Author Topic: VDB grids  (Read 482 times)

2024-03-19, 03:53:03

dronzero

• Users
    • View Profile
If I have a VDB grid that has an emissive portion, then set that grid to not be visible to camera, then the grid doesn't cast any light on other objects in the scene. I would assume like any other self illuminated object, light or object light material, then it should still be able to cast light when not visible to camera.

2024-03-19, 18:01:21
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
In Corona, when something isn't visible to the camera, it's pretty much non-renderable, so it will not affect the scene in any way. Do I understand correctly that you would like to have a volume grid which is emissive (casts some light into the scene), but is not visible directly? Why exactly do you need that? What's the use case? I think this may not be possible, but maybe I could offer some workaround once I understand the specific scenario better.
« Last Edit: 2024-03-22, 09:58:27 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2024-03-22, 09:59:00
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sorry, I made a mistake in my previous message. When an object is invisible to a camera, it should still cast shadows, etc. But I am still interested in understanding better what your use case is.

2024-03-25, 17:43:33
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I cannot reproduce the original report. If I make a volume grid with emission invisible to camera, it still casts light into the scene.