Author Topic: Corona Render Elements Gamma  (Read 4270 times)

2014-01-03, 15:42:26

Midge

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Mantissa
Hey everyone,

I was experimenting with combining Render Elements from Corona to get more control and there's a few things I had some questions about.

I rendered a simple scene with some basic materials to get reflections and refractions.
Then I comped the DiffuseGI, ReflectGI and RefractGI in After Effects to get the beauty pass.

I'm used to comping Vray render elements and there I need Direct and Indirect Illumination passes added to get the same result as the DiffuseGI from Corona.
However in Corona the DirectLighting pass doesn't seem to be needed. (and seems to contain mild reflections)
How would I go about getting the direct and indirect lighting passes separately from Corona? The control this gives in post is really nice.

Also, when comping the passes (linearly) in AE, i had to manually reverse gamma correct them (gamma 0.4545) each to get the desired result.
Is this a known bug for the Render Elements or am I missing an option somewhere?

I can send a sample file if anyone's interested.

Thanks,

M.

2014-01-04, 15:06:00
Reply #1

lmikkelb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Its a known bug:)

2014-01-05, 11:25:56
Reply #2

digimas

• Users
    • View Profile
Its not a bug. The solution is setting gamma/lut image output settings in max customize and save image gamma in common render settings window separately. Try to play with it.

2014-01-05, 19:04:18
Reply #3

Midge

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Mantissa
I guess saving each channel separately to a file sequence is a workaround, but I like having everything in 1 EXR sequence.
Will there be a separate output option (for rendering all the passes into to one EXR) when working with EXR 2.0 in the future? (I guess saving the output from the Vray Frame Buffer is a good example of what I'm talking about)

2014-01-05, 19:25:29
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Hi,
as for the first issue, the passes available: Corona Alpha v5 has somehow limited number of passes, but the next release will have the full spectrum: {Direct, GI, Complete}×{Diffuse, Reflect, Refract, Translucency}.

Second problem is with the gamma: this is an issue of 3Dsmax, which handles the saving. Plugins responsibility is only to provide it with data, which Corona (at least in the latest daily version ;)) does correctly. Use 3dsmax 2014 for best results, as it can automatically detect correct image gamma, and apply it.

Third problem, saving everything as single EXR: this can be done in 2 ways, either via 3dsmax (which can save complete image with passes into single EXR, if you add the elements to it somewhere in the UI), or via Corona by enabling autosave option in VFB rollout
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-01-06, 10:41:14
Reply #5

Midge

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • The Mantissa
Alright, thanks for the info!

At least now I know it's not just me, I'll be waiting (im)patiently for the next release. :)