Author Topic: Juraj's Renderings thread  (Read 496969 times)

2024-04-10, 17:11:42
Reply #720

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Great as always Juraj!
What's your workload on the rugs/carpets if I may ask? Each single one of them is looking very convincing.
Hair&Fur for hairy ones or Ornatrix? High wuality displacement map + nice shader setup for short hair type?
Cheers!

Hi,

3 carpets :- ):

1) Black interior: Disp + Sheen + Slight AI overlay
2) "Children's" Messy room: Corona Scatter with B&W Map for rotation only (zero AI)
3) Big Classical room/Main image: Native Max Hair system + CoronaFur shader with Triplanared (or Real-Worlded in z-axis? Not sure which I used, but it's the same in the end) color map. (zero AI)

The best solution is the Corona Scatter, but that requires patience for modelling the right kind of strand which I only had once. I've seen few studios in past two years going strong in this direction, but patience in commercial projects is limited :- ).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2024-04-10, 18:57:29
Reply #721

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Man that's some impressive work, I wouldn't know how to do some of the materials displayed there. Insanely good and beautiful.

2024-04-11, 02:44:29
Reply #722

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very impressive work as usual Juraj, thanks for sharing.

Here is a great rug tutorial by Pikcells:

If I may offer a critique, on the rendering with the woman walking with the coffee cup, I feel like the background is a bit underexposed (the curtain seems brighter than the outside). Apart from that ... perfect job :)

As always, I have great admiration for your glows on the windows. I'm eagerly waiting for Corona to one day produce glows as realistic as yours. Your glows remind me a lot of those by Bertrand Benoit or Jesus Selvera. I imagine you create them in post-production in 32 bits using software like ArionFX?

2024-04-11, 08:16:23
Reply #723

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Nope, I paint most of them with manual brush in PS :- ) No 32bit post-production for me. The underexposed background was also artistic intent, I don't really care much about realism now that all images look fairly realistic by default. When the background is meant to be unobtrusive, I overexpose it heavily to almost white for clients who want to only focus on interior furniture. Oppositely, like here, if the mood is important, it's under-exposed.
But.. it's not done super-well, like I could have spent more time perhaps on it but I liked it enough to keep it with all its imperfections.

Yup, the fluffy carpet in grand white room is based on that Pikcells one!
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2024-04-11, 08:28:30
Reply #724

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your comments Juraj. About the background, I've opened your render in PS, turned it into B&W and checked the exposure levels with the eyedropper: I was wrong actually, the exposure levels are correct, my bad. It's funny how it looked underexposed to me when looking at the original render, but it looks correct when turning the render into B&W. For some reason the colours tricked my eyes :-)
I totally get what you say about keeping the imperfections of the images, it makes sense when you work under pressure (it's hard to find imperfections in your images Juraj!)

2024-04-11, 08:37:14
Reply #725

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I hope no one will laugh at me, but I keep coming back to this as inspirations: https://cdn.profoto.com/cdn/05219b3/contentassets/ca88cb91c4274a8d8dfc428c204fb963/002profoto-b1-phaseone-richard-thompson-02_cf003440-600x450.jpg?width=2840&quality=75&format=jpg
(Full photoshoot can be found somewhere on PhaseOne page).

I originally disliked the set esp. how unrealistic they were, they were over-retouched. But then the photographer posted defense of it being intentional as sort of painterly style and I started looking at it more until I eventually liked it.
It's not like I succeeded in making my rendering painterly, that's hardly close to my style, but when it veers little bit into that direction.

So I do a bit heavier retouch sometimes, and it's very manual. Old-school dodge& burn to highlight some edges and shapes. The images become little bit uncanny, but also little bit more impactful.
Constant balancing of trade-offs, but I want them to stand out.