delay right, huh ;- )? Also waiting for it, I kind of don't want to waste time using my existing EKWB that I will dissasemble.
Last ETA give to me was "Two weeks to shipping" on Feb 3rd. Oh well...busy month anyway.

Anyway, nice parts ! We're gonna have very similar builds :- ). Also went for i1600 but there is no other PSU like that (the SuperFlower is non-digital platform, BeQuiet will release in March+,...)

Man, that delay is killing me!

Re the RAM, where did you get the Micron e-die 3600&CL16 32GB DIMMs from? Some seriously impressive specs! Running 256gb at that speed and timings would make me nervous though, let's hope the motherboard holds up.
Vray who?

2020-02-13, 17:07:38
Reply #880

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@JoeS

I think you will be fine with a U14S. Look at the test around seems that the chip is around 10 degrees Celsius cooler than the 3970x. The Optimum Tech guy was cooling this with a Kraken X62 which doesn't cover the whole cpu. I wouldn't bother with an AIO just go with the U14S or if you want to spend 6times more money on a loop as I did go for that. Honestly, I went with a loop and I kinda regret the amount of money I spent on it but the temps are great and it is dead silent. Your cpu is way cooler so I would just go with a U14S. Will post pictures, temps and power consumption soon, I am in the middle of a deadline right now :(. The 3970x is a beast kinda regretting I didn't wait for the 3990x but eh never mind will just get that one as well at some point :D.

2020-02-13, 23:34:08
Reply #881

mienda

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,
I plan to build a 3990x threadripper based workstation with the following list of components:

Case: fractal design XL R2

Power supply  :Be quiet ! Straight power 11 platinium 1200w

Graphic card: Asus rog strix rtx 2080 ti 11g

Motherboard : gigabyte aorus xtreme

Disk system : corsair force mp600 series nvme pci m2 ssd1tb

Hard drive : seagate iron wolf 12to

Memory : corsair ddr4 256gb(8x32) cmk256gx4m8e 3200 cl16

Cooler: Noctua nh-u14str4-sp3

Case Coolers:
Noctua nf-a15pwn
Noctua nf-a14pwn

And if course threadripper 3990x!
What do you think of this configuration?
Will it be sufficiently ventilated?
Is memory good?

If you have any comments on this, I would be very grateful!

Thank you in advance

Damien

2020-02-14, 00:30:55
Reply #882

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think you will be fine with a U14S. Look at the test around seems that the chip is around 10 degrees Celsius cooler than the 3970x.

That's crazy that it runs that much cooler than the 3970x.  Is there any sense of why this is?  Lower peak core speed?  Starting to wonder if I should sell my 3970X on ebay...

2020-02-14, 10:49:26
Reply #883

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I can't guarantee anything myself before I try it but if you don't plan to OC seems you are fine. Take a look at the image below.

https://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Technical-Temps.jpg

2020-02-15, 00:52:54
Reply #884

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I think you will be fine with a U14S. Look at the test around seems that the chip is around 10 degrees Celsius cooler than the 3970x.

That's crazy that it runs that much cooler than the 3970x.  Is there any sense of why this is?  Lower peak core speed?  Starting to wonder if I should sell my 3970X on ebay...

The thermal limit is spread over 8 dies instead of 4 so each runs cooler, and they cover larger space under heatspreader on the socket, so there is bigger contact with cold-plate of cooler (more heatpipes with Air tower like Noctua, more fins engaged with less hotspot on water cooling).

With that said...I would look at more tests. And also..look at PBO +200. For 3970X it created a difference of 10C, for 3990X it created a difference of 35C, that's oddly improportional.