Author Topic: Creating FAST realistic ocean material  (Read 12376 times)

2016-06-03, 09:34:48

iLEZ

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • andersryttar.se
I have a job that will require many animations of fly-bys on objects at sea. Think oil rigs viewed from helicopters. I'm using Siger maps as bump-maps to make waves. I'm using no refraction on the water as I think that would take too long to calculate. The ocean is just one big rectangle with my ocean material on it. The scene is lit with a Corona Sun and the skylight environment. I'm having problems with fireflies.

What would be a nice way to set up a fast rendering realistic ocean material for a scene like this? Would you create haze with a depth-pass in post or is there a better way of doing it in-engine?
I'm attaching a look+feel-image of what I want to accomplish.

2016-06-03, 10:13:57
Reply #1

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Consider this has your last option, put perhaps you could have a look at Fusion. I saw an amazing water shader that they used for a couple of movies. It is real time and very easy to use.

2016-06-03, 10:35:41
Reply #2

iLEZ

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • andersryttar.se
Consider this has your last option, put perhaps you could have a look at Fusion. I saw an amazing water shader that they used for a couple of movies. It is real time and very easy to use.

That's funny, since I use Fusion for compositing! :) I will definitely have a look, thanks!

2016-06-03, 10:36:47
Reply #3

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Me too. You can download the file from the Vimeo link. Did you find easy moving your workflow from Photoshop (I assume) to Fusion?

2016-06-03, 10:47:48
Reply #4

iLEZ

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • andersryttar.se
Me too. You can download the file from the Vimeo link. Did you find easy moving your workflow from Photoshop (I assume) to Fusion?

Absolutely, I was mostly using After Effects earlier, and the node-based workflow for animations in Fusion is fantastic!
The scene is pretty cool. I'm trying to scale it to the huge environment I need in the scene.

Still looking for a good Corona-solution of course..

2016-06-03, 10:51:22
Reply #5

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
I was using After Effects to work with the 32Bit, but since Fusion is free is what I am using now. The only downside of Fusion free is that you cannot use OFX plugins, but I think I can survive without it.

2016-06-03, 11:42:55
Reply #6

pressenter

• Active Users
  • PressEnter Design
    • View Profile
    • PressEnter Design

2016-06-03, 11:45:59
Reply #7

iLEZ

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • andersryttar.se
Have you looked into Phoenix FD?

I have, and it looks really nice, but the map works so-so as a bump/normal map, right?
I haven't had any luck with corona and the Phoenix map yet. With displacement it looks really nice, but my area is 10x10km or so, so the memory hit would be to great...

2016-06-03, 12:17:32
Reply #8

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
but my area is 10x10km or so, so the memory hit would be to great...
Which is why you would usually opt for both. You apply displacement map and it is being recalculated each frame based on pixel size. So the displacement would only be "active" in the first 100 meters or so, then it would be replaced by a bump/normal map. This way you get the best of both worlds and is standard workflow afaik.
Corona tutorial on it here:
Also, I'm not familiar with PheonixFD, but Ocean surfaces require an animated water texture to look convincing. Real flow provides such as an export. From demos I had the impression Pheonix did simulation only.

I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )