Significantly faster DOF (Depth of Field) rendering
25 (5.4%)
Sketch/Toon/Stylized shader
29 (6.2%)
Dedicated CarPaint Shader
7 (1.5%)
Dedicated fabrics shader
27 (5.8%)
Lightmix extended to materials, textures, ...
27 (5.8%)
Interactive rendering in 3ds max viewport (with gizmos, object selection, manipulation, ...)
16 (3.4%)
Rendering memory usage improvements
16 (3.4%)
Speed of rendering improvements
42 (9%)
Speed of interactive rendering improvements specifically
31 (6.7%)
GPU/Hybrid rendering
88 (18.9%)
Stability improvements (bug fixes)
12 (2.6%)
Improvements to caustics
23 (4.9%)
Thin film/coating shader
5 (1.1%)
Parsing performance optimization (e.g. for animations)
40 (8.6%)
New and better frame buffer (docked and floating)
23 (4.9%)
Further improvements to Chaos Scatter
15 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Author Topic: The most wanted feature?  (Read 524454 times)

2018-09-18, 18:05:07
Reply #525

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That is another topic. There is not a single renderer on the market that sucessfully switched from CPU to GPU rendering. There are probably some reasons behind this. One might be that you not be able to get full feature set of a CPU renderer on GPU. At this point I think it would then make more sense to remove the same features from CPU version than keep 2 renderers with 2 separate feature lists. And I think most people would still not like it...

People do seem very excited about the approach Blender is taking with Eevee though. Using a realtime GPU viewport renderer for IPR, which then often is good enough, with the option to do an offline render in their Cycles. The differences between the IPR and final render are outweighed by the relatively high quality of the viewport.

Being a non-programmer I actually can't understand why Chaos isn't taking a similar approach with Vray GPU, i.e. a viewport version. But perhaps Turing will allow that.

2018-09-18, 19:03:56
Reply #526

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That is another topic. There is not a single renderer on the market that sucessfully switched from CPU to GPU rendering.

I think at least one renderer does this, and probably others too. Arion render has the so called: Hybrid acceleration (GPU+CPU). So you don't have to choose and use two different engines, just use CPU if you want or GPU or both.
And I think I remember reading on the news that newer versions of Vray can do this too ? CPU contributing along with GPU ?

2018-09-19, 13:29:07
Reply #527

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I dont really know Arion, but I should have qualified by previous claim to renderers with significant user base ;). I can totally imagine switching Corona to GPU rendering if it had the featureset of 5 years ago, but renderers with bigger general userbase usually accumulate significant extra features that make switching hard. VRay did not switch to GPU rendering, instead it has now both CPU and GPU as separate engines. This means double development teams, support issues, etc.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2018-09-19, 17:07:53
Reply #528

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Fair enough with Arion user base and maybe Thea Presto also...
But doesn't Vray have a new mode of rendering involving both CPU + GPU collaborating on the same render ?
And I mean as some new type, after Vray v3.5 I think. So this was some new addition, and new way of hybrid rendering. And not just the regular GPU rendering in which of course the CPU will also sort out the geometry and do some 5% processing also.

2018-09-19, 17:36:47
Reply #529

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
the hybrid mode is CPU and GPU computing samples separately and then combining them in the image, it is not one rendering process split between the two. So yes, you get both CPU and GPU busy, so the rendering speed is CPU+GPU, but it cannot be used to circumvent weakness of either part (which is usually what we talk about when thinking about hybrids - like evaluating all the complex shaders on CPU and using GPU just for its brute force).
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2018-09-19, 18:18:21
Reply #530

actrask

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • actrask.com
Masks in refractions +++

2018-09-19, 20:21:03
Reply #531

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That is another topic. There is not a single renderer on the market that sucessfully switched from CPU to GPU rendering. There are probably some reasons behind this. One might be that you not be able to get full feature set of a CPU renderer on GPU. At this point I think it would then make more sense to remove the same features from CPU version than keep 2 renderers with 2 separate feature lists. And I think most people would still not like it...

