Author Topic: Infinite floor/background look? (HDRI Studio Rig look)  (Read 8593 times)

2017-02-16, 02:00:10

notalk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been using Corona for C4D for about 2 weeks now and I'm loving it! so fast and love how it's integrated into C4D.

However, I've become very dependent on a GSG plug-in called HDRI Studio Rig.. I'm hoping most of you are familiar with it. it allows you to light a scene in seconds, providing an adjustable, seamless floor/background, and a bunch of HDRi controls. I've got down the HDRI lighting in Corona but i cannot seem to get that infinite background look. You can clearly see where my floor starts and where my background begins. I need it to be a seamless flow between the two. I actually can't even figure out how to use the C4D background object with corona.. not even sure that you can. I've been applying a material to a sky object and using a plane as the floor.

Any ideas on how to create that seamless, infinite floor to background, in Corona?

I've attached an old render of mine using the physical renderer, it's a perfect example of what i'm looking for.

« Last Edit: 2017-02-16, 02:06:10 by notalk »

2017-02-16, 10:45:30
Reply #1

ed.lefler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
L-shape backdrop with material assigned with frontal projection

2017-02-16, 14:37:52
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
If I am understanding correctly, the best solution would be when the Shadowcatcher gets implemented (see roadmap at https://trello.com/c/1UhzNIE6/28-shadowcatcher) - this would allow you to place a plane under your objects and just catch the shadows while letting the background show through.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2017-02-16, 14:57:46
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Oh yes, shadowcatcher is extremely useful in this scenario. It makes to setup infinite floor like a breeze. Like in this case: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,11345.msg72942.html#msg72942

I can't believe C4D still hasn't shadowcatcher - couldn't live without it :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-02-16, 21:26:30
Reply #4

SharpEars

• Active Users
    • View Profile
vRay actually offers an infinite plane object (e.g., at Z=1.0 create an infinite plane) to solve this problem. I am wondering if Corona could offer the same.

2017-02-16, 21:30:46
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Unless i'm missing something, but i can't see how infinite plane can help  to make floor / background line to appear seamless...
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-03-15, 17:05:27
Reply #6

somenerv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if this was ever solved, but I found somewhat of a workaround. 

Following a similar concept to how HDRI Studio's infinite floor works, the key is to have the floor be a large disc shape with a circular gradient on its Corona Material's opacity channel. 

Two skies:
one working as lighting
one working as background

Make sure to use the Corona Compositing tag to hide the lighting sky from camera on render.  Prevent the background sky from lighting, etc. 

It's not 100% perfect.  The shadow catcher would definitely be a better way of approaching this.  But... it works. 

2017-03-15, 18:52:25
Reply #7

rojharris

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That, sir, is a brilliant idea!

Thanks. I've been looking for something just like this until we get a shadow catcher.