Author Topic: BMW X5 Forest  (Read 23164 times)

2015-02-12, 10:07:27
Reply #15

optionniko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is fkn amazin! The environment is sooo good, and so life-like. The smoke behind the car could use some more work, but everything else is just spot on!
Would you mind sharing the process of creating the forest, scattering trees, grass and all the rest?
Thanks

2015-02-12, 10:25:02
Reply #16

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
Great work!
Corona - the best rendering solution!

2015-02-12, 10:35:37
Reply #17

vicnaum

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Dust and volumetrics (and of course overall look & shading) is great. The only thing questionable is suspension behavior - not sure if this BMW should jump & sit so rough on every bump.

2015-02-12, 10:47:44
Reply #18

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
Dust and volumetrics (and of course overall look & shading) is great. The only thing questionable is suspension behavior - not sure if this BMW should jump & sit so rough on every bump.
good point vicnaum, for overall CGI creation the suspension behavior makes it looks natural but the deeper point is there.. when almost there is no car manufacturer have suspension standard like that.

2015-02-12, 11:20:25
Reply #19

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com

2015-02-12, 11:39:53
Reply #20

night lord

• Users
    • View Profile
nice animation
what was the system config u render it?

2015-02-12, 12:06:42
Reply #21

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be

2015-02-12, 13:07:30
Reply #22

dia

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is so bad ass ! Love the enviroment! Is the trees bought or did you made them ? 

/DIA

2015-02-12, 16:15:50
Reply #23

hglr123

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great job Rawa! :)

2015-02-12, 17:40:51
Reply #24

Adanmq

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3D Collective
Wow, amazing work.

Can you please give us more information about the project, like render times for example?

2015-02-12, 18:18:50
Reply #25

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Thanks all :)

Here are some answers:

Camera is simple - I just manually positioned camera every 40th frame in a way it would make a nice still image, then smooth interpolated between the keyframes, tweaked path so it doesn't fly through any of the trees, and added a slight noise to translation and rotation using noise float controllers.

Trees were mostly models from iCube, but i completely remade materials and added some per-instance texture randomization, tessellated bottom of the trunks further using MeshSmooth tool in Editable Poly, and used displace modifier with same texture as the one used for bump on the trunk. It adds 200-400k more polygons to the tree model, but it's usually worth it.

Grass and twigs were just clumps i manually made. As well as tree stubs...  just very simple manual models.

Scattering was done with forestpack. I drawn just a simple bitmap of forest road as well as some small footpaths branching from the main road, and then used them as distribution maps for some forest, or scale map for grass distribution forest.

Terrain material is just a few dirt textures mixed together, with different tiling. For example 10*10 tiling dirt texture mixed with 1*1 tiling 50:50, and that goes into another mix slot mixed with another 5*5 tiled dirt texture, and the mix amount map is just random screenshot of random google maps location somewhere with cranked up contrast. This gives usually enough detail to both hide tiling from distance, and look detailed enough from up close. Subtle displacement takes care of the rest.

VolumeMTL is not that fast, but it's finally usable with single bounce only feature in daily builds. I re-saved the scene, put 100% black material as override for everything, and then used VolumeMTL with single bounce only. This way i got a quick volumetric pass i comped over in fusion.

As for the car animation... there were quite a few iterations on that. It just kept looking too rigid, so we were constantly softening the suspension, until we came up with this.

As for the rendertime. It was 55 minutes/frame on our render farm which mostly consist of dual xeon blades. IDK exact config, but i know on my workstation it was 1h 30m for fullHD frame on i7 3930k. Both DoF and MB are rendered, and GI was PT+PT. Took 100 passes to come out clean enough.

2015-02-12, 18:22:17
Reply #26

tolgahan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Architectural visualization & Graphic design
wonderfull cg enviroment and car reactions...excellent

facebook.com/Avisgrafik
Imagination is more important than knowlege

2015-02-12, 18:30:20
Reply #27

optionniko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the answers Rawalanche. Really good insight! May I ask what was the light source....HDRI?

2015-02-12, 19:27:15
Reply #28

patilrahul1988

• Active Users
    • View Profile
outstanding work ...............love the Details & camera work :)

2015-02-12, 19:31:31
Reply #29

AnubisMe

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Fantastic work Rawalanche! Love the flow of the animation and detail in the forest.