Author Topic: Material packs for C4D  (Read 10393 times)

2019-03-17, 17:58:50
Reply #15

jojorender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,
I never found material libraries particularly useful.
In my view, things like texture quality, final render size, personal taste, etc vary largely and materials from most libraries are never really a perfect fit. That said, I do understand the convince to “just drop something in” and move on, but that almost never looks any good.
Everything looks good on a shader ball!

I think it would be a lot more useful for everybody, if the Corona team posts a “material scene”. For example a interior/ exterior arch-viz scene with high quality materials applied. This would give everyone a good starting point and the ability to dissect materials, understand how they are correctly applied, how the scene is lit and quickly experiment with variations. A scene like this could grow over time when new shaders etc become available.

To give an example, to this day I’m not really happy with the look of my stainless steel kitchen appliances. Of course I can make a stainless steel material or get one from a lib, but when applied, it lacks realism. Missing variation in anisotropy, subtle fingerprints, dents, etc. If I had a scene where I can see how a pro builds/stacks materials and I can see the rendered results, that would help me a lot more than 50 “different” metals from a lib.

This could even be a forum feature, if a user believes he/she can improve the scene, to upload their variation.
Of course not everybody here is in arch-viz, but the same principle applies.   

Maybe I missed the point and this thread is not about improving your skills…

2019-03-19, 10:46:06
Reply #16

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes I agree that it's not so much that a library is needed - more that guidance is needed to make sure you're building materials the 'right' way.

A couple of pro-built scenes that have been checked by the corona devs would be really useful. There was the Slashcube Paris scene wasn't there? That was pretty stunning. Maybe someone could update that as a starting point (as some Corona features have been tweaked since that scene was built).

2019-03-19, 19:58:36
Reply #17

jojorender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
..it's not so much that a library is needed - more that guidance is needed to make sure you're building materials the 'right' way.
Well put, davetwo. That’s exactly what I was trying to say with my long and winding post. ;-)
I do remember the “Paris Apt” scene, that’s a great example.

Of course no developer should be tied up in creating this, but I saw that the Corona Team has a freelancer job posting out, for a new 3ds Max Material Library Creator.
Maybe it’s possible to hire a talented c4d guy to create some “material scenes” under Render Legions supervision, so we don’t feel “left out”.

2019-03-21, 09:33:55
Reply #18

Merlin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi
Whats about the http://coronamaterials.com/ site? . I think she is down or out of funktion. I can not download any material.
Why is ther no Mat Library like 3dMax for Cinema4D ?
Are there any plans for it?

Greets
Ralf

Hey, Ralf I created these two packs from the Shader Corona for cinema 4d
For those who are interested

https://www.behance.net/gallery/77187631/Corona-shaders-pack-for-Cinema-4D-Synthetic-materials

https://www.behance.net/gallery/75981593/Corona-shaders-pack-for-Cinema-4D-v10