Author Topic: DoF & MB noise  (Read 29642 times)

2014-12-12, 09:42:56
Reply #15

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Lights in your scene are generally too strong, overexposed areas that are strongly motion-blurred are always hard to render. The bucket one seems quite clean to me. Considering amount of motion blur, objects move so fast there's just no way in the hell anyone would notice any noise at that speed, if it's an animation and not a still frame. So either decrease strength of those illuminating materials, increase highlight compression, let it render longer, or leave it the way it is.

I doubt any other renderer would handle it significantly better. If you make scene intentionally very difficult for renderer, and just throw it on it, it will always be hard to render and will take a while. If it's supposed to be a proof that the renderer can't handle something, then that's okay, and well done, but if it's a job you need to finish before deadline, then you've got to think about how to simplify or fake some things, and how to do some compromises, in order to get it done before time runs out.

2014-12-12, 10:14:21
Reply #16

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You're right. This scene is too difficult to render in straight way. But this is just an example of things in other scenes with DoF or MB. I have scenes where all is good except this fu...g DoF. And to make pictures clean I need to switch to BUCKET MODE with very agressive setup that leads to huge rendertimes. Plus BUCKET MODE has no DR support, so this huge rendertimes possible to render on one PC only.

2014-12-12, 10:20:12
Reply #17

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Yup, as i said, if you make a very difficult scene and just try to throw it on a renderer, it's not gonna work. Or it will, but it will be slow. In such extreme cases, going with GI/AA as low as 1 may be worth it. But i think the best way is to fake it.

2014-12-12, 10:41:02
Reply #18

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I hope adaptivity will be in PROGRESSIVE MODE in future. Or, and it will be the best way, we will see Deep compositing possibilities in Corona.

2014-12-12, 10:47:41
Reply #19

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
It's not bad. This scene is very complex, cause bright lights. I don't know if in VRay you could have better result...

2014-12-12, 11:08:58
Reply #20

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I hope adaptivity will be in PROGRESSIVE MODE in future. Or, and it will be the best way, we will see Deep compositing possibilities in Corona.

How's deep compositing related to this?

2014-12-12, 15:22:24
Reply #21

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Playing with the scene a lot found the best way to render this.
Edit:
Half way there... a little cheat, but one minute render using Motion Blur and DOF.
Now the issue is isolated to the "strong point lights". Those is better to compose later.
« Last Edit: 2014-12-12, 22:22:01 by borisquezadaa »
What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...

2014-12-12, 21:40:41
Reply #22

Captain Obvious

• Active Users
    • View Profile
One relatively simple way of dealing with stuff like this is to render to double resolution, run denoising there and then scaling down. Typically gives much better results, because you get more leverage for denoising without detail loss. When rendering an animation you can use video denoising plugins like NeatVideo or DE:Noise, which both usually work quite well. You can also denoise via motion vectors but you'll need Fusion or Nuke or something similar to pull that off.

2014-12-13, 02:14:09
Reply #23

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
yeah neatvideo is great idea for denoise solution. i have spent much time to play with the scene, there were no useful point i get for the result. going with GI/AA as low as 1 like rawalanche said gives me no big different. i think post production is the only one best solution we can reach. but have anyone here try the scene with other renderer?

2014-12-13, 02:26:29
Reply #24

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Yes, me. Look at my thread.
borisquezadaa, can you share with us your solution? =)

2014-12-13, 05:48:33
Reply #25

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
sorry, i didn't open your thread.
and borisquezadaa, what is your little cheat?

2014-12-13, 05:50:57
Reply #26

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
to_borisquezadaa:
1 minute for frame is very good, but this image has nothing similar with what i'm wanted to reach. This scene is just a reference to global problem. I have many scenes with highlights from different sources and can't reach clean DoF or MB at this areas. Don't think that this particular solution willdo any job at those images. Of course we can find many different solutions in many different scenes, but I started to use Corona for its simplicity and no fake solutions. So this way is not what I expected to use.

to_cecofuli:
I can't see images in Your post unfortunately.

2014-12-13, 05:56:22
Reply #27

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Im ashamed... its simple "cheat" but works.
1.- Hide all the chrome balls.
2.- Render lowres (800x400) hemispherical sequence images for all frames.
3.- Create a new material all "zero" except autoilumination, and load the image sequence created in step 2 (make shure that spherical coordinates are used in the sphere) and aply to chromeballs. (Later i think it could work using rayswitcher material. The main idea is to bake the reflections over spheres so corona does not have to calculate those, maybe rayswitch can be a more elegant solution who knows).
4.- Select ligth material -> exclude all chrome spheres.
5.- Hit render.

Also the hotspot ligths can be composed over if  you do a "only ligth" pass and instead of save the beauty just save the alpha.
That pass can be composed and you can even change color or exposure in photoshop or after affects... but that is more tricky.

By the way, those ligth streaks over chrome balls can be achieved if instead of saving crappy jpgs as i did you save in a format that has more depth like exrs.

I could not find any examples of what happens with those hot spots under dof and moblur so i dont know for shure if they dim or get stronger.
« Last Edit: 2014-12-13, 06:03:30 by borisquezadaa »

2014-12-13, 06:01:31
Reply #28

fobus

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Im ashamed... its simple "cheat" but works.
1.- Hide all the chrome balls.
2.- Render lowres (800x400) hemispherical sequence images for all frames.
3.- Create a new material all "zero" except autoilumination, and load the image sequence created in step 2 (make shure that spherical coordinates are used in the sphere) and aply to chromeballs. (Later i think it could work using rayswitcher material. The main idea is to bake the reflections over spheres so corona does not have to calculate those, maybe rayswitch can be a more elegant solution who knows).
4.- Select ligth material -> exclude all chrome spheres.
5.- Hit render.

no comments

2014-12-13, 06:06:50
Reply #29

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well... at nigth inside a car with polarized glass that pass through at high speed... no one can see the difference.... XD.
The issue is indeed the sampling. (4 minutes beauty, 33 secs light pass compo in photoshop light alpha pass to screen).
« Last Edit: 2014-12-13, 06:44:13 by borisquezadaa »