Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 528975 times)

2020-03-11, 16:02:40
Reply #975

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We just bought a couple of overclocked 3990x machines. They're at 3.7 all-core. Absolute insane render beasts. We're doing some heavy animation work right now with frames taking 1hr 22mins on our fastest (very fast) dual xeon machines and similar on overclocked i9 machines, and these 3990x machines are rendering the same frames at just 27mins! Cool, stable, insane speed. Very happy so far. Will need more extensive testing of course.

If you dont mind me asking, Did you build them or did you pay a system builder? If its the latter who was it? Wouldnt mind knowing which builders do stable overclocking.

2020-03-11, 16:10:30
Reply #976

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
We just bought a couple of overclocked 3990x machines. They're at 3.7 all-core. Absolute insane render beasts. We're doing some heavy animation work right now with frames taking 1hr 22mins on our fastest (very fast) dual xeon machines and similar on overclocked i9 machines, and these 3990x machines are rendering the same frames at just 27mins! Cool, stable, insane speed. Very happy so far. Will need more extensive testing of course.

If you dont mind me asking, Did you build them or did you pay a system builder? If its the latter who was it? Wouldnt mind knowing which builders do stable overclocking.

Overclockers UK - been our suppliers for years now. As long as you instruct them not to go uber-all-out on the overclock then there shouldn't be an issue with stability. We've been really pleased so far.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2020-03-11, 16:31:56
Reply #977

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Overclockers UK - been our suppliers for years now. As long as you instruct them not to go uber-all-out on the overclock then there shouldn't be an issue with stability. We've been really pleased so far.

Great, good to know thanks! Ive often found Scan to be cheaper on overall build but ive not spoken to anyone about their overclocking yet.

2020-03-11, 16:35:38
Reply #978

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES

Great, good to know thanks! Ive often found Scan to be cheaper on overall build but ive not spoken to anyone about their overclocking yet.

We had too many support issues with Scan to continue using them. OCUK's support is amazing by contrast. They pop into the office to physically check over the builds and catch up on our general needs. Run by some great people.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2020-03-11, 16:38:25
Reply #979

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We had too many support issues with Scan to continue using them. OCUK's support is amazing by contrast. They pop into the office to physically check over the builds and catch up on our general needs. Run by some great people.

Sounds ideal! Thanks for letting me know.

2020-03-11, 17:06:21
Reply #980

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Very strange imho to keep static overclock of 3990X. Allcore turbo us 3.45 for Corona on my stock with Noctua and 4.35 single.

3.7 gains you only 7perc improvement allcore but 20perc singlecore loss.

Plus eventual degradation due to static voltage for 7nm node. Stock or PBO keep higher voltage only under low current.

Static was good strategy for monolithic 14nm i9, but is fully obsolete fir Zen2 and onward.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-03-11, 20:41:57
Reply #981

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Honestly I wouldn't bother with 7% improvement. I guess your power consumption is now doubled plus you loose single core turbo that is highly beneficial for all other tasks that are not rendering.

2020-03-12, 14:52:37
Reply #982

JoeS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Shade Digital
Just a heads up, I have been running my 3990x build for a few weeks now and this cpu has not missed a beat. The Noctua nh-u14s-tr4-sp3 has been able to keep this thing cool no problems even for extended rendering periods. I had to render a 10k image for a billboard which took around 24hours on rebus single machine the 3990x cut that down to 6.5 hours. The cpu ran at 3.65ghz for the six hours no probs and would throttle from time to to keep the temp below 67 degrees.

Very happy.

2020-03-14, 20:15:57
Reply #983

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Taiphoon burner shown me half of my memory was B-Die, half cheapest Hynix die on offer. Funny because when I bought them, they had identical codes and everything.
Bought another b-die kit to swap into the hynix half and voila, not only does XMP boots, it super easily overclocks (from 3000 CL15 into 3200 CL14, ey yay).

But my point was that 3rd Gen Threadrippers have indeed no issue with any memory speed, and I have even seen one guy overclock his Corsair kit into 3766/CL16 @ 256GB on 3990X, just wow ! So there is that, Zen came long way since 2990WX..
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-03-16, 00:59:31
Reply #984

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Little update from my end. Some of my ordered parts are already here but unfortunately I'm still waiting for cpu, memory and  few other "essentials", it's pretty bad time for things like shopping. In meantime I'm bidding few GPU's. Non blower type cards will do fine with 3970 + noctua + meshify s2 or I should definitely stick to blowers? (all of them 1080 ti's)

TH

2020-03-16, 04:12:31
Reply #985

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I bet you’d be glad to have blowers.  My 3970 on noctua runs hot in a much larger case and I have a blower 2080 Ti.  Might be able to make it work if you have to, hard to say.  If you’re not doing heavy gpu work maybe it won’t matter that much.

2020-03-16, 11:39:19
Reply #986

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Blowers are preferable for workstation (probably the only place outside servers :- ), but because there is very little chance you will use both CPU+GPU heavily at same time (In Corona, Optix + Viewport barely stress the GPU, and pure GPU applications, barely stress the CPU), so you will be mostly fine, esp. with air-flow case like Meshify.

