Author Topic: Multi-layer mtl w/blending modes  (Read 13967 times)

2012-05-28, 12:08:08

loocas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
1) Targeted lights

2) ESC key to cancel current rendering
_Keymaster: done

3) Copy and Paste functionality for the material map slots

4) Corona to recognize the object properties, such as Visible To Camera, Visible To Reflections etc...

5) Multi-Layer shader with tons of blending modes (add, screen, multiply...) and map masks support.

6) Camera Multipass Effect - global override toggle. Mainly to switch it off globally when left on, accidentally.

more to come...
« Last Edit: 2012-09-16, 00:01:08 by Keymaster »

2012-05-28, 13:02:20
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Ad 1: you mean rectangle light with "target" dummy, right?

ad 2: easy (i hope; one never knows when 3dsmax is involved :D), will do shortly
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-05-28, 14:43:19
Reply #2

loocas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ad 1: you mean rectangle light with "target" dummy, right?

Yes

2012-05-28, 18:13:46
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, that should be easily doable, if I can defeat 3dsmax API... so maybe in some time ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-05-28, 18:48:46
Reply #4

loocas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
By the way, I'm adding more wishes to the very first post as I come across something that I'm missing in Corona currently. :)

2012-05-28, 18:51:11
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
3 is doable, but you have to work with texmaps rollout. Only those square buttons don't work (but i hope they eventually will).

In case of multilayer shader...  i am quite worried about performance impact...

2012-05-28, 20:26:37
Reply #6

loocas

• Active Users
    • View Profile

In that case, stop developing a renderer. ;) This shader is priceless, especially since you don't support speculars or more complex pre-built shaders, like car-paint etc...

2012-05-28, 20:35:35
Reply #7

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

In that case, stop developing a renderer. ;) This shader is priceless, especially since you don't support speculars or more complex pre-built shaders, like car-paint etc...

I thought about some built-in functionality similar to Modo's clearcoat, which would allow to create car-paint like effects, so then you would put flake bitmap into the reflectivity glossiness, and clearcoat reflectivity layer over that...  That would be a basic feature... (Can be seen here at bottom: http://www.luxology.com/modo/401.light.and.shadow/)

More advanced layering will be eventually possible, but it's gonna probably be at noticeable performance price.

2012-05-28, 21:52:14
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, so...
1: Doable, but not priority
2: just implemented
3: will implement today/tomorrow (hope)
4: Directly visible just implemented, rest will be done later
5: Doable, will do sometimes in summer. About the performance: material stuff takes about 20% of CPU time. So expect 20% slower rendering when putting 50-50 blend of materials on everyting in the scene. The slowdown will be of course lower if not all materials are layered.
6: wtf is that? ;) What does it do?

2012-05-28, 21:58:50
Reply #9

loocas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, so...
1: Doable, but not priority
2: just implemented
3: will implement today/tomorrow (hope)
4: Directly visible just implemented, rest will be done later
5: Doable, will do sometimes in summer. About the performance: material stuff takes about 20% of CPU time. So expect 20% slower rendering when putting 50-50 blend of materials on everyting in the scene. The slowdown will be of course lower if not all materials are layered.

Nice! :)

6: wtf is that? ;) What does it do?

Multipass effects are a pretty old-school way of previewing motion blur and DOF in the viewports. It just moves the camera around its focal point, or plays the scene in sub-steps and blends the renders together. It's just to give you an idea about motion blur or DOF. Good for previews, extremely bad for final renders as it renders the scene in passes and then blends the passes together in the VFB, which is extremely annoying and fucked up when final-rendering.

2012-05-28, 22:28:03
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
wtf, something like that is actually supported by Corona? O_o

anyways, material drag&drop is finished

2012-05-29, 15:16:35
Reply #11

loocas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
wtf, something like that is actually supported by Corona? O_o

It's a Max thing. It sends the scene rendering for as many times as there are samples in the DOF/MBlur multipass effect. Then the VFB composes
the layers on top of each other. It's really pretty stupid and takes too much time to render and looks like shit. :)

anyways, material drag&drop is finished

Nice!

2012-08-28, 12:33:48
Reply #12

loocas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Another wish:

Bokeh to accept colored images as custom shapes for achieving more complex lens effects.

2012-09-14, 10:22:35
Reply #13

Tom Zamorin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • my gallery
5) Multi-Layer shader with tons of blending modes (add, screen, multiply...) and map masks support.
yes, it is very important!

In that case, stop developing a renderer. ;) This shader is priceless
+++

In FinalRender it is very well realised
http://www.cebasstation.com/index.php?pid=product&prd_id=75&feature=816

2012-09-15, 08:22:30
Reply #14

alieneye

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • portfolio
No need to implement layered shader. Don`t try to render FINAL PRODUCTION IMAGE directly from 3d application.
You can always render separate pass for everything that you need.
Blend shader (two shaders or more, like V-Ray blend) is more than enough.
Maybe i can ask Keymaster to add  "ADD" ("shellac") blend mode.
it`s very useful.

for example: to combine 2 reflection layers (sharp and blurry, like car paint) in one shader you`ll  need to have ADD blend mode.

http://www.cebasstation.com/products/images/fr_stage1/r2/fR_LayerImage01.jpg
this is just blend shader with a mask.