Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 519759 times)

2018-09-13, 22:01:26
Reply #75

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah that is the reason I went for the EKWB loop as well. It's the only ultimate non-compromise choice and it is available immediately.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-09-13, 22:32:29
Reply #76

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I thought some of you might like this review.

TL,DR: They had shit board with poor mounting issue ( the infamous Foxconn issue). I don't think this extrapolates well to something like MSI MEG which reports none of this.

Heatkiller IV is still the best. If you apply properly TIM and pressure, all other perform the same within single degree.

https://www.xtremerigs.net/2018/08/29/amd-threadripper-cpu-block-review-round-up/11/

(Personally, I am staying with the EKWB unit since I won't have any mounting&pressure issue on MSI MEG and I like the pre-mounted setup)
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2018-09-14, 18:46:40
Reply #77

nerfherder

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for that - good info, but I think I'll go with EKWB as well, mainly because they have a good system config tool on their website which makes the ordering process less scary for a watercooling novice like me (and I've heard lots of positive feedback about them).

2018-09-16, 11:05:20
Reply #78

Karolis

• Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys, sorry to jump in. Juraj, would it be possible for you to post some comparison of viewport performance in 3ds Max between 2990wx and 7980xe? There are a lot of rendering reviews but I'm especially wondering how the 2990wx performs while modelling or navigating the viewport since it has not so good reviews regarding gaming.

Thanks a lot

2018-09-16, 17:56:22
Reply #79

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I think I could do that but we only have one 1080ti and other Titan-X(Maxwell) which are unequal and I am bit lazy swapping it. Also, we're still on 2016 which has very smooth viewport as long as scene fits into VRAM (the moment our scenes overflow Veronika's previous 8GB of GTX 1070, the performance loss was brutal...like 95perc. From 100fps to zero fps.

After recent Geforce driver patches, the perfomance seems more than ok.

If anyone is interested I would gladly sell my (delidded) i9 7980XE and swap it for 2990WX :- ). I do not care for where it is slower. If I won't sell it, I will put it under brutal water loop same as the 2990WX.

Hey, pictures tomorrow btw ! Will finish this tonight.

« Last Edit: 2018-09-16, 18:10:00 by Juraj Talcik »

2018-09-16, 18:52:28
Reply #80

Gewiz90

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you share your EKWB part list?

2018-09-16, 18:58:59
Reply #81

Bzuco

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • personal web page
Nice photo, looks like MATTONI inside loop? :))

2018-09-16, 19:02:56
Reply #82

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah, after fill :- ) It's not like that anymore, still a bit to bleed out but nothing inside loop.

Will put list of course.

2018-09-16, 20:56:14
Reply #83

Karolis

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply. How much do you want for the dellided 7980xe? :)

2018-09-16, 21:40:42
Reply #84

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I need to run the most important benchmark, Witcher 3 :- ). But shoot me an email (on my website) if you're interested.

Edit: I love this thing. Tried automatic PBO since I don't know how to set the other two Amper values (I know Kitguru's magic trinity but I don't how he came across them, will try tomorrow), but got it above 5900 CB15 points without sweat (3.8-3.9Ghz) and the fans do not even need to start spinning.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-17, 00:30:33 by Juraj Talcik »

2018-09-17, 01:08:53
Reply #85

nerfherder

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks great! Can't wait to get started on my build, those CB points look very promising.

2018-09-17, 01:21:10
Reply #86

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah, the BIOS less so... Lot of benign changes result in occassional 06 (microcode loading) issue after restart. Simply starting again solves it. No issue during run-time whatsover, no issue with stability. Just the 06 q-code issue.

I found quite few people with that already on forums, doesn't look like there is any more recent uefi file public (13th August is the last one), will not risk their private beta uefi yet.

Edit1: Ok I have July 23rd uefi, will test the August build.
Edit2: Solved microcode loading. Uefi still confusing mess to me. Smart fan speed control will randomly loose on/off, setting jet-engine. It remember the settings under smart fan speed, but not the status. Was able to replicate the issue like five times in row, sending email to support.
Edit3: Nope, not solved. Looks like smart fan speed is enough to bring this board to knees.... back to 06 q-code. Fuck it for tonight.

Can you believe this crap ?

The fan control is a bit difficult when you overclock your memory. MSI does some 'stuff' to step up the speed of the fans to cool more if your memory speed is over 2750 MHz. It's an undocumented feature (right now) that I only learned about earlier this week after inquiring them about it.

Now this explains all the trouble with A-XMP and Fan control. It doesn't play together. Will try ignoring XMP and set memory manually.
edit: Nope, I have no idea how to keep overclocked memory and Smart fan control. Overclocked memory basically resets the setting to OFF automatically after boot. I will send MSI email they have never seen before.

Look at this crazy advice from MSI forum dev;

If you want to use smart fan mode while overclocking,
then please change OC settings in BIOS, change fan mode in BIOS, save and exit and do not go back to BIOS.
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=307570.0

Which will just result in Q-Code issue anyway. No way to "cheat it". MSI knows better than you ! Christ, they created overclocker's board, which doesn't let you control fucking fans !! And they will even admit it is "design decision".

Last Edit: PC is stable, Memory running at A-XMP profile 2, should be 2800 only but Windows refers to it as 2933 so I don't know. Fans are controlled. Can restart how many times I want, will boot 100perc. each time. Except..

... I can't go into UEFI again without fucking this all over. So I basically have 500 Euro board which is "Set it but please don't touch again". Glorious. Just glorious :- D
« Last Edit: 2018-09-17, 03:21:49 by Juraj Talcik »

2018-09-17, 06:42:39
Reply #87

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That sounds rather touchy.  Would you get that board again?

I just watched a random review of VRM performance vs an overclocked 2990wx and while the MEG is the best performer, the trusty Taichi did decent:

Thinking I might get my new build on or around Black Friday.  I wish there was a ‘perfect’ motherboard option!

2018-09-17, 11:25:39
Reply #88

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
... I can't go into UEFI again without fucking this all over. So I basically have 500 Euro board which is "Set it but please don't touch again". Glorious. Just glorious :- D

Damn, this is pretty crazy. I'm currently getting mine built by overclockers UK with a full EK loop (nice 3 year warranty that includes against leaks), but I don't like the sound of those motherboard issues! What's annoying is that there's literally no viable alternative board if you're looking to OC the 2990wx.
Vray who?

2018-09-17, 11:33:42
Reply #89

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
Fingers crossed Juraj for the build/testing. It seems all 2nd gen boards have bios issues. I was very disappointed last night what i saw what kind of mess  Aorus xtreme bios is

And on top of that windows scheduler stuff..., this build will need a lot of patience.. 

For everybody going 2990wx, Wendel from Lvl1 tech have plenty of good info about 2990wx and numa/threading/scheduling stuff and how to optimize the performance. I tried process lasso on my current mashine and definitely will keep it running for new 2990wx build.

Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net
Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com
Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net