Author Topic: Unreal Engine 5 Tech Demo  (Read 4633 times)

2020-05-14, 07:18:21

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Curious what Corona Renderer users think about the UE5 tech demo that was released today. It's a common comment these days, "we're switching to Unreal Engine", but of course there are still projects for which Unreal Engine is not a suitable alternative. Thoughts?

« Last Edit: 2020-05-15, 04:00:50 by cjwidd »

2020-05-14, 07:21:38
Reply #1

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I seen this yesterday and fell off my chair. Its absolutely amazing the technology in this, I cant wait to see what people do with it.

2020-05-14, 09:49:48
Reply #2

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Looks really great and based on the UE5 landing page it has some really incredibly useful stuff in there that can imho bring it into the domain of offline renderers for certain projects - Namely the high poly count / high res texture virtualization and supposedly there is no need for UVs / GI light baking anymore. To me those are the key features.

Still, I don't think it will be a game changer for high(er) end viz work. I think offline renderers will still be the way to go for that accurate, high fidelity type of work.

Really like to see progress like this but let's not forget these tech demos are typically made with sizeable teams and are created to "pixel perfect accuracy". Really happy to see it progress though! Kudos Epic!
« Last Edit: 2020-05-14, 09:56:06 by Nejc Kilar »
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2020-05-14, 11:18:22
Reply #3

Philip kelly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sketchrender
And I would say over GIG in project size.
Dell Precision T7910

2020-05-14, 13:52:38
Reply #4

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
... a PS5 thingy for time being (getting on w/ holistic H/W + dedicated S/W open world game oriented approach)
we would see it demoed on a PC otherwise

& consumer/investor/government wise, am seeing it much easier & cheaper for spectator to immerse in presentation/demo of detailed master plans for future cities (proposals)

2020-05-14, 17:20:41
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
If anyone is interested in more technicalities, check this out: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-this-is-next-gen-unreal-engine-running-on-playstation-5
It's basically point clouds on steroids. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-05-15, 02:54:29
Reply #6

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Not sure how reactionary it is, but there was a lot of conversation in other 3d forums, particularly from junior artists, who were asking whether they even needed to continue learning topology standards, whether optimization is a category of skill that will becomes redundant, how outsourcing will be affected, and how do you manage storage limits given the scope of performance that is being offered?
« Last Edit: 2020-05-15, 04:01:21 by cjwidd »

2020-05-17, 18:41:18
Reply #7

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
If you are very familiar with ue4, you can produce very photorealistic results using it. With RTX, thats already possible with realtime reflections. UE5 is just a chance for those of us already famliar with it to push photorealism even further. Personally, I see UE5 as the ultimate renderer as those restrictions like lightmap baking, setting up uvs, mesh optimizations, normal maps e.t.c take a back seat and all you need to concentrate on is create. Looking forward to UE5 release.

2020-05-17, 21:26:35
Reply #8

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Amazing computing power. Will it solve the world's main problems? :)))
Okay, seriously speaking now. The aesthetics looked still very game-like. Would like to see some archviz.
What I see on their website looks like rendered with the on-board renderer from some older version of C4D.

2020-05-17, 21:28:35
Reply #9

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Something I didn't notice at first is how there are basically no reflections or foliage in the demo

Maybe their virtual geometry system doesn't work well with alpha transparency(?)

Maybe their reflection denoiser wasn't fully developed for the demo(?)
« Last Edit: 2020-05-17, 21:33:29 by cjwidd »

2020-05-17, 22:51:29
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Someone asked for reflections? :D

I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-05-17, 22:57:45
Reply #11

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Lol all of the reflections