General Category > Hardware

Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)

(1/303) > >>

Jpjapers:
This thread contains a lot of information on compatible hardware for AMD Threadripper CPUs from Zen 2 onwards.
Post your build and get some advice on your specs.

Original post content

--- Quote ---I Noticed someone posted a benchmark today for the new 32 core amd ryzen threadripper 2990wx.
It had an x4 next to the cpu name. Is that using 4 of the processors? Or is it because there are 4 dies per processor?
The result was far from spectacular at 42 seconds. still WAY over the fastest xeon result but decent for a prosumer grade sku.
But still seeing that its double the core count of the previous 16 core threadripper at a decent clock speed its surprising that they only managed to shave off 15ish seconds.
--- End quote ---

3DsChobo:
It was tested using one threadripper at factory settings. So I guess the 4 stands for the dies within.
You can read the corresponding article here (they submitted the corona bench afterwards).
https://www.computerbase.de/2018-08/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-2950x-test/

The result is really good and can compete even with the Xeon 8180.
But the question is how the CPU will perforn on memory intense scenes, since the memory intertface has severe problems.

Jpjapers:

--- Quote from: 3DsChobo on 2018-08-13, 16:47:15 ---It was tested using one threadripper at factory settings. So I guess the 4 stands for the dies within.
You can read the corresponding article here (they submitted the corona bench afterwards).
https://www.computerbase.de/2018-08/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-2950x-test/

The result is really good and can compete even with the Xeon 8180.
But the question is how the CPU will perforn on memory intense scenes, since the memory intertface has severe problems.

--- End quote ---

Its ppretty decent yeah im just surprised that it isnt quicker given i can hit 01:02 on my 16 core. granted at a higher clock speed. Its still pretty amazing though! Glad to see a drop in price of the 1950x too

PROH:
There's already a new benchmark at 37sec. There's also a benchmark for the 2950x at 1:04:99.

danio1011:
PCWorld has a video review that shows Corona scaling almost linearly above the 1950x (assuming both are at stock speeds.)

Right around 7:40:

I'm on an overclocked 1950x now.  Just waiting for a few more reviews and benchmarks to trickle out before I upgrade.  Almost 2x the performance seems worth it...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version