Author Topic: View LUT?  (Read 2458 times)

2023-09-26, 19:28:03
Reply #15

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think I get what you mean - in the example I mentioned what's needed is a un-tonemapped plate with a LUT preview in the rendered VFB, with the rendered CG output next to it, maybe processed with yet another LUT, this is slightly different. Yeah, probably not the best fit.

What I meant is more about how and why it's useful to have, or even a must in some productions. Sure there's some leeway in every production :D but there's a reason a display transform is part of OCIO and LUT preview was considered useful/mandatory in 3ds max some 15-20 years ago.

2023-09-26, 19:35:55
Reply #16

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I get what you mean now, fair point.

2023-09-26, 19:53:41
Reply #17

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
lut / cdl was conceived as a viewing only tool / transform.
viewing lut in VRay (2.2, srgb and icc) was always there during my time. after some years another lut was added as an effect (next to exposure etc). and only after some more years passed a little button “save output with lut” was added.
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2024-03-22, 12:06:54
Reply #18

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Corona does have a view transform. you just can not change it or turn it off. 3dsmax gives you the option to apply it, not to apply it or even apply a different one when it asks you what gamma would you like to save your output with.

correction: you can actually turn it off without affecting 3ds Max settings with string option: float colormap.additionalGamma = -1.2
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube