Author Topic: DUAL XEON Vs small render farm node  (Read 15239 times)

2014-11-14, 10:26:17

zacuttialberto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I'm ready to renew my workstation and now there is the big question:

Make a work station multifunctional (modeling & rendering station) or make a Modeling workstation supported by a 3/4 machine mini ITX with 2011-v3 i7 proc?

The main thing that i don't know exactly (i never use this kind of solution) is if it's possible to see the result on going like in a rendering workstation or i have to wait the end of the rendering process and then see the result through saved picture managed by backburner?
Will be working the interactive rendering or it will use only the CPU of the modeling workstation.

Any comment or suggest are appreciated.

Best Regards

Alberto

2014-11-14, 16:26:42
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Make a work station multifunctional (modeling & rendering station)?

Yes. Get the best for your money, don't waste single box.

a 3/4 machine mini ITX with 2011-v3 i7 proc?

There is no LG2011 Mini-ITX board, the socket itself is too large to make that possible.

Other questions:

Yes, you can watch progress done using distributed rendering or Backburner (or combination, Backburner using distributed), no need to wait for finish.

this because one my option was to set up a small workstation based on As Rock MB and install a 12 or 18 core XEON.

Single or Dual ? It's unclear and makes big difference ( in thread title you ask about Dual-Xeon, but in the topic you mentioned just single ? Maybe worth clarify.)

« Last Edit: 2014-11-14, 16:33:29 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-11-15, 15:53:39
Reply #2

zacuttialberto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm thinking to go for dual

Ciao

Alberto

2014-11-15, 16:12:32
Reply #3

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
Well, I think is the best if you buy an "Manufacturer refurbished" machine. All in one, like Juraj wrote.

But, for the modeling you have to thinking about the Quadro ! And it's deepend what you want...Laptop or desktop ?  Anyway, the best solution is, if you DON'T build your workstation.
If you want to use the Corona, than the GPU you need only for the modeling...For the rendering stronger CPU is the solution, and the DELL is the best !  The warranty for your workstation is only up to you and your budget... I thinking like this...And if you was an gamer...just forget it anything you learned about the motherboard and etc...Because that's an different world

Cheers!
Holy Corona : the materials is the clue.

2014-11-15, 17:53:26
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Well, I think is the best if you buy an "Manufacturer refurbished" machine.

But, for the modeling you have to thinking about the Quadro !

The DELL is the best !  The warranty for your workstation is only up to you and your budget

And if you was an gamer...just forget it anything you learned about the motherboard and etc...Because that's an different world

Please stop.

Why do you give advice on something you have no idea about ? Don't answer, it's rhetorical question.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2014-11-15, 17:59:59
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I'm thinking to go for dual

Ciao

Alberto

The choice in overall distribution between various i7 and 2p Xeon units depends on your overall budget/comfort preference and many other factors.

Comfort--) Less 'more powerful' machines = higher cost
Budget --) More 'less powerful' machines   = higher maintenance

Any details neccessary over each possible setup can be found here http://forums.cgarchitect.com/13-hardware-technical-discusions/
You just have to search and educate yourself.

2014-11-16, 11:34:17
Reply #6

3dgraphics

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hello Juray,

do you have some idea about the speed difference between one i7 980x extreme edition and one i7 4930k, more or less?

2014-11-16, 12:14:21
Reply #7

Stan_But

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/archdizs
do you have some idea about the speed difference between one i7 980x extreme edition and one i7 4930k, more or less?

i7 4930k is faster than i7 980x extreme and better for OC

2014-11-16, 12:47:23
Reply #8

3dgraphics

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok thanks for the answer! You mean is the price for a new CPU a good buy in regarding of speed difference? I mean it is much faster?

2014-11-16, 12:59:21
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
hello Juray,

30perc. more powerful more or less, I would say both in singlethreade and multithreaded, all due to architecture only. 980X was a beast, and also six-core, so it's not as drastic difference for 3 architecture generations :- ) {Gultfown-->SandyBridge--->IvyBridge}
Contrary to to what Headoff said I would say they overclock almost the same, since IvyBridge(4930k) was not particularly good overclocker.

