Author Topic: Unreal Engine 4 for ArchViz - Thoughts?  (Read 292805 times)

2018-01-17, 10:18:26
Reply #345

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Have you seen the new "Book of the dead" teaser made in Unity?
https://blog.megascans.se/2018/01/16/megascans-inspires-unitys-book-of-the-dead/

Jeez, it makes me want to play any game with graphics like this, preferably on a VR headset!
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-02-10, 07:17:04
Reply #346

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did you guys see what kind of realtime viewport is blender getting in 2.8 version?

Due to lack of GI baking it's not on unreal's level but having the same disney princibled shader used in realtime viewport as in rendering is pretty awesome.

2018-02-10, 17:38:44
Reply #347

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
^yup... also, unreal is stepping up the game

2018-02-10, 19:39:18
Reply #348

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
^yup... also, unreal is stepping up the game

A bit more than a gaming computer: Dual 1080TI in SLI, Intel Core i7 5960X, Asus X99-E WS, Corsair 64GB DDR4 2400MHz

But I can imagine it being a viable solution for certain illustration purposes. With new third-party integrations(Nextlimit, Otoy etc.), some things are worth reconsidering. Still cheaper than a professional rendering machine and software.

Also:

Still in its infancy but looks promising

...With other engines, path tracing takes hours to render accurate environments or objects. In fact, in a well-documented case, it took nearly 22 hours to render a few seconds of ray-traced crystal balls moving around a table. Brigade can take motion-captured characters in an environment with path traced lighting and real-time shadow casting and render it in real-time at 30-60 fps.

With Brigade, artists and game developers can design without rendering restrictions. There is no need for hacks, pre-bake maps or cheats.

octane for unity

Unity Demo Assets
« Last Edit: 2018-02-11, 01:39:22 by Eddoron »

2018-02-11, 07:03:27
Reply #349

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Did you guys see what kind of realtime viewport is blender getting in 2.8 version?

Due to lack of GI baking it's not on unreal's level but having the same disney princibled shader used in realtime viewport as in rendering is pretty awesome.

Yep, its getting more and more impressive. I am thinking of giving eevee a go. I wonder what they have planned lighting wise. In the first video, there are certain workflows he could have tried lightingwise to get more shadows and lights in certain areas. I am not sure if eevee supports soft shadows yet.

2018-02-11, 08:31:11
Reply #350

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile

Yep, its getting more and more impressive. I am thinking of giving eevee a go. I wonder what they have planned lighting wise. In the first video, there are certain workflows he could have tried lightingwise to get more shadows and lights in certain areas. I am not sure if eevee supports soft shadows yet.

Eevee is similar to game engines and they mostly use shadow maps. Stencil shadows in the past, a bit rare nowadays.
But to answer your question - yes, the proper blurring value has to be set:

Edit: Baking the GI or AO can be done by hand.
« Last Edit: 2018-02-11, 08:35:39 by Eddoron »

2018-02-12, 14:51:43
Reply #351

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
That's really informative. Thanks for the post, Eddoron.
« Last Edit: 2018-02-13, 16:43:27 by melviso »

2018-02-15, 08:50:00
Reply #352

Eddoron

• Active Users
  • Achieved Pedestrian
    • View Profile
There's something else I always forget, even though it's one of my favorite blogs(and now a Youtube channel).

www.simonschreibt.de

It's a blog (in English) about really cool tricks they use in the games industry.
I can't recommend this enough.

He shows effects that look very cool or CPU/gpu/memory intensive but in fact are easy to do.
 A lot of those can also be used in offline rendering.

have a look:

There's certainly something in there if you want to try archviz using Unreal(or any other real-time engine) and have it run at a decent performance.

2018-02-15, 09:20:49
Reply #353

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Tested out datasmith yesterday. Imported a 100k square foot building with materials and a few thousand pieces of furniture in less than 2 minutes. Export took about 30 seconds - 1 min.
Im guessing they figured out they could do alot of the grunt work of exporting on the frontend within max such as assigning materials to models etc.
Still a way to go with the plugin but its definitely going to be fantastic when its out of beta!

2018-02-15, 09:26:55
Reply #354

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Tested out datasmith yesterday. Imported a 100k square foot building with materials and a few thousand pieces of furniture in less than 2 minutes. Export took about 30 seconds - 1 min.
Im guessing they figured out they could do alot of the grunt work of exporting on the frontend within max such as assigning materials to models etc.
Still a way to go with the plugin but its definitely going to be fantastic when its out of beta!

I am in the beta too but so far I haven't had the time to test it out.

If you don't mind me asking, how is the material conversion? Does it create any sort of logical nodes in UE or is it better to start from scratch in case you'd want to create something more advanced?
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2018-02-15, 11:08:31
Reply #355

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I am in the beta too but so far I haven't had the time to test it out.

If you don't mind me asking, how is the material conversion? Does it create any sort of logical nodes in UE or is it better to start from scratch in case you'd want to create something more advanced?

We havent had any major issues although the node layout is a little different to what im used to. Im looking into exploring a way of making presets that i can apply on import but thats way off yet.

2018-02-16, 18:54:30
Reply #356

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Ah, cool. I'll look into  it, thanks!

My biggest issue with converters is that sometimes they create a giant mess. Now if you do smaller, less detailed stuff thats great but if you like to have complete control over materials I'd much prefer for the node editor to make at least some sense and  resemblance of a typical shader. Obviously if it converts it well it can save you time.

Looking forward to testing it out! Please do report back here with your impressions, I'd appreciate it.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2018-02-17, 14:30:19
Reply #357

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2018-03-21, 23:44:47
Reply #358

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ray tracing in unreal engine 4.

« Last Edit: 2018-03-21, 23:54:32 by philippelamoureux »

2018-03-22, 01:19:42
Reply #359

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Great post  philippelamoureux :- )

This is crazy. I wasn't expecting demos would be already out. Looks great. Where does this leave offline renderers? The problem with game engines have always been reflections. I am gathering this is for GPUs that will be released in the future. Maybe 2019 next year?
EDIT: Seems the first video required ''4x Tesla V100 connected via NVLink to run at 1080p 24fps'' Still very impressive though.