Author Topic: Cryptomatte on Mac  (Read 931 times)

2023-11-09, 23:51:48

Gerben

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi all, does anyone have a workflow that reads / extracts these on a Mac to a PSD file; or something that can be used in photoshop?
The Exr-IO plugin seems to do this, but that one doesn't work on a Mac. ProEXR works on Mac but does not extract the crypto's to usable B/W layers, at least not in Photoshop.

What I get from the chaos video on Cryptomatte's is that these take depth of field better into account than regular alpha's.

Thanks!

2023-11-10, 15:13:45
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Cryptomatte generates masks that account for blurring, either from DoF or Motion Blur, which is its advantage as you say.

Unfortunately it seems there is no option to open cryptomattes correctly in Photoshop on the Mac, from what I can see in threads like https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/mac-compatible-exr-plugin-for-photoshop/td-p/13565575 .

Are there other applications that handle EXRs better than Photoshop? Often times video editors do a better job of handling EXRs than Photoshop does, just in case that opens up some new avenue to explore.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2023-11-10, 16:05:31
Reply #2

Beanzvision

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Maybe opening the file with Chaos Player might work as an Photoshop workaround? I know it opens .EXR's. And also, I don't know a lot about working with cryptomattes so I probably should keep my nose out of it ;)
https://download.chaos.com/?platform=47&product=66

Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-11-10, 17:28:49
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
"Proper" compositing software like Nuke or Fusion should read cryptomatte well and allow you to export to other formats.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-11-10, 23:08:23
Reply #4

Gerben

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks all! After some goofing around I got it to work with the free version of Davinci Resolve with the Reactor plugin, as in Tom's tutorial on Cryptomatte's. Bit more clicking around than I hoped, but it works.

2023-11-13, 15:53:47
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Good to hear! Well, that you have a resolution that is - still a shame it takes more clicks due to there being no equivalent to something like EXR-IO on the Mac, though :(
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us