Author Topic: Juraj's Renderings thread  (Read 487105 times)

2017-08-31, 10:30:14
Reply #555

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Back from travelling, but just briefly, but enough to get to read the turmulous forum :- ).

Hi Aldola, I will ask my brother, he's the one who does technical stuff for me, but it was fairly easy, it seems even the examples on their web have it.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-09-11, 21:30:49
Reply #556

fabio81

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Feeling slow lately. Some darker mood wip from current commercial project :- ) Attached in mid-res.

hi Juraj!
I just saw your complete work on behance! very very nice, congratulations! can i ask you how do you keep the same mood for all the images? I like the atmosphere and the color of light. Did you use some particular LUT? or is it the kelvin temperature of the illuminating bodies?
thanks a lot and compliments still :)

2017-09-11, 21:42:22
Reply #557

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
You know I sometimes ask this question as well, because I am very worried about it during the creation of the project :- ).

Sometimes it's almost accident. Esp. for this project, it's 50perc. accident, 50 by design. Few notes:

-This particular project has strong color palette that is across every single room, medium tone beige paints, and dark warm woods. It's actually hard to work with it because these architects use beige and warm tones a lot and in order for them to stand out some cold contrast has to be introduced, otherwise you couldn't even tell it's beige as it would look flat.
-Thus I used a very simple lighting, in fact, for most of these spaces it's not even Sun&Sky, it's pure white color ! Well, little bit color white color ( 7000+ K Celvin, or even more?) to contrast with the warm artificial light (traditional 3600K fixtures). The white light doesn't need to be strongly white-balanced against, so it preserves the natural tones of the materials, saturating them in blacks, and desaturating them in highlights (where those warm paints end up looking almost white). Superbright highlights in windows can then be lightly painted blue.
-If some space has lot more windows, that would cause the room to look different (less directional light, so overall brighter) I add light blockers, like black wall behind the camera to stop the light from bouncing too much. This can keep different rooms (Bedroom with big windows and bathroom with single small window) looking more similar.

-Most important, post-production. I always check them back-to-back to make sure I didn't make one of them look wildly different, adding a lot more contrast or vibrance that others don't have.

But in the end, a little bit of luck perhaps helps :- )

Oh man, those images are from mid March, the project was finished in April. It sat on my hardrive for so long...
If anyone wonders why that kitchen image ended up flipped, is because the room arangement changed, but there wasn't time to do much about it, so we just moved the walls a bit and mirrored the image :- ) Client's suggestion !
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2017-09-11, 22:02:37
Reply #558

fabio81

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yes, these two pictures I had seen many months ago but today on your facebook page I saw the post with the complete project! I loved the light and the same mood for all images and I thought of some particular LUT.
thank you so much! :)

2017-09-11, 22:20:46
Reply #559

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
yes, these two pictures I had seen many months ago but today on your facebook page I saw the post with the complete project! I loved the light and the same mood for all images and I thought of some particular LUT.
thank you so much! :)

The LUTs are pretty nice magic, in that they give you good base level with one-click but they don't somehow enhance a similar look. But I will post the whole post-pro break-down :- ). You can use Dubcat's LUT for strong contrast and go from there. The one I use is pretty much like that, it doesn't affect the colors too much as I don't want white-balance to be affected.
The LUT in my case just provides a solid s-curve.

2017-09-11, 22:25:26
Reply #560

fabio81

• Active Users
    • View Profile
you are great ! I will wait in future to see the post-production tutorial, I'm curious :). now I'm search the dubcut LUT!
Thanks again!

2017-09-11, 22:26:05
Reply #561

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
you are great ! I will wait in future to see the post-production tutorial, I'm curious :). now I'm search the dubcut LUT!
Thanks again!

It's included in installation :- ) It's called photographic, there are 3 of them.

