Author Topic: 3ds Max different uvw maps on one object  (Read 1833 times)

2017-04-02, 15:40:34

Kallikroete

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there,

quite regularly I come across an issue with uvw mapping in 3ds max, for which I can't seem to find the right Google search for to solve it myself.

Let's say you have a couple of instanced chairs that are not properly mapped.
 If I didn't care about the instances, I could just go to the sub object level, select some polygons, apply the desired mapping, collapse everything and repeat that process until the whole object is mapped correctly.

But if I want to keep the instances I can't do that.
I think I could use different map channels, but as far is I understand, this would make it impossible to use a material on two objects with different map channel structures.

In the official interior rendering tutorial on YouTube LudvĂ­k almost would have shown a solution, but luckily for him (and unfortunately for me) his chairs where mapped correctly.

Do you guys have any methods on hand that keep the instances alive, and allow for the applied material to be used on other object?

Any help or suggestion what to search for is highly appreciated!

2017-04-02, 16:06:08
Reply #1

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Not sure I fully understand your problem, but here a couple of hints that might help you (if you don't already know it):

- any change on sub-object level will be carried on to all instances

- to collapse an instanced object without breaking the instancing, you need to choose "collapse to" (and NOT "collapse all")

- you can use different materials on instances. If a material is applied to one or all instances is depending on the "propagate to instances" settings in the ME

Hope it helps

2017-04-02, 16:10:05
Reply #2

Kallikroete

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks PROH!

That answers my question in any concearn, perfect!

Thank you :)