Author Topic: Unreal Engine 4 for ArchViz - Thoughts?  (Read 292382 times)

2017-07-20, 12:48:36
Reply #330

Marian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very nice video

2017-07-21, 11:52:11
Reply #331

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Amazon Lumberyard devs have made speed tree free for their users:
https://80.lv/articles/get-free-speedtree-8-with-lumberyard/

Seems like a good move to get more people to try the engine out. UE4 is still dope though. I wonder if Amazon Lumberyard have improved their realtime GI?

I'm not sure it's even worth it to make your own trees when you can use megascans stuff which looks amazingly real. Maybe when you need a verrrrry specific tree essence, but then it's a lot of hard work.

Look at this... Made entirely from pre-made megascans assets. how can the average joe compete with speedtree lol.

2017-07-21, 11:58:13
Reply #332

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Megascan doesn't give you Trees though ;- ) I would have known having account and being part of all the secret betas currently.

You still NEED SpeedTree so you can use the nice Megascan atlases on something. What they currently have scanned in 3D are just barks, trunks, or partial dead trees, but it's impossible to scan full trees and they're not creating them.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-07-22, 05:20:32
Reply #333

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah yeah my bad... I was sure megascans had complete 3d trees. I only subscribed during 1-2 months and didn't use many assets. Was lacking in biomes!!!

Are you still experimenting with ue4 once in a while Juraj. I was on otoy forum earlier and the unity+octane beta is out apparently. Hopefully it will be great!
« Last Edit: 2017-07-22, 05:52:46 by philippelamoureux »

2017-09-25, 04:02:46
Reply #334

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Latest UE4 4.18 preview version now has multi bounce from skylight and uses volumetric lightmaps. This is a game changer, Lightmass just got better.
https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/1357546-unreal-engine-4-18-preview
« Last Edit: 2017-09-25, 04:13:37 by melviso »

2017-10-21, 22:57:59
Reply #335

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
https://forums.unrealengine.com/enterprise-beta/project-nile-beta-discussions/3dsmax-to-ue4-plugins/1371470-lightmapping-cont-region-bake-gizmo

from the datasmith forum.

I think they finally realize the light baking in unreal sucks. It but it is on the agenda.

2017-10-31, 09:06:02
Reply #336

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Has anyone seen this? Looks promising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rAHM70jfzo

Seems a faster method as Lytro's Volume tracers and better reflections as Nozon's Presenz I think.

2017-10-31, 10:55:36
Reply #337

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Has anyone seen this? Looks promising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rAHM70jfzo

Seems a faster method as Lytro's Volume tracers and better reflections as Nozon's Presenz I think.

This is quite interesting. Looking forward to more info and demonstration with this.

2017-11-05, 22:30:50
Reply #338

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
My latest experimentation with Unreal Engine 4.
Candle flame in UE4:

Handpainted textures except for the candle light texture. Still WIP. The latest ue4 version has improved greatly. :- )
« Last Edit: 2017-11-05, 22:34:42 by melviso »

2017-11-13, 21:16:43
Reply #339

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have been doing games and experiments for fun in Unity for 10 years now, but now that I accidentally became an archvizer I'm slowly realizing that I bet on the wrong horse. Especially with Datasmith around the corner. Can you recommend some good beginner tutorials for Unreal? Maybe even tutorials for people coming from Unity?

2017-11-14, 01:08:28
Reply #340

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
I have been doing games and experiments for fun in Unity for 10 years now, but now that I accidentally became an archvizer I'm slowly realizing that I bet on the wrong horse. Especially with Datasmith around the corner. Can you recommend some good beginner tutorials for Unreal? Maybe even tutorials for people coming from Unity?

You can check out the Unreal engine official youtube page:
https://www.youtube.com/user/UnrealDevelopmentKit/featured

There are beginner tutorials there. Also try hanging out on the ue4 forums. There are a lot of cool people who are willing to help in case you have questions :-)

2017-12-11, 20:39:47
Reply #341

ylucic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is anybody else testing Datasmith ? ... I've been in the beta for like a week now. Exporting mesh is really good and most basic materials are fine.
There are some Corona users posting in the UE beta program forum. It would be nice to share stuff here too...
Industrial Designer
SCL

2017-12-11, 20:42:24
Reply #342

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Is anybody else testing Datasmith ? ... I've been in the beta for like a week now. Exporting mesh is really good and most basic materials are fine.
There are some Corona users posting in the UE beta program forum. It would be nice to share stuff here too...

Do tell more if you can please :) I applied but never got in. I was always torn whether its going to be gimmicky aka its going to take a long time to move over assets and convert them or its really going to help the whole DCC <-> UE workflow.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2017-12-11, 22:31:12
Reply #343

ylucic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Will do as soon I finish some other stuff at work. I'm really new to UE so I did some testing on my spare time with the limited knowledge I have on light and shading in UE.

I did some really quick export from max2017 /corona 1.7 to UE...literally just click export and then import to ue..no more than 3 minutes each. I did the test with some downloaded scenes first.

The last 3 images are the same scene, with simple materials..just diffuse, some of them with bump and falloff for reflections...but all models collapsed...I think it helps a lot with the uvw unwraping export process....and then just click export and import ...

There is no support for color correction yet, bump maps (greyscale) and other stuff, but the export process is really good on geometry...

I think it's a really good tool for us that don't know a lot of UE and had to deal with a lot of optimizing, unwrapping, etc, etc. before getting into the fun part in UE.

In one of the UE groups on facebook it has been said that this week there is going to be a big round of beta invites. So maybe more people here can test it and share tips and good practices here (and in the beta forum) ..

Industrial Designer
SCL

2017-12-20, 06:28:36
Reply #344

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Latest Ue4 work: Apartment CW