Author Topic: [solved] Please release a camera shift hotfix for 1.7  (Read 9577 times)

2017-12-09, 09:43:55

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I bet a large majority of users of Corona (the archviz crowd) uses the camera shift function on a daily basis and right now the corona camera is useless in 1.7 because of this not working. I see that shift is working in the dailies, but you yourself (corona team) are saying that they're not recommended for production use. 1.7 is incomplete, please release a hotfix.

edit: typo
« Last Edit: 2018-02-28, 09:36:27 by Ondra »

2017-12-09, 15:04:57
Reply #1

Marijan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1,  bump converter working correctly with procedural maps would be another nice addition for hotfix :)

2017-12-09, 16:47:26
Reply #2

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
+1!
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-12-11, 15:21:18
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
sorry, this will have to wait for next stable version. There is always that "one more" feature that should make it into the release (and after release into the hotfix). We have to cut the line somewhere. You can try using the current daily builds, there are AFAIK no new bugs reported for it.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-12-11, 15:28:17
Reply #4

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
sorry, this will have to wait for next stable version. There is always that "one more" feature that should make it into the release (and after release into the hotfix). We have to cut the line somewhere. You can try using the current daily builds, there are AFAIK no new bugs reported for it.

Kind of disappointed to hear that Ondra! As a few of us mentioned, 2.0 is obviously going to be a major version upgrade, so quite a few of us are unlikely to be in a position to move to 2.0 for some time after it's released, which means we're stuck on 1.7 with a broken camera. We're hitting this bug every day with every view we set up on every project.

Is there no way you can port the fix over to 1.7? This isn't some new feature from 2.0 that we're asking you to bring into 1.7, which would totally not be reasonable - it's a fix for a bug...
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-12-11, 15:32:09
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
yes, it would be possible (we would be taking risks of more bugs and more hotfixes though), but as I said, this is about drawing a line in the development - we need to focus now on v2 instead of re-testing everything for another hotfix
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-12-11, 17:58:44
Reply #6

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What's wrong with just using the normal Physical Camera where the shift works as expected?  Is there a link anywhere for the benefits of the Corona Cam over the Physical Cam?

Also, on the other hand, it's pretty poor to say "we know it's broken, but we're not going to fix it, even though we sold it to you as working"

Personally I'd rather wait for v2 a bit longer if it means my current broken product gets fixed.

2017-12-11, 18:03:23
Reply #7

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
What's wrong with just using the normal Physical Camera where the shift works as expected?  Is there a link anywhere for the benefits of the Corona Cam over the Physical Cam?

Also, on the other hand, it's pretty poor to say "we know it's broken, but we're not going to fix it, even though we sold it to you as working"

Personally I'd rather wait for v2 a bit longer if it means my current broken product gets fixed.

the integration of the tone mapping/exp controls directly in the new camera is a huge time-saver (mostly. we're finding it a bit annoying not being able to copy/instance over these settings from one coronacamera to another - I hope that might be addressed at some point somehow), plus IR doesn't constantly refresh with every mouse movement using the new coronacamera, so these are two huge benefits over physcam.

I agree that releasing a broken feature and then not fixing it in the current major version is huge frustrating! Either the new feature (the camera) should have been kept back for 2.0 or it needs fixing in 1.7 really... come on guys!
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-12-11, 19:26:50
Reply #8

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be

the integration of the tone mapping/exp controls directly in the new camera is a huge time-saver (mostly. we're finding it a bit annoying not being able to copy/instance over these settings from one coronacamera to another - I hope that might be addressed at some point somehow), plus IR doesn't constantly refresh with every mouse movement using the new coronacamera, so these are two huge benefits over physcam.

I agree that releasing a broken feature and then not fixing it in the current major version is huge frustrating! Either the new feature (the camera) should have been kept back for 2.0 or it needs fixing in 1.7 really... come on guys!

Hi Alex,
I understand your request, same as I understand Ondra's point of view.
But if you are only talking about the integration of tone mapping and exp controls, the good old  CoronaCamerMod(ifier) can be your solution.
Although I hardly can imagine you are not aware of this.

2017-12-11, 23:49:03
Reply #9

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I am also a bit unhappy about fix not making it into a hotfix, since CoronaCamera is one of major 1.7 features, and at the same time, tilt/shift is so frequently used for ArchViz work. So the fact it does not work correctly pretty much removes CoronaCamera from 1.7 new features list for many ArchViz users as it can not be relied on yet. And its current state persisting until Corona 2 release will also probably make some users as skeptical about CoronaCamera the same way they currently are about 3ds Max Physical Camera.

Unfortunately, even the old Camera Correction modifier doesn't work with CoronaCamera.

2017-12-12, 10:26:10
Reply #10

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would understand the reluctance if it was a new feature from the dailies, but corona camera is, like Ludvik said, a major feature of 1.7 and it doesn't work. 1.7 is unfinished, it's not what you advertised and promised. I don't see how that is a hard line to draw; release what was promised. Leaving unfinished functions because you can't be bothered is a bit worrisome.

2017-12-12, 12:17:51
Reply #11

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Software, is the only 'industry' I can think of where selling 'broken' products is deemed acceptable by the seller.  It just doesn't happen anywhere else.  Everything gets returned/replaced if you buy it and it's not as advertised.

Hotfixes are the solution for the software industry and that's fine, as we understand it's not as simple as just replacing there and then with a working version.  But ... to say you just have to wait for the next 'model' isn't great at all.

It's increasingly frustrating when you see on the road map, 'New VFB Skin', something which isn't needed imo, yet time is being spent on it ahead of fixing something critical.

2017-12-13, 17:35:18
Reply #12

Luis.Goncalves

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maybe 2.0 will be the release that fixes all of those bugs that we wish were fixed a long time ago. In my case the ">Scene" working as intended and not braking instances.

Me and my colleagues always smile when we see new features announced in the road map and old ones not being fixed...

Happy Christmas everyone (i'm gonna wish Santa Claus to help the corona team to develop a smooth 2.0 version so we can all be happy :)   

2018-01-17, 11:36:28
Reply #13

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
I'm jumping in here again to offer one last "plea" for you fine Corona devs to please roll this fix out into a final 1.7 hotfix.

2.0 is still a way off, it seems, and even when it is released we, like most others, are unlikely to jump on it until at least 1 hotfix is out, so we're stuck with a broken CoronaCamera for quite some time. This bug is super annoying and causing regular issues with every viewpoint on every project. Plugging in 24mm into your camera settings and then shifting quickly turns that camera into more like a 17mm or similar, making it very hard to quickly nail down views at the classic focal lengths. It also makes it impossible to quickly extend previous renders, which was dead easy previously, when shift was completely reliable.

It's pretty frustrating knowing that you've already fixed this long ago and you're sitting on the fix, refusing to roll it out. Is it really likely to break something else if literally only that fix is included in the update? With a simple "legacy" checkbox included, so that coronacameras already using tilt/shift aren't then affected unexpectedly, of course, as would be necessary.

You've already said no to this multiple times, so I'm not expecting a sudden "yeh ok" but I felt it worthwhile harassing you one last time.

For what it's worth also, I really strongly encourage you not to release a super useful amazing new feature that's not fully tested and working solidly, if you're at the end of a major release product cycle and not going to be supporting it any more. This wouldn't have been an issue at all if it had been saved for a 2.0 daily build.

And no, it's not possible for us to go back to using the PhysCam. The constant IR refreshes were a massive time-sink, and having tone mapping/exp built right into the coronacamera is not something we're willing to drop again, just so we can get reliable shift back into our workflow.

Cheers,
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2018-01-17, 19:38:48
Reply #14

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile