Author Topic: fStorm color mapping  (Read 3795 times)

2018-07-11, 13:35:51

kosso_olli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey,
I know some people here have great experience with color mapping, LUTs and color correction in general, especially dubcat. He also created the photograpic LUTs that ship with Corona.
I just got an idea: Would it be possible to render an image of a color checker in fStorm twice; one time with color mapping, one time without? And then compare these images and create a LUT of them? So we could have the fStorm color mapping as a LUT for Corona, or even V-Ray if you want...
The V-Ray guy checking out Corona...

https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

2018-07-11, 13:51:58
Reply #1

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I had the same thought a while ago but (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) there were some limitations to doing what you're trying to achieve using LUTs, something about not enough tonal range able to be accessed simply by using a LUT, there needed to be a redo of the entire colour mapping code to achieve something similar (ACES/proper filmic implementation e.t.c)

Having worked with FStorm over the last few months I can hands down say it's tone mapping implementation blows Coronas out of the water. Dubcat's ACES VFB settings can get close, but there's still that "CGI'd" feeling in a few places, whereas FStorm is like snapping a photo on a high end DSLR. I've been ranting about getting tone mapping updated in Corona for ages as I've believe it's a hugely overlooked part of the rendering equation (inb4 "but you can just use photoshop/something about the VFX industry").
Vray who?

2018-07-11, 15:01:29
Reply #2

kosso_olli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been ranting about getting tone mapping updated in Corona for ages as I've believe it's a hugely overlooked part of the rendering equation (inb4 "but you can just use photoshop/something about the VFX industry").

Oh yeah, it's the same here as well. I would rather have a button that says "render linear" or something like that, to fulfill the demands of the oldschool VFX and post guys, but straight out of the box Corona and V-Ray should render as close to a camera as possible. I believe there was a whole thread dedicated to that topic here on the forums, I don't know where it has gone to.
I still feel a LUT made from fStorm renders could help however, if that is possible.

Also, fStorm has that feeling to it's renders that Maxwell render had in the Alpha stage. When the release candidate for Maxwell was around, they changed color mapping in order to make it work with render elements or something, but in turn the output was less realistic. I still have some renders from the alpha on my disk that look similar to fStorm nowadays.

2018-09-06, 00:50:03
Reply #3

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would rather have a button that says "render linear" or something like that, to fulfill the demands of the oldschool VFX and post guys, but straight out of the box Corona and V-Ray should render as close to a camera as possible.

I completely agree! Good to know I'm not alone.

I believe there was a whole thread dedicated to that topic here on the forums, I don't know where it has gone to.

Any success finding that thread? I'd love to take a look.

2018-09-06, 01:08:28
Reply #4

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2018-09-06, 12:12:22
Reply #5

kosso_olli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, that was the thread I was talking about. Thanks for digging it out.
Still wish that something could be done, both in Corona and in V-Ray.

2018-09-07, 03:11:04
Reply #6

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile