Author Topic: New Corona Benchmark  (Read 737 times)

2023-07-29, 19:03:44

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can someone please explain why is the new benchmark better to evaluate performance? In the old benchmark, the performance was measured in seconds and now it is only in Rays/s.

A practical example:

On the old benchmark, the 13900k was around 37 seconds, and my current workstation was 43 seconds. A 14% difference.
On the new benchmark, the 13900K is around 13,000,000, and my workstation is 8,000,000. A 62,5% difference.

2023-07-31, 17:11:32
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Because the top end of modern processors were getting into less than 10 seconds, and not properly able to illustrate the performance difference between processors. It's fine when there is a 5 second gap, but as CPUs get faster and faster, that was getting impossible small in the higher end stuff. I wouldn't compare old and new Benchmark differences, since different things are being measured - but for the sake of illustration, think of results on an elastic band, and the new one stretches that out so that there are visible differences at the high end (so I guess larger differences away from the high end are to be expected). And the plus point is the elastic band never needs to be stretched again, no matter how fast CPUs get the rays/s measure will always be usable :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2023-08-02, 14:24:26
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
On the old benchmark, the 13900k was around 37 seconds, and my current workstation was 43 seconds. A 14% difference.
On the new benchmark, the 13900K is around 13,000,000, and my workstation is 8,000,000. A 62,5% difference.

Perhaps in the old benchmark the 13900K was not performing to its full potential, or there is some issue with your current workstation that is causing it to get too low scores. Are you getting correct scores in other benchmark apps? (for example https://www.maxon.net/en/cinebench and https://www.chaos.com/vray/benchmark)
Generally, I would guess the difference between the performance of two identical CPUs should be similar in the old and the new benchmark.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-08-13, 23:19:30
Reply #3

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My workstation is completely fine regarding all other traditional benchmarks. I still don't get this new Corona benchmark.