Author Topic: Unreal Engine 4 for ArchViz - Thoughts?  (Read 292361 times)

2016-06-20, 16:16:07
Reply #270

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
You need, obivously, fast GPU for play the"game" in realtime with smooth FPS. But, also, a strong CPU (better Dual Xeon) for backing Lightmaps

2016-06-20, 16:17:03
Reply #271

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
what does unreal engine run on....is it cpu or gpu based? im thinking of building a new system for the sake of unreal engine and i have to make sure i get the best hardware put together. any particular specs ?

Anything with GTX 1080 and you're set for quite some time. Once real-time, it relies almost solely on GPU for the visual part.

Having strong CPU will let you run your 'bakes' (lighting..etc..) faster though.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-06-20, 18:28:58
Reply #272

yagi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
wow! the 1080 is almost 1000 dollars!... well, will have to buy it either ways. honestly, i dont know anything about xeon processors yet. i would like to know how much the setup that did 33 seconds on corona benchmark scene costs (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2696 v4 @ 2.20GHz (×2))...or at least the 2nd spec cos when i see the number of cores in that benchmark list i get confused!?...like what kind of processor(s) is that? i want one for my office!

2016-06-20, 18:40:32
Reply #273

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
well... you have my permission to buy that card, but please do not request Corona GPU afterwards just because you spent a shitton of money on GPU :D
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-06-20, 18:59:39
Reply #274

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The 1080s are much cheaper than that, around $600 to $700. The 1070s perform well too, and their price is around $450 (US dollars, these prices).

Probably something like $8,000 and up for the 2697 based systems in the top place, the processors alone are close to $3,000 or so each and those systems have 2 processors in them. Cores are as follows - a single Xeon 2697 (the second place ones on the benchmark)has 18 cores, the top systems on the benchmark have two of those processors in them (as Xeons can work together like that) which makes 36 physical cores, and each core can run two threads, making 72 logical cores (apologies if my terminology is a bit off!)

Hope this helps!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-06-20, 21:09:26
Reply #275

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The very top guy (Say) with the 2696v4, which is OEM (and probably also ES/QS ) version of 2699v4, the baddest of v4 line-up (with small exception of rare QS sample which has even 2 more cores...) probably didn't pay anything close to what Peter and Henry did for their machines which are around 10k euro mark.

1080 doesn't cost 1k... ignore the "founders edition/reference cooler" which cost a good hundred more (and has some issue too now). This card is more powerful than my Titan-X (although with 8 vs 12gb vram) and good 30perc. cheaper.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-06-20, 23:43:50
Reply #276

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
How important is VRAM amount in that UE/ArchViz game? I'm planning to replace my old video card and have very tigh budget, but i don't want that saved few euros would turn against me if i'd decide to try UE (or some other engine) in not so distant future. I'm thinking about GTX 950 2GB, but if that's way too low, i'd rather search for GTX 960 4GB.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-06-20, 23:51:39
Reply #277

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
A lot. By default UE4 has aggressive texture compression that allows you to get by on on <4GB cards, and low default resolution for light and reflection baked maps. But for clean archviz surfaces, it's vital to get rid of it and upp the resolutions and that you just hover instantly over it.

So 4GB is the least I would go for. Is the new AMD RX480 pushing the price limit too high as well ? It has ridiculous value/performance. If yes, then it's lower-end counterpart coming soon should be great option on budget as well.

2016-06-21, 20:01:11
Reply #278

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Thanks for advice Juraj! Did some search today and it's kind of hard to find something with 4GB VRAM and Nvidia logo on it, that would fit my budget. Might wait till july to see what rx460/470 will offer, although i'm not very exited to look into AMD camp :/

2016-06-21, 21:39:45
Reply #279

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I know, AMD just messed up too many times, but this looks like solid card for the price. GTX 1060 might still be rather above your budget.

2016-06-21, 23:01:42
Reply #280

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Let's hope so.

GTX 1060 might still be rather above your budget.

Most likely. Besides, it probably many months away from release anyway...

2016-06-22, 05:29:50
Reply #281

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Now using 1024x1024 reflection cubemaps and planar reflections. I think I've seen my gtx 980 94gb) crash a couple times, running out of memory :-)  I used displacement on terrain too.
Gonna have to start optimizing a little bit.

2016-07-08, 14:19:41
Reply #282

MgVrN

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i think corona to ue4 material converter would be sweet

2016-07-08, 19:17:33
Reply #283

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
well... you have my permission to buy that card, but please do not request Corona GPU afterwards just because you spent a shitton of money on GPU :D

Why not? I asked the same question in another thread but never got a response. I'm not arguing but curious whether things have changed since the inception of Corona. If the rumors of a Titan P next month is true (16GB with 6,000 cores) it would seem CPU would have a tough time keeping up at a reasonable cost? I mean, I will need a powerful GPU either way just to keep up with Unreal and VR, right? I need a new system shortly and these are tough decisions.

2016-07-08, 21:35:18
Reply #284

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yup, the 16GB Titan-P is going to be pretty revolutionary.

1 or 2 years, and Titan-Volta(or whatever) with 32GB of HMB memory, is going to absolutely kill CPU :- ). I am honestly surprised by this evolution. Mainstream 300 euro cards have 8GB of memory, glorious days.

You should buy the card nonetheless for Unreal :- ) I know I will.