Author Topic: Bucket Renderer in 1.4 ???  (Read 22441 times)

2016-03-23, 16:59:52

guest_guest

Hi,
why Bucket Renderer was removed from 1.4 ? :\
« Last Edit: 2016-03-23, 17:13:19 by guest_guest »

2016-03-23, 17:03:24
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

2016-03-23, 20:36:06
Reply #2

Matej Ovsenek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
is this for real???

i've read that page and there was no answer or I just missed it.... don't remove bucket rendering please... sometimes only half a bucket is enough to check things... and now I'll we'll need to wait for progressive to grind through the region ? :/

What you'll gain through adaptive, you'll loose on workflow setbacks.

or am I wrong?
----------------------------------------------
matej.ovsenek - Skype
matej.ovsenek@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/matej.ovsenek

2016-03-23, 21:53:26
Reply #3

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
is this for real???

i've read that page and there was no answer or I just missed it.... don't remove bucket rendering please... sometimes only half a bucket is enough to check things... and now I'll we'll need to wait for progressive to grind through the region ? :/

or am I wrong?
For quick checks there is IR. For Regions, there is region render.
Bucket's only real feature was old adaptivity, but it was only a color Threshold check, so it was totally replaced, improved and thus replaced by 1.4 adaptivity. There is no more upside to Bucket render and every workflow improvment you could have is somewhere else in a feature.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-03-24, 11:38:44
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Buckets used exactly the same rendering method as progressive (except for adaptivity, which is now improved). So you can use region render and everything should be fine. Maybe buckets will be still available via string options (not sure).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-03-24, 11:43:14
Reply #5

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Ondra about bucket renderer:

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,7239.msg72014.html#msg72014

Good Luck

BTW: This should be moved to General Discussion

« Last Edit: 2016-03-24, 11:49:24 by Frood »
Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2016-03-27, 11:21:58
Reply #6

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
is this for real???

or am I wrong?

Personally, I have to agree. I think the option of having even the most basic form of bucket mode is welcome. It probably comes down to an individual's workflow but I when I need fast and precise results I usually region render a certain part of the scene with bucket mode. Sometimes I know exactly when a material is off when one bucket completes and I can just cancel everything and do the adjustments.

Now, with potentially having to use the progressive renderer for that, I might have to do a lot more region render adjustments, especially if I am after quick snippets that look very close to the final result (in terms of having a low amount of noise).

I mean yeah, it depends on person to person but the bucket mode still seems to have a purpose - to me at least.

Just putting it out there guys :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2016-03-27, 13:12:49
Reply #7

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
is this for real???

or am I wrong?

Personally, I have to agree. I think the option of having even the most basic form of bucket mode is welcome. It probably comes down to an individual's workflow but I when I need fast and precise results I usually region render a certain part of the scene with bucket mode. Sometimes I know exactly when a material is off when one bucket completes and I can just cancel everything and do the adjustments.

Now, with potentially having to use the progressive renderer for that, I might have to do a lot more region render adjustments, especially if I am after quick snippets that look very close to the final result (in terms of having a low amount of noise).

I mean yeah, it depends on person to person but the bucket mode still seems to have a purpose - to me at least.

Just putting it out there guys :)

This does not make absolutely any sense at all. New adaptive progressive in 1.4 will be a bit faster than bucket rendering in any previous Corona version. With that in mind, if you make small region in a size of one bucket, then you will get your feedback no slower than with bucket rendering. If you make your region larger than one bucket, to see more area, it will still take exactly same amount of time to render that area with progressive.

2016-03-27, 15:24:44
Reply #8

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@Rawalanche,

I totally digg ya but let me try to rephrase my point in a different way so maybe you'll understand what I am talking about.

Say for example, you are rendering a frosted glass region which takes a lot of  render power to get to acceptable passes. With the option of having the bucket mode I can set the number of samples to (about)50 and let it start rendering through the region. After 2 buckets I'll probably see  if my reflection color, glossiness and all of that basic stuff is good and set. At that point I can cancel it and either fix it or switch to the full progressive mode.

If I want to see a larger portion of the region I'll just let it render to about 50% of that render region. By that time I'll have a clearer idea if my material is gonna work or not. If not, I can render it in its entirety and switch to the progressive renderer the next time I want to see a preview.

On the other hand, if I did a progressive render region I'd need to wait a lot more just to have an idea of how my glossiness is working (for example, right?). That, or set two different regions.

Yeah, rendering the whole render region with adaptivity + denoising would be faster but sometimes you don't need that. And if you do realize you need it, you can let the buckets finish and then for the preview you switch to the progressive renderer.

You can also take into account how buckets can be helpful at 5k and super precise displacement, meaning I can quickly see the end result of one bucket and the ability of having the option to let it continue rendering through the whole region without canceling the entire render just to re-set the render region and the render engine calculate all of that displacement again.

I'm just saying, some of us are apparently used to working like that. For some perception comes into play as well (seeing the final image without the progressive passes)... I mean, to each his own really. Personally, I really like both modes :)

I guess it is harder to explain that I thought, ha!
« Last Edit: 2016-03-27, 15:36:18 by nkilar »

2016-03-28, 11:00:41
Reply #9

guest_guest

Ondra about bucket renderer:

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,7239.msg72014.html#msg72014

Good Luck

BTW: This should be moved to General Discussion

i hope to see Bucket feature in 1.4 , means that the power of bucket adaptive + adaptive feature of 1.4 + denoiser !!

2016-03-28, 11:39:26
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
It does not work like this, you cannot "add" two adaptivity solutions to get twice as fast solution. The bucket renderer and bucket adaptivity is gone and not coming back.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-03-28, 12:18:19
Reply #11

guest_guest

It does not work like this, you cannot "add" two adaptivity solutions to get twice as fast solution. The bucket renderer and bucket adaptivity is gone and not coming back.

OK!! Ondra killed this topic !!! :D :))

2016-03-28, 19:55:45
Reply #12

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I totally digg ya but let me try to rephrase my point in a different way so maybe you'll understand what I am talking about.

I still didn't get from your explanation the advantage of bucket mode.

Almost sounded like: If I render with progressive mode I need to wait 10 seconds until the render region clears out, but if I render with the bucket, I need to wait 10 seconds until the render region in the bucket clears out. So it's better.
Because 10 seconds are faster than 10 seconds. Or something :)

sounds almost like superstition :)
A similar case like this was some years ago on Steinberg forum. They changed the skin and UI colors for Cubase (audio multitrack app). And even though the engineers and programers themselves told the users the audio engine is the same, the users there contradicted themselves for days that the new version sounds better, others said no it sounds worse.. and so on)

2016-03-28, 20:42:15
Reply #13

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
this brings back warm memories from Alpha when the UI was not as polished as today... I remember threads where people were searching for (and found) optimal settings for parameters that were not internally connected to anything :D
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-03-28, 22:11:27
Reply #14

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@sebastian___

Well its useful to me even though I can't explain it (hah!). It works for me and apparently it does so for a few other people too :) No worries though ;)