Author Topic: reduce noise ?????  (Read 10578 times)

2014-09-24, 20:41:29
Reply #15

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Good thing you didn't touch default settings. You have a golden star for that. ;)
You have a very small window. This is probably the case. Is it the only light source here? Are you using CoronaSky + CoronaSun? You should put a portal in your window. Just remember to put portals ideally in window hole (best), slightly outside the window hole (good), NOT inside the window hole (bad). Here are some more hints and I am attaching some pics how to put portals.
https://corona-renderer.com/wiki/performance_debugging
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-09-24, 21:39:16
Reply #16

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Actually, the "slightly outside the window" version is not good either, you will have a cleaner solution in areas where you hit the portal but the same noise level in areas where you don't hit the portal - so you'll have to wait more or less the same time until everything's clean.
Just align the portal perfectly in the hole and everything's fine. You can also use (singlesided!) glas windows as portal (the checkbox in the material) and you'll have glas + portal in one go.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2014-09-25, 01:36:37
Reply #17

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
So where do you guys put the portal in relation to the glass? single or double sided. behind the glass or in front of ?

2014-09-25, 10:24:04
Reply #18

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Actually, the "slightly outside the window" version is not good either, you will have a cleaner solution in areas where you hit the portal but the same noise level in areas where you don't hit the portal - so you'll have to wait more or less the same time until everything's clean.
Yup, that's why I wrote the prefect/good/bad marks. Maybe you are right it's not very good but from what Keymaster wrote it's a plausible method.

You can also use (singlesided!) glas windows as portal (the checkbox in the material) and you'll have glas + portal in one go.
Yes, but you usually put glass somewhere in the middle of a window hole and as far as I know you shouldn't use portals like this.

So where do you guys put the portal in relation to the glass? single or double sided. behind the glass or in front of ?
If you want to have a separate portal object and separate glass, you put the portal outside, like in my pictures. It should be a single plane with no thickness. Normals don't matter.
If you want to have one object which is a portal and a glass in one, then you should use a single plane with no thickness and give it a glass material with no refraction and with "is portal" checked in its material's advanced parameters. But it should also be placed like shown in my pictures (perfectly on the outside of the window hole, so it's not always possible depending on your project).

2014-09-29, 16:28:36
Reply #19

Bogs

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the responses guys. As soon as I figure out what a portal is and how to create one i'll do another test.

Cheers

Bogs

2014-09-29, 17:08:24
Reply #20

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Just add a plane and give it a portal material...