Author Topic: windows version  (Read 4398 times)

2018-06-07, 13:18:49

gpz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
i bought a new pc with amd ryzen 7 2700.
which kind of version of windows do you suggest to use?

thanks

2018-06-07, 13:37:31
Reply #1

mlon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
new pc.
new os.

so.. win 10 64bit home or pro.

mlon

2018-06-07, 14:56:56
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
new pc.
new os.

so.. win 10 64bit home or pro.
and remember to keep it updated
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-06-08, 01:51:46
Reply #3

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Windows 7 all the way! I've even bought a spare OEM disk recently in case I couldn't find one for when I build my new computer a year or two from now.

2018-06-08, 09:16:35
Reply #4

diffuus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am using Windows 10 for about one year now, but I would still love to go back to Windows 7.
For me there are (small) 3 things that keep me annoying a lot:

- You can't stop Windows 10 from rebooting when it thinks it has to reboot for an update. It warns you a few hours in advance, but then it forces the reboot, no matter if a render is going on or not. This is not a problem on your daily workstation, but I have lost several renders on my slaves during the night.
- Windows 10 always switches back to the "Edge" browser as your default PDF reader, even if you assign acrobat as your default. As a work with a lot of very large PDF files, this Edge PDF viewer sucks like hell. (I know you can always click right and choose "open with", but what's the point in knowing better than your user, Microsoft? Imitating Apple or what?)
- The new internal image viewer is no improvement either. It takes 3 seconds to display a large image from blurry to sharp and has some time consuming effect when you delete an image. The previous one was fast and sharp from the start. (I know there are better images viewers on the market, but why turn a good app into a bad thing, Microsoft?) (I have reverted to the old viewer via a reg edit, but with every update Microsoft is removing my changes. thanks!)

2018-06-08, 18:10:00
Reply #5

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
About win10 - Check the LTSB (Long Term Servicing Branch) version
explained in detail: https://www.howtogeek.com/273824/windows-10-without-the-cruft-windows-10-ltsb-explained/

2018-06-08, 18:14:14
Reply #6

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
- You can't stop Windows 10 from rebooting when it thinks it has to reboot for an update.
Yeh that really is unbelievable MS gives no easy way to prevent this. I have found that if I stop the windows update service and disable it, it hasn't rebooted. but it also doesnt update :)

2018-06-08, 21:50:21
Reply #7

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I want a check box in Windows Settings that says "Don't ever reboot without my consent"

2018-06-09, 06:29:31
Reply #8

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
I want a check box in Windows Settings that says "Don't ever reboot without my consent"
In Windows 7, this is possible (I do this)

2018-06-15, 10:53:39
Reply #9

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
In my opinion even if you take all the privacy issues away from it even then W10 is a system barely usable for professionals. Admittedly, I haven't used it since the early days (2016) but from what I am reading online it is still quite problematic. Windows as a service model (Aka there will be no W11) kind of perpetuates that. In my opinion that is potentially good for the regular consumers (Sort of like Android and iOS) but as a "professional" user thats a bit of a no go for me.

Updates are the biggest issue for me. In prior Windows versions you got regular security fixes and features as an addon. Windows version stayed the same and so did your settings. In W10, from my experience at least, when Fall / Spring updates hit then thats essentially the next Windows version. Some of your settings reset, some programs start behaving weirdly, Edge is your primary browser etc... Not to mention that apparently W10 has a need to reboot itself often and its going to do that regardless if you like it or not (Apparently that is still the case).

There is the "defer features" update option but from my understanding it only delays the installing of new features? If so it seems like a step in the right direction but not quite what I want. I just want the security updates and then the ability to update everything every 2 years or something.

Maybe I am being too harsh and I should give it another go but from what I hear from most people, the things that irked me before are mostly still there. That is why I am still on 8.1 and it works really great for me (privacy crap aside). Plus I get to keep extra VRAM for the GPUs :P

If I were buying a new version of Windows though I'd probably consider W10 just because extended support for 8 is going to end in a couple of years. That said I'd probably end up with getting 8.1 and ride it out until the extended support ends in 2023. That is a long time. Maybe by then the ever swinging circus called Microsoft will reinvent the wheel with W11...
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2018-06-15, 18:02:22
Reply #10

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There is the "defer features" update option but from my understanding it only delays the installing of new features? If so it seems like a step in the right direction but not quite what I want. I just want the security updates and then the ability to update everything every 2 years or something.
I made my own defer feature by disabling the windows update service. I occasionally turn it back on when I have a stopping point, update and then disable it.

2018-06-15, 18:10:17
Reply #11

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Mandatory security updates are good thing. With botnets featuring hundreds of thousands of computers, it is public safety issue as much as e.g. defective car recalls

The problem with Windows updates are:
  • Restarts. Linux receives way more updates than windows, but its kernel is written bottom-up to require as few restarts as possible on updates. This is logical because it is used primarily for servers. Do you want Corona website down every morning for updates? No. But most people turn off their computers for the night, so it is actually pretty logical for MS to not invest into this huge complication.
  • There is really no way to separate feature and security updates. Only security updates should be mandatory (as in forced restart at some point).
  • Microsoft pushing edge, resetting defaults, resetting privacy controls, ... This is just dick move, but it is not caused by updates. It is choice by Microsoft. You should hate Windows, not Windows update. They just hide this beyond updates, but there is technical connection. As with many other services (facebook, youtube), you are not just the customer, you are also the product microsoft is selling to zynga and other advertisers. But it is not because of windows update ;))
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2018-06-15, 23:03:32
Reply #12

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@Ondra, I definitely agree that security updates are a must. For the general population the way Windows 10 works is probably fine. Its a lot more like a mobile OS in that regard, at least to me.

Where I have a problem with it is for "pro" use. So pretty much what you said there :) Crappy stuff. Its double crappy because otherwise I quite like the OS :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us