Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 526812 times)

2023-04-20, 19:39:08
Reply #1441

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
QVL lists are very limited and never updated. And often with mainly US brands. 90perc. of stuff on QVL list can't even be bought in Europe.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2023-08-14, 20:41:44
Reply #1442

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, I had to transport my one 3990x system with a SilverStone IceGem 360 AIO on a 11hr drive.  Once I got where I was and hooked up the system, the computer would just randomly turn off. No warning, beep, or anything.... just completely power off.  It seemed that it would happen the most during CPU rendering so I checked temps with HWinfo.  Well they look terrible! Not sure if the drive loosened up the CPU cooler or it just went bad.  But have a look at the old temps vs the new.

2023-08-14, 21:07:34
Reply #1443

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Update,  AIO was definitely loose surprisingly.  I tighten them down hard when I install. Tightened it all back down again, ran again and the temps are just as bad.  Ordering a replacement SilverStone IceGem 360 right now.

2023-08-16, 10:12:59
Reply #1444

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Useful info, sorry for your bad experience but thank you for sharing!
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2023-08-17, 14:40:46
Reply #1445

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Ehm... Hope them wallets are ready!

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-threadripper-7995wx-96-core-cpu-leaks-out-boosts-up-to-5-14-ghz

If this "leak" turns out to be true then yes this thing will probably be abhorrently expensive, making the 3995wx and 5995wx look cheap but dang its 96 cores and if that 5.1ghz single core boost is true... It might actually be super competitive with the consumer chips. Not that the 5995wx wasn't, 4.5ghz on Zen 3 is quite nice.

Now only if there were an HEDT version of this thing... :)

2023-08-17, 15:33:46
Reply #1446

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I don't think single-boost frequency was ever an issue, more like always being one node behind to consumer chips.

Not very happy seeing it's once again PRO-tier only, but I guess that's how the market crystallized, the wave of affordable prosumer chips being over for good : /.

It's nice to see the nominal stock draw boosted to 350W, it was much needed to get the most out of these chips and not starving the IO.
Very interested in the 7945WX, it could actually finally be the 48-core, which would be amazing sweet spot with 350W. And perhaps even reasonable price.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2023-08-17, 17:38:48
Reply #1447

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hmm I typically I find the single core boost to be a good indicator that the all-core boost won't be bad either which I quite like for all the low threaded tasks one might encounter. I most certainly wouldn't mind, ha :)

There were quite a few leaks about an HEDT platform as well. That one would presumably be on SP6 (the smaller socket) whereas the PRO stuff was supposed to live on the Genoa SP5-ish socket.

The difference would be, as usual, in PCI-E lanes and memory channels plus additionally the HEDT lineup could stop at 64 cores.

That however is a little turned on its head now that it is suspected that we'll be getting 96 cores in PRO edition on the SP6 socket. Could also be that the Threadripper SP6 socket variant will be different than the server one I guess?
To me what lends credibility to having an HEDT lineup again (besides the leaks) is that statement from somebody at AMD (forgot where I read it) that said the TR lineup will also take into the account that not everyone wants a top spec chip - implying there might be an HEDT lineup as well.

I guess only time will tell. The tech looks great, the prices ... We'll see. Not getting my hopes up too much :))

2023-08-17, 18:35:34
Reply #1448

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I was hoping we would see below options for new generations. Things are moving so slowly with CPU's, almost 4 years later from the original 64 core just to double the performance... Ugh... Meanwhile GPU's

Non-Pro - 96 core

Pro - 128 Core

2023-08-17, 22:23:51
Reply #1449

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I was hoping we would see below options for new generations. Things are moving so slowly with CPU's, almost 4 years later from the original 64 core just to double the performance... Ugh... Meanwhile GPU's

Well, that's like CPU development in general :- ) 3xxx Threadrippers were rather breakthrough, one of those must-buy generations that come time from time.

I am not really bothered by this anymore, even if single-core performance in CPUs got multiplied by two, it would still not make Windows experience smooth & fluent, majority of fault still lies with software. How tremendously fast are SSDs now? And how long does it take to load resources by 3ds Max (scene opening, assets loading, etc..).
And how on earth is Photoshop slower and choppier with each new version? And on much faster PCs.

