Author Topic: Help with creating rim material/sidewall map  (Read 8964 times)

2014-01-21, 11:19:20

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • johny.mrazko.visualization
Hi guys

I´m struggling to create realistic brushed metal material in Corona

Current material setup

Desired result

Current result

Also I´m having hard time creating tire sidewall, because as you can see in my picture, it looks like it is white (I used sidewall asi a bump map for tire - pure black/white) and when I tried to use displacement which is giving me better results, see what happens when rendering...

Any help kindly appreciated

2014-01-21, 13:11:10
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Maybe I'm wrong but I think for a good metal material you need to use blend or composite material consisting of a less glossy "base" and a more shiny "polishing" - and this is visible on your reference picture. At current stage of Corona development you can try using blend material but it looks like sometimes Corona has troubles with it (especially when blending two kinds of glass). You can also try adding some anisotropy, maybe it will help. Also, remember that when you are rendering something reflective, the reflected environment is very important - on your reference picture there is strong contrast between sun/sky/ground-reflecting parts.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-01-21, 14:19:25
Reply #2

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
Maru's post explains it all, but I can only add that at the current state, your Gloss is just insane 0,41 is a very low value.

I would recomend going for a search on the forum, there was a great car paint material I belive it was by Maru him self you can use it as base.
Have a nice day.
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2014-01-21, 15:06:18
Reply #3

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you guys. Maru blend material w/ anisotropy and falloff in reflection definitely did the trick - what do you think?

But still I don´t quite know what´s the matter with displacement. I´m using this map

2014-01-21, 16:43:26
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think your metal looks better but maybe anisotropy is even too much pronounced.

About the map - are you using it as displacement or bump map?

2014-01-21, 21:02:45
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I think using noise in bump map here is not the best way to achieve real noise.
Just as Maru righly said, this material in real can be polished, hence it won't have surface noise, and this noise is so microscopical on the underneath brushed layer, that better would be to
use noise or texture on specular level.
I like the idea of blanding two layers, metalic underneath with gloss and lower reflectance and upper polish (IOR based) with high reflectance and low-gloss (mirror-like reflection).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-01-21, 21:43:25
Reply #6

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you guys,

about the sidewall map - Maru as I said in my first post I used the bump map in correctly rendered image and displacement map in the second one that caused weird behavior of the whole model..

2014-01-21, 21:57:00
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
For displacement to work correct you should add "smooth" modifier (not meshsmooth!!!) to your geometry and give it maximum smoothing angle. But in this case there is no point in using displacement. You should use this map as bump map. If you are not happy with the result, you can try setting this bitmap's "blur" parameter to 0 in material editor or disabling filtering in Corona's render settings (uncheck "filter texmaps").

2014-01-22, 04:00:05
Reply #8

AnubisMe

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2014-01-22, 11:00:14
Reply #9

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I´m finally getting much closer to the desired result. After a detailed study of that wheel material and searching the internet I realized that to front rim faces are polished more (or differently) than side faces (at least it seems to me) and so I ended up with multi sub object material with this setup

Glossy front finish - Blend
Mat 1
Reflection 1
Fresnel IOR 20
Glos 0.4
Mat 2
Reflection 0.7
Fresnel IOR 20
Glos 0.7

Side finish - Blend
Mat 1
Reflection 0.5