2017-09-11, 22:29:32
Reply #562

fabio81

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ah is true !! I always use the Ground control punch1 LUT,  that looked like it but less colors

2017-09-11, 23:08:27
Reply #563

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Beautiful work, Juraj :- )

Love the exterior shots too. I think what l like most is always the lighting and the way it illuminates the space and accentuates the materials. It kinda tells it's own story if that makes any sense. From the natural light and the electrical lighting, it really very immersive. Great work, mate.

2017-09-12, 00:01:07
Reply #564

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Love the exterior shots too. I think what l like most is always the lighting and the way it illuminates the space and accentuates the materials. It kinda tells it's own story if that makes any sense. From the natural light and the electrical lighting, it really very immersive. Great work, mate.

Yeah, the one thing I love about rendering (but also about cameras) is how they show you light differently.

Our eyes are so perfect at adaptation (or tonemapping) that we often don't notice the whole extent of how light behaves. In perfect bright light outside, the difference is almost none, but in low-light condition, at night or in closed interiors, you really see how the light travels. The camera (or virtual 3D camera) suddenly becomes superior and I marvel to what it can do. The light feels so much more directional, sculpted.

I am still the same surprised when I hit button and see what happens as I was 5 years ago doing first renders with MentalRay and the pixelized GI computation suddenly revealed the space illumination as the click of camera does.

Got bit sidetracked lol but I do enjoy this part so much.

2017-09-12, 08:45:29
Reply #565

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media

Yeah, the one thing I love about rendering (but also about cameras) is how they show you light differently.

Our eyes are so perfect at adaptation (or tonemapping) that we often don't notice the whole extent of how light behaves. In perfect bright light outside, the difference is almost none, but in low-light condition, at night or in closed interiors, you really see how the light travels. The camera (or virtual 3D camera) suddenly becomes superior and I marvel to what it can do. The light feels so much more directional, sculpted.

I am still the same surprised when I hit button and see what happens as I was 5 years ago doing first renders with MentalRay and the pixelized GI computation suddenly revealed the space illumination as the click of camera does.

Very very true, unfortunately, as great as the images are (and they really are awesome) too many clients would tell you that is too dark, it doesn't give the space a good bright feel etc etc, you know the drill.
I often that it's the old struggle between art and effective (or thought to be effective) marketing material. 

Anyway, random side rant is over :P keep up the great work dude

2017-09-12, 11:47:15
Reply #566

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Very very true, unfortunately, as great as the images are (and they really are awesome) too many clients would tell you that is too dark, it doesn't give the space a good bright feel etc etc, you know the drill.
I often that it's the old struggle between art and effective (or thought to be effective) marketing material. 

Anyway, random side rant is over :P keep up the great work dude

Our work with clients is definitely not walk in flowers and over the years, some moments are funny, some little bit dramatic :- ). It's all about the dialogue and learning to understand each other and educating constantly.
It can be frustrating at some times but considering their arguments while still fighting for your creative vision can lead to satisfying compromise.

It's never going to be 100perc. ultimate freedom like in personal projects and often that's good thing.

We definitely battle over the colors, materials definition, shadows and bright parts,etc.. but definitely come to some sort of agreement in the end. It takes me tremendous time and effort to take the critique&feedback into consideration and make the best out of it. That's the hardest and longest part of the project, it's pretty much what we price our work on, as it's much stronger influence that number for images let's say.

But of course, having the right enlightened client is greatest boon. And if you only present yourself with the type of work you want to do, those clients will come.

2017-09-12, 12:36:30
Reply #567

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo

Very true indeed. Can't wait to see the next work you do. Congrats mate :- )

2017-11-21, 15:36:31
Reply #568

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Few updates :- ).

I am finishing up massive article about image creation approach. A rather untypical 'tutorial' it should be published by end of week I hope :- ).

And..

We've launched teaser for a new service we've been working on tremendously for past many months. Thousands of miles, thousands of photos, in-house research it's something we love to do and if you're curious I invite to check the teaser out and maybe subscribe if you're interested :- ).

https://www.lysfaere.com/

2017-11-21, 16:41:59
Reply #569

karnak

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the hype 🙂.
I don't know what is going on, but the teaser looks beautiful.
Corona Academy (May 2017)