Are you asking if it's worth upgrade ? I would say not to 4930k. 980X is still sort of league of its own for rendering, so I would aim higher.

2014-11-16, 13:45:27
Reply #10

3dgraphics

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thakns a lot for the information Juray,

I see u are upgrading to the new i7 8 cores CPU, do u have some experience with this one, or references from users?

2014-11-16, 15:09:10
Reply #11

Stan_But

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/archdizs
Well, if we talk about upgrade, I agree that 4930k isn't a good idea. Then be better 5820K or even 5960X

2014-11-17, 21:18:00
Reply #12

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
Hey Juraj,

your right! I don't have any idea...I have  experience about what I wrote there... And I give JUST an advice for him. Am I wrong...?

Sorry My King ! :D

God bless you!

2014-11-17, 21:22:13
Reply #13

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hey Juraj,

your right! I don't have any idea...I have  experience about what I wrote there... And I give JUST an advice for him. Am I wrong...?

Sorry but yes :- )

2014-11-17, 21:33:22
Reply #14

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
Juraj,

Maybe your right, but could you say what I made any mistaken whit my experience? I just tried to give an advice for him. Maybe your is much wider than mine ?

I'm keeping silent and lisening for you. Make me smart.... :)

Keep rockin' !

2014-11-17, 22:07:18
Reply #15

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Juraj,

Maybe your right, but could you say what I made any mistaken whit my experience? I just tried to give an advice for him. Maybe your is much wider than mine ?

I'm keeping silent and lisening for you. Make me smart.... :)

Keep rockin' !

Sure.

Well, I think is the best if you buy an "Manufacturer refurbished" machine.

While there is possibility to score a perfect bargain, most often than not, you're just buying outdated machine by the time you can get it. This can still be "ok" solution to gather farm gear, but not for workstation which far more rely on current performance.
Not to say those Branded units aren't built to be particulary excellent either, featuring most commonly lower motherboard, stock coolers, thus being hot and loud, offer limited expandability, etc.
,etc

But, for the modeling you have to thinking about the Quadro !

Almost none current CGI software support Quadro drivers or get any benefit from them at all. Even CAD no longer benefit from them much, most of them being bottlenecked by CPU far more than they can benefit from "pro-grade" GPUs.
Pro cards like Quadro and FirePro offer additional features such as Double floating point precision for precise scientific calculations (NOT Gpu rendering), 14Bit LUT support very extreme color management, additional memory to benefit large files (ie. GPU rendering),
and special drivers that improve anti-aliasing and wireframe handling in certain CAD applications (but the list is becoming narrower and narrowers in recent years).

The DELL is the best !  The warranty for your workstation is only up to you and your budget

Buying branded PC units is very convenient for big companies who don't have excessive IT department and require unified support with on-site repair possibility. None of these benefits apply much to enthousiast or professional user.

As a con, you overpay largely for these units (easily as much as twice ) and get poor components in their build. Funky and unorthodox cases might look unique but they're often subpar regarding later expansions, stock components are largely
comprised of OEM motherboards, stock cooles, and cheap fans and only average PSU units. This makes them louder and hotter over custom builds.

Most component sellers offer option to extent warranty up to 5 years as well, so this is moot point. Some manufacturers (like Asus) offer extended warranty by default (ranging from 3 to 5 years) at no additional cost.

And if you was an gamer...just forget it anything you learned about the motherboard and etc...Because that's an different world

There are little differences between enthousiast and professional motherboards these days. Most of it is just slight feature difference or cosmetic. It's the same high-end product for different user groups.

2014-11-17, 23:12:44
Reply #16

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
Well...Maybe I was a bit drunked...or not-- :D

I knows only two things...One is...With my "shit Dell" Precison M4700 and Quadro K2000M, I have an chance to flying with 15 million polygons like an bird in the HEAVEN.. :) That's true. Maybe this is nothing for you or anybody...BUT...more than enought for achieve what is my aim...Of cours not mentioned the details !