In 2010, I bought first public alpha version of Octane, and ran it on my young brother's gaming PC with whatnot GPU at that time from nVidia (GTX 480?) with some pathetic amount of VRAM.
And it was fucking miraculous, that interactive speed, it was wow-moment :- ).
I never had that again. Corona was miracle compared to Vray, but that is because it didn't produce horrible artifacts from Irradiance Cache and was easy and smooth to use. No performance miracle, just quality user experience.

The whole CPU rendering would be dead-end if market reality wasn't that there isn't actually a reasonable alternative since it's tiny market (archviz) within tiny market (CGI&VFX in general). There is nothing like Corona, simple, fully featured and fully integrated, all three aspects. Vray is featured and integrated, but still complex and is more like flavor sidegrade at this time, FStorm was simple and mostly fully featured but weirdly integrated and would never have full company support with 20+ devs behind like Corona.
For the kind of commercial high-quality jobs I do with Corona, I can only do them with Corona. So having fast and high-core CPU is necessary. But,.. that really doesn't excite me to open my wallet. On level of excitement, it is like 2 on scale from 0 to 10.

I have no idea what I even tried to say, sorry :- D. Just Friday (I know it's Thursday) ranting. I am just more exited by my laptops (when they're not blue-screening, haha Windows oh what a joy...) then more cores.

2023-10-19, 17:09:24
Reply #1450

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
So... New Threadrippers just got officially announced.

A couple of random links to videos and articles:
AMD promo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF6QbE9rFkM
Level1Tech - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ll6bXzlHvU&t=472s
Gamers Nexus - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUqWE9HJ83I&t=31s
Paul's Hardware - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgUee00qXIY

If I may offer a TLDR version...

There are now PRO and Non-PRO (aka HEDT) Threadrippers.

PRO versions have more PCI-E lanes and go up to 96 cores / 192 threads.
Non-PRO have fewer PCI.E lanes and go up to 64 cores / 128 threads.

There are two platforms again. sTRX5 for HEDTs and WRX90 for PROs.
One thing to note here is that sTRX5 can host PRO CPUs as well as HEDT ones although PRO CPUs obviously won't be able to utilize all the lanes and such.

Pricing wise the HEDT parts all have prices to them already, there is no word on the PRO stuff though.
In particular the 24 core part seems quite well priced compared to even the venerable 3960x from the Zen 2 generation. The 64 core HEDT part is also cheaper than the current 5995wx 64 core. Obviously you are still paying a premium for more cores and something like the 7950x is still the performance / budget option where you don't over pay for extra cores - much like the Intel 13900k. Still, it could have been worse?

Also, Intel is planning a Sapphire Rapids WS refresh. While a core count increase isn't expected (given the u-arch) these could be a nice alternative to AMD in the lower / mid segment of these HEDT and WS CPUs. Top end, aka 64 and 96 core performance is another thing though.

2023-10-20, 16:05:26
Reply #1451

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Solid amount of L3 Cache.

Well, finally some interesting things happening.

2023-10-21, 10:25:18
Reply #1452

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Indeed, I guess we needed Intel for AMD to do something :)

Maybe just to clarify my post there, TR5-SP6 is the socket for both PRO and HEDT parts. TRX50 is the chipset for HEDT and WRX90 is the chipset for PRO.
PRO TRs do work with TRX50 motherboards.

2023-11-25, 20:19:46
Reply #1453

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So... again.
« Last Edit: 2023-11-25, 20:34:35 by burnin »

2023-11-25, 23:07:17
Reply #1454

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Nejc - i thinkj we h ave the same machine (5995xw).  Are you thinking of upgrading?  id love to but what to do with the existing beast?

Indeed, I guess we needed Intel for AMD to do something :)

Maybe just to clarify my post there, TR5-SP6 is the socket for both PRO and HEDT parts. TRX50 is the chipset for HEDT and WRX90 is the chipset for PRO.
PRO TRs do work with TRX50 motherboards.