Author Topic: Inaccessible boot device after bios update  (Read 4835 times)

2020-05-01, 17:49:37

Giona

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • 3D - MTB - Photography
    • View Profile
    • Giona Andreani 3D Visualization
I updated the bios of my Asus ROG Strix x570-e Gaming to the last available, since Substance Painter was telling me that my old bios was known to create errors with the app.

The procedure was successful, but at the restart of the pc a BSOD appears with this error: inaccessible boot device.

The pc then reboots itself and asks me to do an automatic recovery of windows. After the recovery, the PC manages to enter Windows, everything works, but the Asus Suite 3 app crashes immediately. I am attaching screenshots of the error.

But the real problem is that if I turn off the pc, the next time I switch it on the bsod appears again, I have to restore windows, then it works fine.

Could it be a problem of corrupted system files? Should I format and reinstall windows again?
I never had a problem updating bios on all my computers since 15 years! It's crazy..

I already tried to load the default settings in the bios, nothing change..
Is not possible to go back to my previous BIOS because is too old and on the asus drivers page there is this statement: *You will not be able to downgrade your BIOS after updating to this BIOS version
Of course I tried, but it doesn't work..

Here is my pc config:

Windows 10 Pro 1909

Ryzen 9 3950X
Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
128GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz
RTX 2070 Super
System disk: WD 500GB NVMe I think the problem is here..
Crucial 1TB SSD
2 Seagate Barracuda 2TB in Raid 1 for storage and backup
Noctua NH U12A
Coolermaster V850 Platinum

Let me know if you have any suggestions
Thanks

2020-05-01, 19:35:22
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah this Windows bug, unrelated to bios really (even if that can become trigger), old as the Windows 7 itself.

I had it last week with file-server simply due to accidently switching SATA connectors..

Check in bios boot order, see if everything looks to be in order after the bios upgrade. There really isn't single solution, once you managed to enter in Windows, re-install SSD driver (doesn't really matter if the NVMe driver is from Microsoft or Samsung one, they perform identically but at different occasion each one can be problematic. I use the Microsoft one.)

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-05-01, 19:53:23
Reply #2

Giona

• Active Users
  • 3D - MTB - Photography
    • View Profile
Yeah this Windows bug, unrelated to bios really (even if that can become trigger), old as the Windows 7 itself.

I had it last week with file-server simply due to accidently switching SATA connectors..

Check in bios boot order, see if everything looks to be in order after the bios upgrade. There really isn't single solution, once you managed to enter in Windows, re-install SSD driver (doesn't really matter if the NVMe driver is from Microsoft or Samsung one, they perform identically but at different occasion each one can be problematic. I use the Microsoft one.)

In the bios settings the boot order seems correct. The m.2 drive is already set as 1st boot option.

From where should I find the ssd drivers to reinstall in windows? Can you provide some links?
My nvme drive is a western digital, but on their website I can't find the drivers..
Thanks!

2020-05-02, 10:24:44
Reply #3

Giona

• Active Users
  • 3D - MTB - Photography
    • View Profile
It seems that I already have the Microsoft drivers for the NVMe controller. (see attachment) Is from there that I should re-install it?
I've never done this, so I'm not sure how to search for different drivers than the ones already installed..

2020-05-27, 13:59:44
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Out of curiosity - what is the status of this?
I've had some similar problems recently. The "windows restore" would boot after some failed BIOS fiddling. But it went back to normal after a restart.
I also had similar issues with the AI suite and I solved that by fully uninstalling it. ;)

This failing NVME drive is your system drive, right?
Is everything fine if you go to Disk Management? (type "partition" in the Start Menu search)

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-05-27, 14:09:32
Reply #5

Giona

• Active Users
  • 3D - MTB - Photography
    • View Profile
Out of curiosity - what is the status of this?
I've had some similar problems recently. The "windows restore" would boot after some failed BIOS fiddling. But it went back to normal after a restart.
I also had similar issues with the AI suite and I solved that by fully uninstalling it. ;)

This failing NVME drive is your system drive, right?
Is everything fine if you go to Disk Management? (type "partition" in the Start Menu search)

Hi Marcin, I solved the problem by formatting the NVME drive and reinstalling Windows on it.
The drive is fine, before formatting it I checked everyting to see if it could be the problem, but nothing appeared wrong.
I think that updating the BIOS ended with some incompatibility with the Asus suite. It was also impossibile to uninstall completely the suite.

I decided to not reinstall the Asus AI suite to avoid problems in the future. I tuned the fans speed directly into the BIOS.