Author Topic: corona AO vs Vray Dirt  (Read 501 times)

2023-05-25, 09:28:41

mienda

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, would it be possible, in the near future, to improve the "corona AO" a little like the "Vray Dirt" because the "Vray dirt" offers many more very useful options. For example in this tutorial, Jonas Noell proposes a method to make a foam material with AO Vray parameters that are difficult to reproduce with corona AO.
Corona Ao is much less flexible and configurable than Vray Dirt and this can complicate the task sometimes ... I'm sure some of you know how to recreate this type of material but my tests with corona AO were not at all conclusive .... On your side how would you achieve this type of effect with corona AO as effectively as with Vray Dirt?

Thank you in advance

2023-05-25, 14:16:30
Reply #1

mienda

• Active Users
    • View Profile
To illustrate my difficulties in arriving at the results of the video, see the differences in settings between the Vray Dirt and the corona AO. There are a lot less options and it's hard to get the same kind of results, that's why I wonder if it wouldn't be very useful to develop a real corona dirt shader à la Vray dirt.

2023-05-25, 14:37:41
Reply #2

RecentSpacesSam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, can you elaborate a little more on what issues you're having with replicating this in Corona?

This video doesn't really show anything that you "can't" do with Corona.
The only exception would be reducing the amount that maps affect the radius, but you could easily put a corona colour correct node between the noise map and the Corona AO to reduce the contrast of the map.

2023-05-26, 08:40:04
Reply #3

mienda

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hank you for your reply.
To go into details, I realized that it was very difficult or even impossible to use the corona AO as a mask in a corona layered material. In Jonas Noell's video, this one uses very effectively a vray dirt as a mask in a VrayBlend material (see screenshot). I tried to push the contrasts and values of the corona AO with color correction but I couldn't achieve the same efficiency. I wonder if using a corona AO as a mask really works with corona...so far I haven't succeeded.. if some of you have already encountered this kind of difficulty and managed to get around it I am a taker!
Thank's

2023-05-26, 11:45:59
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Corona AO works perfectly well as a mask in Corona layered material, i use this combo all the time, but in your particular example i would consider using Corona distance as a mask for wetness and/or foam. That setup makes more sense to me.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-05-26, 15:14:01
Reply #5

RecentSpacesSam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Similarly to Romullus, I use CoronaAO in a Corona Layered Material quite often.

Can you upload a screenshot of your material setup and a render of it not working?