And the another one...I never dig in myself into the beside the point...I had dig into myself in the modeling and texturing. And trust me...If you try to cut out the time for the rendering...Than you must at least  to buy double, quadro, penta...kappa...omega   Xeon..But..Without the "CAD card " like the Quadro...Than you have a chance to lubricate on your hair...if you want modeling ! Maybe it's a bit expensive, but worth for the money. I beleive it ! And yeah...there is NO problem , if you don't have or you don't can't money to spend the most newest stuff... There is the refurbished models..I got mine with 3 years waranty, and If I want or  I have money, there I have an chance to buy more years...And the price is not like the new stuffs...The price is MORE mthan enought to get a machine for modeling..and the rendering....And... if I remember god...the original question was something like this...

And one more thing...If you have an experience like mine 29 years in in the computers and hardwears, than you MUST to know... The hardwear is ONLy ONE thing... The base is the programing..Like here. Like in the Corona. This is give you an good rersault without you spend to much  effort and money fort the newest shits.

I know..You have an really good experience and you spend lot of time to got your knowledge...But, I fell somethimes you goin' to high ! Right ?
It's not an problem ! It1S just an advice...

And if something not really clear...just "sorry for my english"... :)
Maybe I'm not" up to date...But..C'mon Juraj ! Anybody try to spend a less and less to achive the good resault...with Corona.

And I told him the " Best is the Dell"..Well it's not an juws thing..This is the simple true. If, he have an mony end want ro spend..There is the availibility to buy more than 5 years quarantee. Do you tell me anything better ?

Anyway..the point is the good life and your faith !  God bless you and give anything you like ! :)

2014-11-18, 00:19:54
Reply #17

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Well...Maybe I was a bit drunked...or not-- :D

Reads more like you are right now though.

..With my "shit Dell" Precison M4700 and Quadro K2000M..

This is subjective anecdote, it doesn't say anything how your system ABC compares to other XYZ systems. It has no value outside of the fact that you're satisfied with it. Some people are perfectly satisfied with old Pentium 4 (like my Grandmother), but.. ?

That's a good laptop though. I didn't say anything about Dell laptops, I use one as well. But about the cost and quality of branded workstation compared to custom build.

Without the "CAD card " like the Quadro...Than you have a chance to lubricate on your hair...if you want modeling !

This is not true at all. Based on current (non-synthetic) benchmarks in 3dsMax 2014+ and various CAD software (for example those done by Dimitris Tolios), there is no performance benefit from pro cards outside of improved anti-aliasing which is a drive feature.
The viewport engines of these softwares are far too primitive to use the resources well, are bottlenecked by CPU and in reality make almost no difference to whatever GPU you are currently using. My GTX770 has the same performance as my laptop integrated Intel 4000!

Previously, in former ( OpenGL) based viewports of Max <2011, there were special "performance drivers" provided that improved performance compared to regular mainstream gaming cards. That no longer applies, there are no specialized drivers anymore and DX-11 based viewport of 3dsMax and Maya 2014+ benefit no better from pro-cards than they do from consumer cards.

Unless you require following features I previously named (native 14bit 3DLut support, Double floating point precision, Higher amount of on-board memory), none of which improve viewport performance, then you're simply wasting your money.
There is no objective improvement in viewport speed navigation (and thus modeling).

This is again your subjective opinion, not based on actual data.

Here is sample benchmark from Maya2013 using the new Viewport 2.0 which is based on Direct-X 11 rendering, very similar to 3dsMax 2013+. I would also like to state, that Maya Viewport 2.0 is far better than 3dsMax's Nitrous, so the performance in 3dsMax doesn't scale with GPU's power much at all. 3dsMax doesn't care if you have 750Ti or 780Ti. It just doesn't.

As you can see, super cheap GTX750Ti  beats expensive K4000 Quadro..... so ?
Here is full article: http://pcfoo.com/specviewperf-12-gpu-scores/

(hint: Quadro and other pro-cards always loose)

. The hardwear is ONLy ONE thing... The base is the programing..Like here. Like in the Corona

I have no idea what you're trying to say in half of your post... but most of it doesn't have anything to do with this topic ;- )

« Last Edit: 2014-11-18, 00:38:03 by Juraj_Talcik »

2014-12-10, 01:53:15
Reply #18

artmaknev

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • about me
speaking of small renderfarms, maybe this will be of an interest:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,6156.0.html