2020-03-18, 12:10:01
Reply #987

hugomst

• Users
    • View Profile
Taiphoon burner shown me half of my memory was B-Die, half cheapest Hynix die on offer. Funny because when I bought them, they had identical codes and everything.
Bought another b-die kit to swap into the hynix half and voila, not only does XMP boots, it super easily overclocks (from 3000 CL15 into 3200 CL14, ey yay).

But my point was that 3rd Gen Threadrippers have indeed no issue with any memory speed, and I have even seen one guy overclock his Corsair kit into 3766/CL16 @ 256GB on 3990X, just wow ! So there is that, Zen came long way since 2990WX..

Long time lurker, first time poster. Jumped on the bandwagon with a 3970X.

What memory are you running atm and for how much did you get the Samsung B-Die? I have 4 x 16Gb Micron E-Die but plan on upgrading to 128Gb (4 x 32Gb, less stress to memory controller) whenever the opportunity arises.

2020-03-18, 17:08:27
Reply #988

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Not really a Threadripper, but the border between Threadrippers and Ryzens became kina fuzzy, right?
I have just built my first AMD system, and the first computer since... 15 years? So I'm really surprised that it's working fine and that the building process was pretty painless.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3900x
CPU fan: Noctua NH-D15
Mobo: ROG Crosshair VII Hero
Ram: Goodram IRDM Pro 3600 (those are some of the best looking RAM sticks I've ever seen)
GPU: GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
M2
HDD
Case: Meshify C (with a dark window, they didn't have the solid ones in stock)

Here are some issues and notes. I decided to share those so that other users can find them.

- Meshify C is a TINY case. I was really surprised when I opened the box it came in. I was expecting it to be slightly bigger.
- All components fit perfectly fine into the case. I was a little worried about Noctua, but no problem here (can't install the optional fan though, because the RAM sticks are too tall so it doesn't correctly attach to the tower).
- Even though everything fits, I would recommend a larger case for easier installation. I'm really glad I have tiny hands. Otherwise it would be much harder to plug cables in those corners.
- I had a small problem installing the Noctua. I could not screw the two main screws which is the last installation step. I had to fiddle with it for some time, and somehow managed to do it. But it was really stressful.
- The PC didn't want to boot at first. It turned out to be a BIOS bug where it doesn't start if there is an M2 drive installed. I had to update BIOS, which was super easy. (download file, run the provided app, copy file to USB stick, plug it into a special BIOS port, press button, wait).
- I wasn't able to install Windows on the M2 drive by default. I had to follow this guide to launch the command line in Windows installer and "convert" the disk - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/unable-to-install-windows-10-on-m-2-ssd.3193893/
- By default, RAM would not operate at the advertised 3600MHz frequency. This had to be changed in BIOS (basically just enable DOCP, which as far as I understand is similar to XMP).
- For some reason, BIOS changes (like enabling DOCP) did not work at first. BIOS would forget them as soon as PC was restarted. I had to update BIOS again, and this fixed the issue. (no idea why exactly this happened and why updating again helped)
- I am still confused by the temperatures reported by system. In Windows/CoreTemp/BIOS it's about 50-60C at idle, which sounds like a lot to me. In Ryzen Master it's 40-50C. No idea if there is some overheating issue or not, but it seems 100% stable under stress. For comparison, the other PC I am currently using (i7 6700) is reporting ~26C right now. :O
- AI Suite software is throwing some errors all the time, but this seems to be a common issue, so I am sure I will sort it out.

Currently getting 1:13 render time in the Corona Benchmark without any additional overclocking (just RAM at 3600MHz). Will try to squeeze a bit more. :)

I am yet to install other software and will share further observations later. I heard some good stuff about 3ds Max UI performance on this CPU.

« Last Edit: 2020-03-18, 17:20:54 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-03-18, 23:33:22
Reply #989

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Long time lurker, first time poster. Jumped on the bandwagon with a 3970X.

What memory are you running atm and for how much did you get the Samsung B-Die? I have 4 x 16Gb Micron E-Die but plan on upgrading to 128Gb (4 x 32Gb, less stress to memory controller) whenever the opportunity arises.

It's Corsair RGB Pro 3000 CL15, imho that is not considered a high-quality memory but still much better than the same non-Pro which was Hynix.
Anyway..the memory runs up to 75C under heatsink, and 60C the best cooled one. And caused me crash of 3dsMax twice :- (. So no additional overclock, back to XMP profile.

I have high hopes for the 32GB Micron Rev-E 3600 CL16 modules from Crucial, I still hope they will come soon. Linus in his "nocompromise" video recent, already had those modules imho from G.Skill (256GB 3600 16) but you can't even google out the code which was on them, I tried  :- ).
I think I'll put a small 40mm fan on top of each 4 dimms after I'll water-cool the build. The memory runs really hot..

I still find it incredible that all 64 cores are running at 3500 (up to 3550) all-core turbo on stock, with Noctua, in my renders. And with 68C temps, but then again, my room ambient is 25. The V-Core is 1.080 (VID 1.025), that's crazy. The Auto/Stock is simply great.
With single-core up to 4450, I see absolutely no reason to overclock with static, I don't even see a reason to do PBO in fact.

On other note, here are two shots of OptimusPC waterblock. Not sure if anyone else except me and Agent are waiting for it, but hopefully it will come by summer...or summer end :- D

« Last Edit: 2020-03-19, 00:21:46 by Juraj Talcik »