People do seem very excited about the approach Blender is taking with Eevee though. Using a realtime GPU viewport renderer for IPR, which then often is good enough, with the option to do an offline render in their Cycles. The differences between the IPR and final render are outweighed by the relatively high quality of the viewport.

Being a non-programmer I actually can't understand why Chaos isn't taking a similar approach with Vray GPU, i.e. a viewport version. But perhaps Turing will allow that.

Blender seems to have lots of users...

2018-09-21, 09:35:36
Reply #532

Kalopsia

• Active Users
  • Kalopsia Visual Studio
    • View Profile
    • Kalopsia Visual Studio
the hybrid mode is CPU and GPU computing samples separately and then combining them in the image, it is not one rendering process split between the two. So yes, you get both CPU and GPU busy, so the rendering speed is CPU+GPU, but it cannot be used to circumvent weakness of either part (which is usually what we talk about when thinking about hybrids - like evaluating all the complex shaders on CPU and using GPU just for its brute force).

Interesting to know. IMO Hybrid for Corona could be great with the new ray tracing on Turing.
The idea would be to use Tensor cores for ray tracing that is instant, so you could calculate UHD Cache in realtime.

This might be used like the new denoiser you guys are working one. So in general we could use GPU for all sort of additional calculations, like bloom, glare, or even displacement.

But I guess we will have to wait and see where NVIDIA is going with this.
Rendering since 2014

2018-10-02, 18:28:21
Reply #533

Mirage24

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi everyone! I am new to your forums,

I represent a small 3D studio and we're really happy with Corona, we used Vray before, but we feel very limited with the current Corona Wire Map.

I see there was previous discussion on your forums regarding Toon Shaders, but it would be great if you guys could come up with a better solution with more control and the ability to outline shapes and geometry easily.

We have a lot of customers asking for schematic drawings and we currently have to use Vray Toon Shader to achieve the look we need, similar to the assembling manuals of Ikea.

That's it, thank you!

2018-10-02, 19:01:13
Reply #534

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+ 1 for toon/sketch shader. Im working with inhouse ArchViz and cityplanning, and find it cumbersome that Max+Corona can't deliver the "SketchUp" style that's being asked for again and again.

Please make it, and please make it soon!

2018-10-02, 21:58:49
Reply #535

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 for toon shader also.
It would be amazing if corona was the renderer that could do awesome sketch styles. Considering the archviz nature of the user base it would make perfect sense.

2018-10-03, 09:42:45
Reply #536

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Added toon shader into the poll... the poll will be probably reset after v3 is out to get unbiased results

2018-10-09, 15:52:19
Reply #537

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Clearcoat too please.
Getting a bit silly that its been asked for since beta and not addressed. Doesnt even seem to be on the trello.

2018-10-12, 10:15:21
Reply #538

Rimas

• Active Users
  • Please refer all complaints to a brick wall nearby
    • View Profile
The idea would be to use Tensor cores for ray tracing that is instant, so you could calculate UHD Cache in realtime.
Tensor cores are used for AI processing. RT cores are the ones doing the raytracing. CUDA is a third type of core where business is as usual.

That being said, I wonder if AI denoising, something like Nvidia Optix could be used for Corona.

On a side note - I've got a pair of 2080Ti GPUs and in FStorm those bastards render at the speed of 4-5 1080Tis / Titan XPs...which is mental. I'd love to see the RT cores put to work too, but Andrey said that they're pretty useless for production rendering since they only work on standard triangles (so no fur, voxels, etc). Shame, but Turing's CUDA speed is pretty damn impressive as is.
A morning of awkwardness is far better than a night of loneliness...

2018-10-12, 10:41:53
Reply #539

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
That being said, I wonder if AI denoising, something like Nvidia Optix could be used for Corona.

You can download Corona 3 daily build and find your answer there.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures