Author Topic: Juraj's Renderings thread  (Read 486956 times)

2016-02-03, 17:15:09
Reply #390

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I just checked VFB+, these are my first steps so maybe I don't understand something, but I can see that:
-it seems that .exrs save and load into PS fine if you go to VFB+ settings and switch file output gamma to "Use 3dsmax output gamma" - then save .exr using the "save image" icon
-I was unable to load the image with correct gamma into PS using the "Send to Photosop" button
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-02-03, 18:02:15
Reply #391

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Agree to both observations :- ).

But now try to import the .exr back into VFB+ from outside. VFB+ reads Corona input directly without the need for gamma compensation (sRGB button), but it requires it if you re-import it back.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-02-03, 18:42:51
Reply #392

momoslav

• Active Users
    • View Profile
With little time, we had to create Bonaldo Tufty-time sofa in cloth finish. It's kind of hard, even for Marvelous, but I am quite happy with result like this. Courtesy to Veronika

Already playing with Alpha5. Funny my scene didn't render correctly, so I opted for merging into new scene, and than it rendered correctly again. Filtering Yes or No still cause me some confusion, so at the moment, all maps are unfiltered at 0.1 except for bump which is filtered at 0.1 on summed area.

I guess also bidirectional isn't suitable for this type of scene ? It seems impressively noisy compared to simple path tracing, so I guess it benefits only for much complicated lightning ? Little light sources and caustics,etc.

Still incredibly happy for this renderer.

EDIT:

Final version :

Hi Juraj, first your work is highly inspirational. I have problems with HDRi, can you tell me, how is your setting for it in this scene
(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3665/9837915804_effd7953e1_o.jpg)? Is it in vray hdri map and what type of color space did you use. Thanks

2016-02-03, 18:54:40
Reply #393

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
What kind of color-space are you talking about ? I exported the image from Corona using their default highlight compression (Reinhard) at 8 I think. Properly exposed.

Then I rised midtones (lights, but not highlights) in post-production, using curves.

The HDRi was pure Black&White with soft direction light. I adjusted the softness by blurring the HDRi and the strength of it by gamma (higher gamma, less contrast between ambient and direct light).

Lastly, I added grey lower hemisphere (where HDRi usually are black), so that light can also come from ground, just like in reality. This was imho easier solution than making giant plane outside.

The HDRi itself doesn't matter, because in the end, it was just 360px blurred with little bit of white for sun, a mostly grey for Sky and less grey for ground. There might be picture of it here somewhere.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-02-03, 19:43:42
Reply #394

momoslav

• Active Users
    • View Profile
 I mean srgb or inverse gama. Btw my first viz in corona is based mostly on your advices on forum :)

2016-02-03, 19:48:08
Reply #395

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Default, which is inverse gamma. sRGB is for when VrayHDRi is used for general bitmaps with gamma 2.2 (sRGB space). Over time it has evolved as general bitmap loader for Vray, just the name stayed :- )

2016-02-03, 19:50:52
Reply #396

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I ended up finding just the same!

I've been busy today, but if i recall correctly... Tonemapping and LUT options didn't translate equally to Photoshop after saving. Anyone experienced this?

I just checked VFB+, these are my first steps so maybe I don't understand something, but I can see that:
-it seems that .exrs save and load into PS fine if you go to VFB+ settings and switch file output gamma to "Use 3dsmax output gamma" - then save .exr using the "save image" icon
-I was unable to load the image with correct gamma into PS using the "Send to Photosop" button

2016-02-03, 21:22:05
Reply #397

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes I did, when I managed correctly to save .Exr, tonemapping and LUT looked differently. Not sure if this is mistake though, I don't think linear file can keep such attributes correctly. Even Vray drops the LUT when saved, it's only for preview. Corona solves this by clamping (for example when using contrast parameter and still saving as linear exr).

Everything looks correct if I use gamma 2.2 files. Which fits me since that is what I do mostly these days to speed up my workflow, but there is issue with linear files and how they're handled.

2016-02-03, 21:37:06
Reply #398

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I got one of dubcats photographic LUT profiles and applied it in VfB+, i couldn't relieve how well it looked..! Unfortunately, I tried to replicate the same result with one of the exported EXRs in photoshop and the result was not as good....I have no idea why, but ill keep experimenting :)

2016-02-03, 22:06:37
Reply #399

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The LUT simply pushes midtones up :- ) Very basic operation.

2016-02-03, 23:26:07
Reply #400

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just that?!? (now i feel so dumb!) :D

Perhaps I did it in combination with Filmic tonemapping, and that's the reason of my awe...! To my eye, the resulting image had some "creaminess" on the highlights and bolder shadows, basically what I'm used to have photographically. It's quite nice to have such a fast feedback directly while rendering.

I just wish the EXR + filters export (LUT and Tonemapping mainly) gets fixed, and DOF is better implemented (been getting some strange halos). In any case, a great plugin!

2016-02-03, 23:50:34
Reply #401

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The DOF is indeed little bit strange acting. I also noticed the Halos at low thresholds (the ones you use for narrow lenses in Architectural photography), occasionally. But for shallow DOF it works perfectly. It's indeed like Frischluft, just better, if it didn't have this quirk.

Could have been the Filmic, it's much better at keeping local highlights without flattening everything to earth (like Reinhard very quickly does), and it also retains proper saturation. Reinhard instantly desaturates highlights to point that Sun doesn't even look like Sun.

Generally, with the discussion in how should the new Corona framebuffer be....I have no answer. VFB+ is exactly what I want, I do not want a poor copy of it, reinventing the wheel again. Vray 3.3 which looks almost identical proves this concept. Small, collapsable, with lot of tools that you can switch on and off.

2016-02-04, 00:00:34
Reply #402

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'll pray to the CoronaGods tonight so they hear your words of wisdom ;)

I hate Reinhard too, but it's the only thing I've been able to get decent results with in ArionFX (Global Reinhard 02). The easy peasy Filmic in VFB+ is way better!

I tend to use large DOF in my renders because of my clients, they always want everything sharp (i think we talked about it on your facebook long ago). That's when the halos show up, i can't barely go past 0,01 or 0,02 (and can't dial 0,015!)  for shallow DOF it works fine, and it's quite fast

2016-02-04, 00:04:07
Reply #403

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
i can't barely go past 0,01 or 0,02 (and can't dial 0,015!)

The first day I started using VFB+ I sent email to author about these two issues :- )  Halo at low values, and the fact that even the smallest value 0.01 is not exactly small. Not in the narrow sense that wide lense would produce. Still pretty blurry for archviz stuff.
Never got a reply but I hope he eventually find some time to look into it. It's really great product, I really hope it has some user-base.

2016-02-04, 00:09:35
Reply #404

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I wrote to him this morning regarding something else and he replied quickly. Let's hope he's reading around here and taking notes.. ;)

At 19€ i bet he's going to get a good user-base with such a good product!