Chaos Corona for Cinema 4D > [C4D] General Discussion

Physical material tutorial

<< < (3/3)

davetwo:

--- Quote from: Nejc Kilar on 2021-12-06, 16:57:11 ---
--- Quote from: davetwo on 2021-12-06, 15:44:26 ---I'm really glad that you're making these films. It's definitely needed!

To agree with ShahynRox some of the simple stuff can be moved over a bit quicker. Most users are not rank beginners.

The real need is to address some of the new ways of working - which to existing users are definitely not more intuitive.

Example below...  a simple bottle with greenish glass where it's thicker. Simple using the legacy material.
But the same settings give a completely different result in Physical. I have no idea how to set up my glass now - so just stick with legacy 99.9% of the time.

Can you enlighten me?

--- End quote ---

Thank you for the feedback, appreciate it!

For your particular example, I'm guessing you have the roughness set to a value quite a bit higher than 0% which is making the material ... Rougher.

We'll tackle this in the upcoming tutorials in the series but the roughness parameter affects both the roughness of your reflections as well as your refractions. So set that to match what you have set in the refraction channel in the legacy material and it should look similar. The physical MTL does use a different physical model for calculating refractions so values that aren't 100% glossy won't match 1:1, you'll probably want to tweak those slightly.

--- End quote ---

Hmmm how strange. It wasn't the roughness setting, the glass was completely clear until I activated the volumetrics. Only then did it become cloudy. Thats why I found it so odd.

However, testing on another machine it does indeed work as expected! So it may have been some sort of bug. I deleted the old file unfortunately. But I'll flag if it happens again.

EDIT. Gah! My bad. I forgot that I'd plugged a noise into the glossiness slot of the legacy material. Of course when I copied it into the Physical material it was in the Roughness slot instead as that field has changed. So the noise had the opposite effect to what I was expecting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version