Author Topic: CoronaPattern playground!  (Read 42387 times)

2022-07-13, 11:22:00

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
CoronaPatternMod modifier is out with first Corona 9 Daily build!
Create a surface, apply the modifier, set the pattern-geometry and boom!
Go ahead and share your results here.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2022-07-13, 11:30:35
Reply #1

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh wow! That was unexpected, thought no new features are planned for next update, great stuff!

2022-07-13, 12:18:30
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
First of all, thank you very much for this guys! Really exciting and unexpected feature to have in Corona. After short amount of testing, i found some issues and have few requests for improving, which i'd like to share here.

Issues
  • crop box disappears in viewport when you zoom closer to it, making fine adjustments very hard
  • when random offset is not 0, then slightest touch to the pattern node is changing random seed, making the pattern quite unpredictable

Feature requests
  • i think it would be more logical to have pattern offset at 0 by default, instead of 1
  • it would be nice if adjusting pattern offset would move crop box gizmo in viewport, to provide better visual cue to the user
  • it's nice that we have an option to choose UVWs between pattern and base objects, but sometimes (quite often) i want to have both. Maybe good solution would be to have dedicated surface map, like Chaos Scatter has, which would let to get base object's colours without sacrificing pattern object's UVs. In fact both, the Scatter and The Pattern could share the same map
  • random offset is nice, but it has big drawback - it makes seams by not respecting pattern boundaries. I would love to have an option to distort pattern with map, or with in-built noise, that would preserve pattern boundaries. It would be basically the same as distorting base object's UVs, but on much finer level.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-07-13, 16:08:50
Reply #3

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Duplicated from the main daily builds discussion tread

CoronaPattern works like a charm, I only have 2 questions:

1) is it possible to add a random rotation option, this would come in handy when scattering grass samples

2) Is it possible to add a scaling option (in order to get an overlap of individual patterns and not cut them strictly in a rectangle)
however, as far as I understand, point 2 is not feasible in the current realities

2022-07-14, 05:02:33
Reply #4

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
One more, while the IR is running and the checkbox "Use pattern material" is checked, then changes in the pattern material (for example, changing the color) are not updated, you must reassign the material or restart the interactive.

2022-07-14, 11:46:09
Reply #5

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Tested out some basic bricks. Flawless so far.

It takes a bit of getting used to with all the various coordinates needed across the uvw mapping, the modifier itself and the object, but this allows for lots of control too, I guess :)
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2022-07-14, 11:56:56
Reply #6

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
One more, while the IR is running and the checkbox "Use pattern material" is checked, then changes in the pattern material (for example, changing the color) are not updated, you must reassign the material or restart the interactive.
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this. I have reproduced it and will forward to the devs.

Cheers,

Rowan

(Internal ID=930829497)
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2022-07-14, 12:58:04
Reply #7

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Feature requests
  • i think it would be more logical to have pattern offset at 0 by default, instead of 1
  • it would be nice if adjusting pattern offset would move crop box gizmo in viewport, to provide better visual cue to the user
  • it's nice that we have an option to choose UVWs between pattern and base objects, but sometimes (quite often) i want to have both. Maybe good solution would be to have dedicated surface map, like Chaos Scatter has, which would let to get base object's colours without sacrificing pattern object's UVs. In fact both, the Scatter and The Pattern could share the same map
  • random offset is nice, but it has big drawback - it makes seams by not respecting pattern boundaries. I would love to have an option to distort pattern with map, or with in-built noise, that would preserve pattern boundaries. It would be basically the same as distorting base object's UVs, but on much finer level.
CoronaPattern works like a charm, I only have 2 questions:

1) is it possible to add a random rotation option, this would come in handy when scattering grass samples

2) Is it possible to add a scaling option (in order to get an overlap of individual patterns and not cut them strictly in a rectangle)
however, as far as I understand, point 2 is not feasible in the current realities
Hi,

I have logged these, I will speak to the devs and see what can be done.

Cheers,

Rowan

(Internal ID=930833231)
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2022-07-14, 13:01:45
Reply #8

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
just testing

Edit: omg romullus, I missclicked and selected the wrong topic, please delete or move this msg)
« Last Edit: 2022-07-14, 13:05:37 by marchik »

2022-07-14, 13:39:56
Reply #9

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Leave it, it looks cool ;)

We just need bug reports in one place
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2022-07-14, 14:16:52
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It looks very cool indeed. How did you do the pattern itself, Marchik?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-07-14, 15:40:07
Reply #11

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It looks very cool indeed. How did you do the pattern itself, Marchik?
Thanks guys, splines and Ornatrix, one for the main threads, separately for the fluffy ones.

I really would like to be able to scale and overlap the patterns a little bit, so as not to have such problems when joining together chaotic patterns like this.
Ondra, is it possible to implement or they must be strictly separated, each in its own square?
« Last Edit: 2022-07-14, 16:12:09 by marchik »

2022-07-14, 16:13:02
Reply #12

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks guys, splines and Ornatrix, one for the main threads, separately for the fluffy ones.

I really would like to be able to scale and overlap the patterns a little bit, so as not to have such problems when joining together chaotic patterns like this.
Ondra, is it possible to implement or they must be strictly separated, each in its own square?

Looks awesome!

Would you mind sharing your scene? I'd love to try it out.

2022-07-14, 16:22:06
Reply #13

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
just testing

Edit: omg romullus, I missclicked and selected the wrong topic, please delete or move this msg)

DUDE... :|
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2022-07-15, 21:06:13
Reply #14

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
CactusPattern