Author Topic: Tiles playground  (Read 10364 times)

2023-10-25, 19:52:53

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The new Tile Map was added in today's daily. Share your results, share your feedback!

Please check this article covering the risks of using daily builds: Daily Builds FAQ
If you are familiar with the daily builds and know how to use them, download the newest one here:
corona-11-3dsmax-daily-2023-10-25.exe

Don't forget to take advantage of things like the multiple input/outputs so you can separately control color, bump, displacement, etc. all from the same TileMap. And of course make use of the new "by Tile id" option in the MappingRandomizer and the MultiMap.
« Last Edit: 2023-10-26, 09:19:33 by maru »
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2023-10-25, 20:27:42
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
And a doodle from me as well, probably in contention for the weirdest camera angle of the year 2023.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2023-10-25, 21:16:15
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It seems Corona tiles is a map i didn't know i need. Thank you Corona team! I'm sure people will raise lots of suggestions how to enhance and improve it and here's one from me - i think blurring parameter is crucial for this map, especially when the map is used for displacement, those jagged edges doesn't look nice.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-10-26, 12:15:52
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I don't like how tiling behaves when switching between 0-1 and RW mapping. Why does size multiplier has to be converted to 1 when in RW mode? It makes unnecessary mess with tile width, height and gap when switching back to 0-1 mapping. I think it would be much better if the switching between modes would be handled exactly like it is done in native and Corona bitmaps. It's much simpler and less confusing.

2023-10-26, 18:38:37
Reply #4

n2graf

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My applause to corona legion, you have done a great job with corona tilemap. It's awesome, thank you very much. Something like this was missing from too many years ago. The only drawback I can say is because there is no herringbone pattern. I know you can make customs, but do customs allow the diagonal tile?

Thank you

2023-10-26, 18:43:49
Reply #5

n2graf

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And one more thing, would it be possible to add the "color 2" concept that have berconmaps? That is, being able to activate a gradient from the gap to the tile to make a smoother transition. Very useful to simulate dirt near the gap (with a dirt texture) or for bumps or displacements where the tile is convex. Once again, thank you very much for the work!

2023-10-26, 18:53:54
Reply #6

n2graf

• Active Users
    • View Profile
sorry, one last thing. It would be possible to apply noise in the gap, but not within its texture but rather the distortion of the gap itself, just as happens in 3dsmax tile. It is useful for making rough gaps that have diferent thickness maybe because the tile deformation of an old wood for example, or such as the gaps between the formwork concrete plates.

In the same way as 3dsmax tile, the option to disable some random tile, as if the brick had fallen from the wall, would also be useful. Now I think that's all!

2023-10-27, 17:54:34
Reply #7

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
sorry, one last thing. It would be possible to apply noise in the gap, but not within its texture but rather the distortion of the gap itself, just as happens in 3dsmax tile. It is useful for making rough gaps that have diferent thickness maybe because the tile deformation of an old wood for example, or such as the gaps between the formwork concrete plates.

In the same way as 3dsmax tile, the option to disable some random tile, as if the brick had fallen from the wall, would also be useful. Now I think that's all!

A feature like this (and more) is planned, so stay tuned.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-10-27, 18:07:46
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
fooling around with procedural bricks
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-11-02, 15:13:57
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Planar mapping + mapping randomizer + Corona tiles + Chaos scatter = pure awesomeness. Can't wait when edge blurring/beveling will be implemented. Also more shapes/patterns would be welcome, for example hexagonal tiles.

2023-11-02, 15:25:51
Reply #10

leo_surrealismo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
great romullus!
could you explain me your setup on the scene with scatter?

2023-11-02, 15:47:18
Reply #11

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks romullus, some nice tests there!

2023-11-02, 16:39:35
Reply #12

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
great romullus!
could you explain me your setup on the scene with scatter?

That's actually very easy - you just plug tiles map with black tile and white gap colours into scatter's distribution mapping slot and it's done. Beware that currently you can't use that same tiles map that you've used for shading, because it will crash 3ds Max. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

2023-11-02, 16:41:31
Reply #13

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Meanwhile another test. Turns out, unstuck tiles is not that hard to achieve, but dedicated option would be nice to have.

2023-11-02, 16:54:18
Reply #14

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You could also use MultiMap for this. :)
Update: I mean feed "broken" bitmaps into one multimap slot and "clean" bitmaps into another slot - then adjust frequencies as needed.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us