Author Topic: Create A Realistic Wool Rug Using Hair & Fur - 3DSMax & Corona Renderer Tutorial  (Read 8614 times)

2020-09-25, 15:23:43

Pikcells

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Pikcells
Earlier in the year we shared our Swoon CGI roomset and got a lot of feedback asking for a tutorial video to show the process we used to create the wool rug using hair and fur techniques.
It's taken a little time due to our recent workload (customers obviously come first), but here's a video tutorial showing the 3D process in as quick a time as possible.

Page with all the video notes and reference images - https://www.pikcells.com/lab/photorealistic-rug-hair-and-fur-tutorial

2020-09-25, 19:24:22
Reply #1

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
Great stuff! Look forward to following the tutorial through when I have an hour to spare (and probably downloading the model alongside so I have your nice version to use somewhere...).

In the tutorial you use maps to displace the rug geometry, and mention that these are available online - can you share where these are from?

2020-09-27, 05:53:16
Reply #2

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I wasn't following this thread before, but can you elaborate on the Swoon CGI roomset, what is this? Is it available online?

2020-09-28, 10:06:00
Reply #3

Pikcells

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Pikcells
Our Swoon CGI roomset is here (most of the images are included above) https://www.pikcells.com/portfolio/swoon-furniture-cgi

The displacement maps were originally something that we downloaded for free, but I've since discovered the artist has now made them chargeable https://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/902802?referral=LifelikeForms

2021-04-28, 21:59:58
Reply #4

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
This is probably the most realistic rug I've seen in 3d - I'm happy to see other examples, but to this point I have not. I purchased the project files and studied the implementation quite a bit, and frankly I'm having a hard time replicating the implementation in Ornatrix - not to say it isn't possible or easy.

My main observation is that the 'hair' (threads) are actually little squares, not thin strands as you normally see with a hair / fur system. The shader for the hair / fur is actually just a basic white hair from the Corona Material Library, but somehow the lighting in the scene really drives home the semi-translucent quality of the top layer of carpet.

Apart from the shader, I think the effect that really sells the look of the rug is:
1. subtle displacement to simulate folds
2. manually combing the groom to simulate foot traffic
3. the (sort of) beaded rows of pile that render as small tufts - I don't totally understand how the associated bitmaps are driving this effect.

I'm wondering how generalizable the implementation is to simulate other carpet / rug types.
« Last Edit: 2021-04-28, 22:10:15 by cjwidd »