Author Topic: Stop and resume render with new Target Level?  (Read 737 times)

2023-12-06, 20:15:01

tennet

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Good Monday
Hi,

Is it possible to stop an ongoing render and change the 'Target Value' ('Noise Level' or 'passes') to a new value.. and then continue the same render from where it was? I know I can 'Resume' a render from the 'Corona VFB', but not if it is possible to change the Noise Target etc.

In my case I have a highres render going for 3 hours on a 56-core PC (glass and liquids with lots of refractions etc) and my selected 'Noise Level' is 2,5% (=super clean). The 'Estimated time remaining' for this is 22 hours (!).. I have now reached a "Noise level of 7%" in about 3 hours and I figure that my render should be clean enough at about a 5% Noise Level. So can I change this now, in the middle of my render, or do I need to manually 'Stop' my render when it has reached NL 5% and save my render passes manually?

Another thing.. if start a 'Render region' in some busy areas of the image and let it render until it looks clean (at whatever Noise Level it has reached).. Can I then trust that I can set the 'Target Noise Level' for the whole render to this value?

2023-12-06, 23:59:08
Reply #1

tennet

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Good Monday
I just found out that I can stop the render, make any changes to the 'Noise level Target' value and then 'Resume last'. Then it updates the Noise Level target for my ongoing render, just as I want.

2023-12-07, 09:23:48
Reply #2

John_Do

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Glad you found the solution by yourself.

You can even stop the render, save the image as a CXR file, shutdown your computer, and resume the render later by reloading the scene and the CXR file.
Note that while it's convenient you can't modify the scene in between, or rather you can but you'll get artifacts coming from the modified elements in the image.

Regarding the render region I don't think it works that way, the noise variance is computed for the region so 2% in this case is not the same as 2% on the whole image. But I'm not perfectly sure though so it could be nice if a dev could confirm.